What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours (signings, sackings & other NRL stuff)

Leigh Howlett

Juniors
I'd take Brown back with open arms.. he did nothing wrong and shouldnt have been shafted in the 1st place.

Finally a bit of good news on a signing front, I agree that Brown should never have left us, as he ended up at the Eels and now finds his spot under pressure it's time to welcome him back to Tiger Town!.

Finally a bit of good news on a signing front, I agree that Brown should never have left us, as he ended up at the Eels and now finds his spot under pressure it's time to welcome him back to Tiger Town!.

If JAC is also on the cards I'd go hard for him and Latrell. Get the backs sorted and locked down and then overhaul the forwards in 2021.

Ron's_Mate

Bench
Finals breakthrough and Latrell's signature top Tigers boss' wish list
By Adrian Proszenko
November 13, 2019 — 4.01pm

New Wests Tigers chairman Lee Hagipantelis says there are no excuses for the club not to break its finals drought and he hopes Latrell Mitchell will be part of the team when it happens.

Hagipantelis had already been actively involved in the Tigers as the principal of its major sponsor, Brydens Lawyers, and now the joint-venture outfit can further tap into his legal and commercial acumen after he succeeded Barry O’Farrell as chair.

Hagipantelis believes he has taken up the role at an opportune time, pointing to the club’s financial stability, plans to open a centre of excellence by 2021 and the fact the Tigers have a $1.7 million war chest to spend on players for next season.

“The club is on the verge of achieving some great success over the next few years,” Hagipantelis told the Herald.

“No doubt about it [playing finals] is all that remains now. We have the right premiership-winning coach, we have a great roster we are looking to supplement during the off-season and a very talented and successful board. All the ingredients are there for a successful 2020.

“We think 2020 will represent a top-eight berth, I have no doubt about that. This club has enormous potential, the foundations have been established.

“There are no more excuses, this is the time to deliver.”

The medical retirement of Ben Matulino, coupled with the departures of Ryan Matterson and Esan Marsters, has freed up the salary cap space required for the Tigers to nab a marquee player. At the top of the wish list is Mitchell, who the Roosters would be prepared to release immediately from the final year of his contract.

Hagipantelis has a relationship with Mitchell via his law firm's sponsorship of the NSW Blues and hopes the star centre considers making Concord home.

Latrell Mitchell could miss out on representative opportunities and rich match payments if he leaves the Roosters, NRL great Paul Gallen says.

“He is the sort of player who could make a mark at Wests Tigers and create a legacy,” Hagipantelis said.

“If he put on a black, white and gold jersey, I would be standing on the sideline cheering him on when he crosses the white line for the first time.

“My relationship with Latrell extends through the NSW Blues, he made a commercial for Brydens during the Origin campaign this year. But I won’t leverage off of that relationship to take advantage of the situation. All of my business activities have been proper.

“Latrell will come to the Tigers or any other team he thinks will suit his best interests.

“He is a quality young man for whom I have enormous respect and I know he will make the best decision for himself. If that turns out to be the Wests Tigers, I will be extremely elated. He would be an incredible acquisition for any club.

“Quality players like that are hard to come by, they are an enormous asset to the organisation on and off the field. It’s such an injection of enthusiasm for the club that marquee players of that calibre would consider the Wests Tigers.

“It’s no secret that any club would like to have Latrell in their roster. To what extent discussions have progressed, if at all, I am currently unaware.”

The Tigers are only just emerging from a number of setbacks that have cruelled their performance. Former coach Ivan Cleary was released after expressing a desire to return to Penrith and it has taken time for coach Michael Maguire to begin reshaping the roster to his liking.

“There have been some challenges for the Wests Tigers in previous years, not all of them of their own making,” Hagipantelis said.

“A change of coach for example and other issues. The salary cap issues that have emanated from the previous administration are largely resolved and the Tigers have control of their own destiny, which hasn’t happened for some time.”

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/fi...top-tigers-boss-wishlist-20191113-p53ab9.html

Tigerm

First Grade
Finals breakthrough and Latrell's signature top Tigers boss' wish list
By Adrian Proszenko
November 13, 2019 — 4.01pm

New Wests Tigers chairman Lee Hagipantelis says there are no excuses for the club not to break its finals drought and he hopes Latrell Mitchell will be part of the team when it happens.

Hagipantelis had already been actively involved in the Tigers as the principal of its major sponsor, Brydens Lawyers, and now the joint-venture outfit can further tap into his legal and commercial acumen after he succeeded Barry O’Farrell as chair.

Hagipantelis believes he has taken up the role at an opportune time, pointing to the club’s financial stability, plans to open a centre of excellence by 2021 and the fact the Tigers have a $1.7 million war chest to spend on players for next season.

“The club is on the verge of achieving some great success over the next few years,” Hagipantelis told the Herald.

“No doubt about it [playing finals] is all that remains now. We have the right premiership-winning coach, we have a great roster we are looking to supplement during the off-season and a very talented and successful board. All the ingredients are there for a successful 2020.

“We think 2020 will represent a top-eight berth, I have no doubt about that. This club has enormous potential, the foundations have been established.

“There are no more excuses, this is the time to deliver.”

