What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Brian Johnston quits

Mickthedragon

Juniors
Yep, and why the silence in the announcement of the wholesale changes elsewhere a week ago? This departure does not appear to be part of the master plan to prop up McGregor with eight new underlings.

This appears to be the decision of a guy who knows what has to happen, and is aware that nothing will change with McGregor as the star around which the rest of the club orbits. I wouldn't be too surprised if we learn in the future that he was recommending a new coach, but got gazumped by the board/McGregor and the bs 'Gould review' commissioned by McGregor.
In my opinion, it's the Gordon family that are behind all this. Just an assumption but it makes sense because they would want Mary in charge cause he's cheaper than most other coaches and they don't want to pay him out. BJ probably did want Mary out and has now quit after their BS review. The club is going backwards at a rate of knots.

Yeah, being a good bloke when administering the club is a fine attribute.

Straight Shooter

That’s right.

Some people here have confused the finer points of his personality with his managerial ability.

There’s no constructive reason as to why he should hang about for the end of the review.

As he’s on his way out, those who report to him can only take his post review advice and recommendations with a grain of salt as he won’t be around to enforce or act upon any of the recommendations long term.

No one will be particularly interested in listening to him if he’s out the door next week.

I think he should be paid out and released immediately.

Even if he wasn’t into Fester, he failed to effectively impart that belief onto the decision makers and have them adopt it.

BJ is the only senior administrator at the club with an ounce of integrity.

If he was responsible for extending the McGregor contract he made a serious mistake.

Whether he was responsible for the error or was directed to extend the contract by the board we will never know.

what we do know is that he handed in his resignation as any clubman should in such circumstances.

unlike the current board and our super coach, he is listening and leaves in March 2020.

opens the door for Gould who I feel is passed his prime.

Craig Young doesn’t have the skill set to sit on the Board. Hope he is next to go.

blacksafake

First Grade
A lot of people here have whinged that he never replied to emails. Well, he replied to me and more or less said that he doesn't reply to most because they contain profanity and didn't meet basic standards for electronic communication.

His email also sounded like a guy with a hand-tied behind his back and his resignation tends to support this notion.
Well, I'm one of the so called "whingers" & I can guarantee that none of my emails contained any abuse,profanity,sarcasm,etc. Just simple questions such as the reason for extending the contract of the coach, were we in the market for new signings( i didn't ask for names), the management of tired/injured players, why is a professional footy side so lacking in the basic skills etc.
At least Doust replied.

As you say maybe his hands were tied but to ignore your supporters is unprofessional & smacking of arrogance, which appears to be how the club is run these days.

Bench
I thought 2019 was the low point in our clubs history. I think the way it’s going 2020 is going to be a whole lot worse, we now have assistants to the assistants but McIdiot is still there.
The damage that McIdiot and the Board is going to take years to re Hildebrand the club.
I have been a supporter for over 50 years and I will always be a supporter till I die.
I live in hope that our club can regain its culture and be a force once again

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
In my opinion, it's the Gordon family that are behind all this. Just an assumption but it makes sense because they would want Mary in charge cause he's cheaper than most other coaches and they don't want to pay him out. BJ probably did want Mary out and has now quit after their BS review. The club is going backwards at a rate of knots.

First the Gordon’s are responsible for BJ, now they’re responsible for getting rid of him?

Which is it?

And if Mary was cheaper than other coaches wouldn’t he be cheaper to pay out?

Frank Facer

First Grade
I think BJ was being undermined, by Craig Young and wasn't able to do his job properly and that is why he is stepping down, but that is only speculation.

Old Timer

Coach
Due to having several decent applicants BJ was seen as the only way to parry them based on the fact he was ex player and had done the job before, so for the want of it he was the insurance policy for the BOD.
Most likely seeing that BJ got it last time, didn't stay long, bad smell about the place and nepotism at large within our club this time there may be far less candidates with impeccable quality making it far easier to get "their man" up.

merahputih

Juniors
The rejection of Total Sports and Entertainment's bid for 50% ownership of the Dragons in 2018 has come back to bite our club on the bum. Instead of a respected sporting organisation like T.S.E. running the organisation we had a possible sweetheart deal to parachute Johnston into the CEO's chair as a condition of WIN getting the deal- with a lower bid. It's also possible that McGregor's unbelievable survival as coach is also down to the Gordon's influence. Add on the possibility of Craig Young sliding into the CEO's chair.....you couldn't make this stuff up!

Wittenberg

Juniors
Yep, and why the silence in the announcement of the wholesale changes elsewhere a week ago? This departure does not appear to be part of the master plan to prop up McGregor with eight new underlings.

This appears to be the decision of a guy who knows what has to happen, and is aware that nothing will change with McGregor as the star around which the rest of the club orbits. I wouldn't be too surprised if we learn in the future that he was recommending a new coach, but got gazumped by the board/McGregor and the bs 'Gould review' commissioned by McGregor.
I think you have probably nailed it.

Wittenberg

Juniors
BJ is the only senior administrator at the club with an ounce of integrity.

If he was responsible for extending the McGregor contract he made a serious mistake.

Whether he was responsible for the error or was directed to extend the contract by the board we will never know.

what we do know is that he handed in his resignation as any clubman should in such circumstances.

unlike the current board and our super coach, he is listening and leaves in March 2020.

opens the door for Gould who I feel is passed his prime.

Craig Young doesn’t have the skill set to sit on the Board. Hope he is next to go.
I have been very critical of Johnston for poor leadership, and, at times, no leadership at all, but I have to tip my hat to him in standing down. It is a tough call to make anytime and there is no doubt he loves the club but the appointment of the next CEO is the most important decision the Club has had to make in over a decade. If anyone currently associated with the Club, especially anyone who played for the Saints or Illawarra gets the job, all the pain we have gone through will mean nothing. To create a new culture we need to break away from the old boys club. If Gould ends up anywhere near Kogarah after his “review”, I think I will vomit.

Latest posts