What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Brian Johnston quits

Wittenberg

Juniors
He is not new to the role , remembering he was the incumbent at Saints when commencing the merging with Illawarra. He oversaw the process and was universally praised for undertaking a difficult task and completing it in a highly efficient manner. It must be remembered that the branding and market image of the new entity retained very strong universal links with St.G. He was seen as being responsible for much of this, having to contend with competing interest from Illawarra who resisted strongly. Ill health forced his retirement then, I trust that is not the case now.
You make some good points Hard Yards. I hope it isn't his health, and you are right Brian Johnston Mk1 achieved some things that he should be proud of, but his reincarnation has been a disaster.

rasaint

Juniors
I will simply say that I had regular contact with Brian J in the 80s. Socially and in a group training in off season.

Always a gentleman, no big head and incredible speed and overall fitness. Over 40 metres from standing start could keep the guy who ran third in Australian 100 metre titles to 1/2 a metre. His family in Dunnedoo were known as salt of the earth.

Of course, it’s now many years down the track, but always seemed to keep many values and dignity whenever I saw or heard him at the odd interview. I understand had a very serious health difficulty in early 2000s which pathed the way for Peter Dowst etc.

wish him well

Old Kogarah Boy 1

First Grade
So a CEO and eight coaching staff have gone but we still have Mary. What does he have over the Club?

Now the pieces of the puzzle are starting to fall into place.

Craig Young to ceo, purposely sacks McGregor mid season so the his son Dean, can take over, with Flano guiding him for 1.5 seasons.

Flank then returns to sharks while Dean Young learns to fly solo.

If McGregor lasted 5-6 seasons, surely Young will get at least the same time again.

Look no further, people.
The world is still flat.

blacksafake

First Grade
Was a fan of his in his playing days but have been really disappointed in his 2nd tenure as CEO. Has been like the Tasmanian devil, sightings but no confirmation or proof that he’s around. Not to mention the total lack of communication with supporters especially by email. I have emailed on numerous occasions in the last year & not ONE reply. Even the automatic reply from the club acknowledging your email was stopped.
If as mentioned that Young will takeover I will just about be done with these morons. He was a legend of the club, tough as but by reports an arrogant thug just the same.

R&WTILLIDIE

First Grade
Was a fan of his in his playing days but have been really disappointed in his 2nd tenure as CEO. Has been like the Tasmanian devil, sightings but no confirmation or proof that he’s around. Not to mention the total lack of communication with supporters especially by email. I have emailed on numerous occasions in the last year & not ONE reply. Even the automatic reply from the club acknowledging your email was stopped.
If as mentioned that Young will takeover I will just about be done with these morons. He was a legend of the club, tough as but by reports an arrogant thug just the same.

This team has always been run by a bunch of arrogant merkins...f**k them all off I say.

Old Timer

Coach
After today's announcement my dear old St George jersey has come out from the 3rd draw of the cupboard to now hanging in the wardrobe.
It will either get worn or be burnt, so I really hope for good news re BJ's replacement.

getsmarty

Immortal
Dragons CEO to stand down after challenging time at the helm
Dragons Den
r0_2_719_406_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

Stepping down: St George Illawarra CEO Brian Johnston will resign at the end of March.

Brian Johnston's second tenure as St George Illawarra chief executive will be short-lived, with the club announcing he will stand down at the end of March.

Johnston replaced long-time chief Peter Doust in August, and he has been forced to guide the club through a tricky period in his 15 months in charge.

From a disastrous on-field performance this season to the Jack de Belin sexual assault allegations off-the-field, it has not been a positive year for the Dragons.

Johnston will remain in charge until the de Belin court proceedings conclude, with the NSW forward set to face trial in early February.

One of Johnston's last acts as CEO has been the implementation of an end-of-season review by Phil Gould, which led to eight staff changes in the team's football department.

