What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Richo's Vision

some11

Referee
"In my opinion, the NRL should be 22 rounds, three standalone State of Origins, a wonderful Nines competition played around the world and on top of that you have international football.

"With less fixtures you would have better quality of players playing less games but playing value-added games.

"Our major competitor [AFL] doesn’t have international football and they don’t have Nines but what we can’t do is just add them on, we have to have a plan."

Agree 100%, less reg season games is a no brainer - should hopefully reduce the amount of absolute trash games we have to endure. A win means more when you can't just drop a few games and get your shit together a few weeks later.

taste2taste

Juniors
"In my opinion, the NRL should be 22 rounds, three standalone State of Origins, a wonderful Nines competition played around the world and on top of that you have international football.

"With less fixtures you would have better quality of players playing less games but playing value-added games.

"Our major competitor [AFL] doesn’t have international football and they don’t have Nines but what we can’t do is just add them on, we have to have a plan."

Agree 100%, less reg season games is a no brainer - should hopefully reduce the amount of absolute trash games we have to endure. A win means more when you can't just drop a few games and get your shit together a few weeks later.
110% agree with the season being too long and having too many games that don't matter. I like the NFL less is more approach. A 16 game season where every game matters and every game is played with the intensity of a semi. Bigger games = bigger crowds = bigger TV audience.
You know our season is too long when Trent Robinson doesn't even bother getting the Roosters out of 3rd gear until a month before the semis.

I'm not surprised Richos plan was dumped by the NRL. Richo has great passion for the growth of the international game while the NRL doesn't see any value in it.

Diesel

Referee
Richo makes a lot of good points. I’m interested to know what level of expansion is included. 18 team comp playing everyone once (17) plus your pool once again (5)

3 pools of 6 teams.

Spot On

Coach
So only 2 less games per club per season than we had this year?

If we're going less is more then let's gave a decent crack hey.

While we are at it, can we piss the interchange off or does Toddy need a Royal Commission into it before making a decision?

gerg

Juniors
Richo's vision vs Greenberg's eyeballing, with Matt Elliott adjudicating... who takes it?

Perth Red

Post Whore
Nrl get $20mill for nz tv. $13mill for warriors, $2mill for cost of nz in comp. $5mill a year should be going to nzrl to further develop the game and future nrl players in that country. Cost neutral for the nrl.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Richo makes a lot of good points. I’m interested to know what level of expansion is included. 18 team comp playing everyone once (17) plus your pool once again (5)

3 pools of 6 teams.

in the ideal world it’d be working towards a twenty team comp with 19 rounds plus two magic rounds (sold to highest city bidder anywhere in world) for a 21 game season imo.

While we are at it, can we piss the interchange off or does Toddy need a Royal Commission into it before making a decision?

It isn't going to happen mate. The days of players "playing injured" like they did in the 1960s-80s is gone. If they got rid of it, you could bet down the track some player who wound up staying on the field whilst injured, and who's playing career got cut short would sue the NRL over it.

Spot On

Coach
It isn't going to happen mate. The days of players "playing injured" like they did in the 1960s-80s is gone. If they got rid of it, you could bet down the track some player who wound up staying on the field whilst injured, and who's playing career got cut short would sue the NRL over it.

Can always have a few interchanges and the ability to replace an injured player/HIA.

We do not need the current 8 interchanges though. That is simply BS.

They must reduce it again. Might be able to live with 4.

Springs09

Juniors

You wouldn't think it would be too hard

9s (March)
NRL - First 11 rounds (March-May)
Mid-season rep window (Origin, test series) (May-June)
NRL - 2nd 11 rounds (June-August)
Finals (September)
8-10 week international season (October-November)

While they're at it f**k half of the pre-season off too. I've never understood why clubs had to start training at the end of October with players busting their arse in the summer heat for 5 months before even playing a game, especially when the NRL and NRL clubs talk about how players can't play too many internationals because of player welfare. I'd much rather be playing for my country than running up hills for 3 hours in 45 degree heat.

flippikat

Bench

9s (March)
Finals (September)

Exactly.

Now, if TV needs more games in that May-June rep window I've suggested in the past that we could have NSW Cup teams play Qld Cup teams in "inter-league" rounds (if both competitions have the same number of teams).. either as stand alone matches or curtain-raisers for Origin.

Not all the inter-league matches need to be televised, but if a few each weekend are needed to fill schedules it may help? All games in interleague play would count towards the competition tables.

Diesel

Referee

9s (March)
Finals (September)

I think this is good except the GF won’t move from the long weekend in October

Can always have a few interchanges and the ability to replace an injured player/HIA.

We do not need the current 8 interchanges though. That is simply BS.

They must reduce it again. Might be able to live with 4.

Reducing it is a possibility, but that was not what you said which is why I replied as I did. Anyway, have a good day :)

Spot On

Coach
Reducing it is a possibility, but that was not what you said which is why I replied as I did. Anyway, have a good day :)

All good.

But they can piss it off altogether and make simple provisions if a player/players are injured and people are worried they will be sued in 20 yrs time.

It ain't that hard. They aren't in the trenches being shot at.

Yes, injuries will happen but it is by no means impossible to cater for that with a couple players on the bench able to be used in those cases.

If the HIA can be catered for so can a player unable to return to field of play due to other injury if people are going to do their nana over it.

Springs09

Juniors
Exactly.

Now, if TV needs more games in that May-June rep window I've suggested in the past that we could have NSW Cup teams play Qld Cup teams in "inter-league" rounds (if both competitions have the same number of teams).. either as stand alone matches or curtain-raisers for Origin.

Not all the inter-league matches need to be televised, but if a few each weekend are needed to fill schedules it may help? All games in interleague play would count towards the competition tables.

I think TV could have plenty of international games if the NRL and RFL had faith in internationals.

For example you could have several 3-test series running concurrently:
- England v NZ
- Tonga v Samoa
- Fiji v PNG
- Italy v Lebanon
- Cook Islands v France
- Ireland v Scotland
- Wales v Greece

And mix it up each year, for example in a 4-year cycle NZ could play mid-season series v England, Tonga, Samoa and PNG. The other thing they could do is have mid-season tours, say France could tour the Pacific and play PNG, Fiji and Samoa. Or Fiji could tour Europe and play France, Wales and Ireland.

There is plenty of opportunity for internationals mid-season if we are willing to try some things but I suppose it will never be as attractive as Origin-ravaged Manly v Gold Coast on Thursday night in front of 6000 people at Brookvale.

adamkungl

Immortal
Not a word in that article was off the mark, Richo has absolutely nailed it.

I've been very sceptical of Richo over the years. His Platinum League idea was a bit of a stinker.
But looking back through his previous arguments over the last decade, it's clear that I was wrong, he is one of the few powerbrokers in NRL or Club land that is capable of seeing something bigger and better.

Richo for NRL CEO

Latest posts