What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours and Stuff

Signing players you need and releasing the ones you don't is something every club does, including the good ones. The Roosters are supposedly happy for one of their best players to leave with a year to run on his contract, now they know they won't be keeping him.
Yes but that doesn't necessarily mean going over the cap before you let players go. As we learned you can't earn competition points until the total of your contracts is under the cap, even if you manage to get under the cap by the end of the year. Which is all that really matters. So I wonder if we'd do it again so soon. I've no doubt plenty of clubs are doing it though.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
I highly doubt we sign Matterson under those circumstances
We needed an NRL quality edge forward. That's a key position. One middle forward out of five or six in the top 17 is far less important.

Anyway the cap could be what's holding back the extensions to Drown and Mahoney. If so we need to let go some non-essential merkin who would be desirable for other clubs. No club with money to spend is going to want Alvaro or Terepo. Nrown is a good player but not essential given the rest of our team.

Last edited:

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Yes but that doesn't necessarily mean going over the cap before you let players go. As we learned you can't earn competition points until the total of your contracts is under the cap, even if you manage to get under the cap by the end of the year. Which is all that really matters. So I wonder if we'd do it again so soon. I've no doubt plenty of clubs are doing it though.
What I mean is that giving the upgrades required to get Drown and Mahoney to extend at a reasonable price could be what would push us over the cap. Letting go of Nrown might prevent that.

This is all hypothetical of course.

Happy MEel

First Grade
It doesn't need to be a swap. The Tigers got the benefit of cap space. Now if anyone needs to release players the Tigers are in a great position to sign them. That includes players we let go.
I agree with this but it’s kind of irrelevant to the point I was making. The Tigers’ Chairman came out and said they received no benefit, which contradicts those nice Tigers chaps on the Forums who think they’re getting Nrown in return.

chiefy1

Juniors
We needed an NRL quality edge forward. That's a key position. One middle forward out of five or six in the top 17 is far less important.

Anyway the cap could be what's holding back the extensions to Drown and Mahoney. If so we need to let go some non-essential merkin who would be desirable for other clubs. No club with money to spend is going to want Alvaro or Terepo. Nrown is a good player but not essential given the rest of our team.

e bay ??

84 Baby

Referee

Na it still seems unlikely

Obviously we could still wish to get rid of Brown without actually being over the cap. The signing of Matterson might have changed our priorities and pushed us closer to the cap than we'd like though.