In announcing his departure, Johnston acknowledged the past year has been difficult and said he's looking forward to finishing his tenure on a positive note.

"The past 12 months as CEO of St George Illawarra has been a challenging yet enjoyable experience," Johnston said.

"I have made this decision to focus on my family and the farm back home in Dunedoo.

"I look forward to the next four months overseeing an exciting pre-season following the completion of the club's extremely important football department review."

Johnston shifted from the role of chairman to CEO after WIN bought into the joint venture. That saw Andrew Gordon become chairman.

Gordon praised Johnston for his management of the club during what has been an eventful period.

"Brian has overseen and played a vital role in what has been a vast period of change for the St George Illawarra club," Gordon said.

"Brian has faced significant challenges both on and off the field in his time back in charge of the Dragons, and all the while navigated a new ownership model and a long-term predecessor in a competent manner.

"While his second tenure as chief executive officer was brief, Brian's successor will be better placed because of his contribution to the club; he will always be a part of the Dragons family."

https://www.illawarramercury.com.au...n-after-challenging-time-at-the-helm/?cs=3713

getsmarty

Immortal
Brian Johnston hailed for his support to the Illawarra
Dragons Den
r0_0_2818_1582_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

Standing down: Brian Johnston (left).
Retiring St George Illawarra chief executive Brian Johnston has been hailed as a dedicated club man after he announced his resignation on Tuesday afternoon.

Johnston confirmed he will stand down from the role at the end of March, with the CEO to guide the Dragons through the coming off-season and Jack de Belin's rape trial in February.

Johnston served as chairman of the club before moving into the CEO position last August and former Dragons board member Peter Newell said he was dedicated to ensuring St George Illawarra achieved success both on and off the field.

"He's a thoroughly decent man," Newell said. "I couldn't speak more highly of him. Through my time with him, when he was the first CEO when we did the joint venture, he stepped aside, but then he came back.

"There's not much more I can say, he's a thoroughly decent bloke, well grounded in the game, he played it at the top level. Administratively he's intelligent and an asset to the place."

The inaugural CEO of the joint venture before Peter Doust stepped into the role in 2000, Johnston also served as chairman during a tricky period for the Illawarra half of the joint venture.

The financial struggles came to an end last August, when WIN Corporation bought out the Steelers. That saw Doust stand down as CEO, Johnston shift from chairman to CEO and Andrew Gordon step in as the new chair.

Newell credited Johnston for helping the joint venture thrive despite the Steelers struggles and said he played a key role in ensuring the Illawarra remained well-represented at the club.

"In my view he certainly was supportive of the Illawarra. He was a faithful and ethical person in regards to the dual obligations of the joint venture.

"I've never forgot his support. During this period the Steelers had a lot of financial assistance from St George, we held our end up in other areas, but we received some financial assistance.

"The joint venture has gone on for more than 20 years now and Brian's certainly played his part in seeing its ideals be upheld."

While the prospect of a new CEO brings uncertainty, Newell expects the Gordons to ensure the Illawarra is not neglected in the future.

"I don't think the Illawarra should be worried. There's a strong Illawarra influence remaining at the Dragons via WIN Corporation and Mr Bruce Gordon.

"They'll do an excellent job in seeing the respective ends of the joint venture upheld. I've got no doubts about that."

https://www.illawarramercury.com.au...led-for-his-support-to-the-illawarra/?cs=3713

nontime111

Juniors
Now the pieces of the puzzle are starting to fall into place.

Craig Young to ceo, purposely sacks McGregor mid season so the his son Dean, can take over, with Flano guiding him for 1.5 seasons.

Flank then returns to sharks while Dean Young learns to fly solo.

If McGregor lasted 5-6 seasons, surely Young will get at least the same time again.

Look no further, people.
The world is still flat.
yes I'm SO looking forward to maybe 10 years of DEAN YOUNG as coach and just like Mary, aiming for the heights of success by always having us about 11th position on the ladder for the decade....