What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Brian Johnston quits

Mickthedragon

Juniors
First the Gordon’s are responsible for BJ, now they’re responsible for getting rid of him?

Which is it?

And if Mary was cheaper than other coaches wouldn’t he be cheaper to pay out?
What is your point?
The Gordon family most probably did bring in BJ but he's now leaving after not agreeing with the Mary love fest and safety net.
Seems he is a protected species at the club.
Mary will need to be paid out 1.2 M if sacked, as if they want to pay that out.
They are trying to avoid it at all costs.
Are you the only one allowed to have an opinion on here?

TruSaint

Referee
What is your point?
The Gordon family most probably did bring in BJ but he's now leaving after not agreeing with the Mary love fest and safety net.
Seems he is a protected species at the club.
Mary will need to be paid out 1.2 M if sacked, as if they want to pay that out.
They are trying to avoid it at all costs.
Are you the only one allowed to have an opinion on here?

Mick, are you sure BJ was against the renewal of McGregor's contract ?

Every article pre and post the review has him quoted as saying the club wanted "stability" and thus Mary's job was safe.

Im not so sure he was against it. Maybe privately, but we wont know that.

Old Kogarah Boy 1

First Grade
I have been very critical of Johnston for poor leadership, and, at times, no leadership at all, but I have to tip my hat to him in standing down. It is a tough call to make anytime and there is no doubt he loves the club but the appointment of the next CEO is the most important decision the Club has had to make in over a decade. If anyone currently associated with the Club, especially anyone who played for the Saints or Illawarra gets the job, all the pain we have gone through will mean nothing. To create a new culture we need to break away from the old boys club. If Gould ends up anywhere near Kogarah after his “review”, I think I will vomit.

As those who know more than us suggest, it sounds like Craig Young but being the enternal optimist, l sincerely hope the appointment is from, as you say ............. from outside.

Last edited:

Old Kogarah Boy 1

First Grade
John Ribot

As much as l detest him with the Broncos, then Melbourne and of course, Stupa League, l must pay credit to his work ethic in getting the job done.

We could do a lot worse, especially if we appoint from within but there must be better prospects out there.

Last edited:

slippery5

Juniors
LOL,

I already have lost interest in our Club. That would be the final straw. This is the c...t, who is still pushing for Sydney Clubs to be relocated.

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/ex...se-of-sydney-clubs-ribot-20190319-p515kt.html
We relocated 20 yrs ago. And yes, I hate the prick too, but if he can mastermind a team in AFL heartland & turn them into premiers, I think the Dragons would be a pie in the sky for him.
P.S
I don't really want him, but it's going to take someone like him...........

TruSaint

Referee
We relocated 20 yrs ago. And yes, I hate the prick too, but if he can mastermind a team in AFL heartland & turn them into premiers, I think the Dragons would be a pie in the sky for him.
P.S
I don't really want him, but it's going to take someone like him...........

Then lets find someone business-like him. But with a moral compass.

I respect your view, but from a personal angle this prick put the game through shit. Not on his own mind you.

Saint_JimmyG

First Grade
Dragons have finally realised that a ceo must be able to talk.

Putting BJ as ceo was akin to putting a square peg into a round hole.

Hopefully the incoming ceo is a better fit.

I would’ve thought a bloke with a a brace of Masters Degrees can communicate.

Make no mistake, Johnston is the fall guy for Doust’s incompetence.

Saint_JimmyG

First Grade
He is not new to the role , remembering he was the incumbent at Saints when commencing the merging with Illawarra. He oversaw the process and was universally praised for undertaking a difficult task and completing it in a highly efficient manner. It must be remembered that the branding and market image of the new entity retained very strong universal links with St.G. He was seen as being responsible for much of this, having to contend with competing interest from Illawarra who resisted strongly. Ill health forced his retirement then, I trust that is not the case now.

Deep sigh...it’s NOT a merger.

Never was one, never will be one.

I suspect Johnston’s departure has been sparked by the drought situation. Remember, his family has a farm in Dunedoo.

Reactions: jak

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
Someone’s being a little over defensive of Johnston............

Saint_JimmyG

First Grade
Well Johnson 2.0 was an outright dud.

Even if he resigned in protest because he couldn't pursue his own agenda (like any real CEO worth their salt), good riddance to him .

If you oversee the re-signing of Mary (even if he may have objected to the extension), you deserve to go.

No well wishes, no fanfare, nothing.

After their so called world-wide search ,what a waste of 12 months.

Straight Shooter

I bet there was no complaint from you during Johnston’s first CEO stint.

Bench
I believe that politician had the position of CEO wrapped up, I also believe BJ was asked to apply.
On a Saints Facebook page whether he had the CEO job, he didn’t say yes or no

Latest posts