What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Euro Cup evolution

siv

First Grade
Seems the RLEF is looking at evolving the Euro Cup / Shield / Bowl or A B C grouos according to the IRL podcast

3 tiers

With the top 6 nation tier broken in two with 2 x 3 grouos

Jim from Oz

Juniors
Seems the RLEF is looking at evolving the Euro Cup / Shield / Bowl or A B C grouos according to the IRL podcast

3 tiers

With the top 6 nation tier broken in two with 2 x 3 grouos
So what will be the teams in A, B and C?
I presume England, Wales and France in Pool A?

Pommy

Coach
Has the super league got a mid season break in 2020? I know they didn’t do it this year but I’m hoping it’s a one off.

Jim from Oz

Juniors
Let’s face it, it’s very hard to find a week’s break when you have an idiotically long 29-game season, with ludicrous loop fixtures , plus challenge cup matches etc

Pommy

Coach
Let’s face it, it’s very hard to find a week’s break when you have an idiotically long 29-game season, with ludicrous loop fixtures , plus challenge cup matches etc

they managed it for two seasons so it’s not that hard. Do it origin weekend so nrl players can be involved.

deluded pom?

Coach
I’ve seen it mentioned, but not confirmed, that England will play a mid season game when a full SL round is scheduled with no more than three players selected from one club.

Springs09

Juniors
I dont mind 3 team pools if there's 2 pools in the top tier, like -
A - England, Wales, Ireland
B - France, Scotland, Italy

Could even have a cross-pool game so each team gets 3 games like pools c and d in the 2013 and 2017 World Cups.

England v Wales
France v Italy
Ireland v Scotland

England v Italy
Wales v Ireland
France v Scotland

England v Ireland
Wales v France
Scotland v Italy

Final - 1st A v 1st B

welshmagpie

Juniors
I dont mind 3 team pools if there's 2 pools in the top tier, like -
A - England, Wales, Ireland
B - France, Scotland, Italy

Could even have a cross-pool game so each team gets 3 games like pools c and d in the 2013 and 2017 World Cups.

England v Wales
France v Italy
Ireland v Scotland

England v Italy
Wales v Ireland
France v Scotland

England v Ireland
Wales v France
Scotland v Italy

Final - 1st A v 1st B

fingers crossed they take that approach else the Celtic nations and France will be going from 3 annual games to just 2 - thats regression.

welshmagpie

Juniors
Just listened to the podcast, a few bits not mentioned in this thread:

- The move is in order to be more attractive to broadcast partners. The RLEF put the WCQs to potential partners but NOBODY wanted it.

- Some announcements to be made before Christmas.

- 2 groups of 3 in a top tier of 6.

- A final (to appeal to broadcasts) ‘flagship event’ and a ‘trophy lift’

- 2022 Euros will also include a relegation play off with Euro B winner.

Springs09

Juniors
fingers crossed they take that approach else the Celtic nations and France will be going from 3 annual games to just 2 - thats regression.

Well yes and no. Wales and France played no tests this year.

And yes, regression - exactly what the current format of the Oceania Cup is.

It really shouldn't be hard to give the Euro Nations regular games. Ex:
Year 1 - Euro Six Nations w/England using the above format. Possible tests v touring sides.
Year 2 - 8-team IRL tournament. WC Qualifiers for Euro Nations not involved.
Year 3 - The regular European Cup while England is touring/hosting tours. Tests v touring sides such as Australia, NZ or Tonga.
Year 4 - World Cup.

bazza

Referee
Should be sets of 4 nations
Play each other once over 3 weeks then final (can have relegation 3v4 as well if you want)

A: England, France, Wales, Scotland/Ireland

England could be a chance of winning a game (or at least scoring a couple of tries)

Latest posts