The medical retirement of Ben Matulino, coupled with the departures of Ryan Matterson and Esan Marsters, has freed up the salary cap space required for the Tigers to nab a marquee player. At the top of the wish list is Mitchell, who the Roosters would be prepared to release immediately from the final year of his contract.

Hagipantelis has a relationship with Mitchell via his law firm's sponsorship of the NSW Blues and hopes the star centre considers making Concord home.

Latrell Mitchell could miss out on representative opportunities and rich match payments if he leaves the Roosters, NRL great Paul Gallen says.

“He is the sort of player who could make a mark at Wests Tigers and create a legacy,” Hagipantelis said.

“If he put on a black, white and gold jersey, I would be standing on the sideline cheering him on when he crosses the white line for the first time.

“My relationship with Latrell extends through the NSW Blues, he made a commercial for Brydens during the Origin campaign this year. But I won’t leverage off of that relationship to take advantage of the situation. All of my business activities have been proper.

“Latrell will come to the Tigers or any other team he thinks will suit his best interests.

“He is a quality young man for whom I have enormous respect and I know he will make the best decision for himself. If that turns out to be the Wests Tigers, I will be extremely elated. He would be an incredible acquisition for any club.

“Quality players like that are hard to come by, they are an enormous asset to the organisation on and off the field. It’s such an injection of enthusiasm for the club that marquee players of that calibre would consider the Wests Tigers.

“It’s no secret that any club would like to have Latrell in their roster. To what extent discussions have progressed, if at all, I am currently unaware.”

The Tigers are only just emerging from a number of setbacks that have cruelled their performance. Former coach Ivan Cleary was released after expressing a desire to return to Penrith and it has taken time for coach Michael Maguire to begin reshaping the roster to his liking.

“There have been some challenges for the Wests Tigers in previous years, not all of them of their own making,” Hagipantelis said.

“A change of coach for example and other issues. The salary cap issues that have emanated from the previous administration are largely resolved and the Tigers have control of their own destiny, which hasn’t happened for some time.”

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/fi...top-tigers-boss-wishlist-20191113-p53ab9.html
“There are no more excuses, this is the time to deliver.” I like it. Lets get it done.

Tigerm

First Grade
From the WT's web site

Wests Tigers are pleased to announce that Brydens Lawyers Principal Lee Hagipantelis has been appointed as the new Chair of the Wests Tigers Board.

A long-time supporter and Major Sponsor of the club with Brydens Lawyers, Hagipantelis will take up the role effective immediately with current Chair and former New South Wales Premier Barry O’Farrell stepping down to pursue another role outside of rugby league.

Hagipantelis first began his career with Brydens Lawyers in 1988 before becoming a partner of the firm shortly after in 1994. His standing within the legal community saw him assume the role of Principal of Brydens Lawyers in 2012 which he remains in today.

In addition to his excellent legal record with Brydens Lawyers, Hagipantelis also was appointed an Arbitrator in the District Court of New South Wales and has represented the legal profession on the Injuries Advisory Committee of the Law Society for several years.

A long-standing supporter of Wests Tigers, Hagipantelis and Brydens Lawyers assumed the role of Major Sponsor in 2016 — signed through until the end of the 2021 season.

Hagipantelis said he was delighted to take up the role of Wests Tigers Chair.

“I’m extremely honoured to have the opportunity to feature as the Chair of Wests Tigers,” Hagipantelis said. “I am both overwhelmed and humbled by the opportunity to contribute to the club in this way and am extremely excited to step into this role.

“As the Principal of Brydens Lawyers, I’ve had the chance to contribute to Wests Tigers first as a partner and then as Major Sponsor, but this is certainly an exciting next step to take.

“Our wonderful Members and fans can be assured that I will cherish this opportunity and continue to give Wests Tigers my absolute best to ensure this great club achieves the sustained success that it richly deserves.”

Be assured that I will cherish this opportunity and continue to give Wests Tigers my absolute best.
Lee Hagipantelis, Wests Tigers Chair

The Board of Wests Tigers welcomed Hagipantelis to the new role as Chair and expressed its gratitude to O’Farrell for his service as Chair throughout 2019.

“The Board of Wests Tigers would like to officially congratulate and welcome Lee Hagipantelis to the club as Chair. Lee has an unquestioned passion for Wests Tigers and his experience and leadership will be an invaluable asset to the club moving forward.

“The Board of Wests Tigers would also like to thank Barry O’Farrell for his professionalism and service to the club as Chair throughout the course of this season. Barry has always displayed strong leadership and guidance in his time with the club and we have no doubt that he is moving on with the club in a stronger position than when he began.

“The Board of Wests Tigers are now excited to move forward in to a new chapter in this club’s rich history and continue to succeed on and off the field under the strong leadership of Lee, Justin and Michael.”

Re ^ - I thought when Barry O came on board that we wouldn't get anywhere as he was another politician. Say what he's suppose to say, hide behind political speak, etc etc (just like the politician in waiting Todd Greenberg). In the boss of Brydens,

I'd say the Tigers are better off, more business experience than Barry O and hopefully more contacts. B

Time will tell.

Harry68

Juniors
Morning all,

Long term watcher first time poster.

Is it possible to try and get one on the Roosters for a change?

Should we look at signing, just player’s names here for example, Zane Tetevano, Nathan Brown, and Zac Lomax signed for next year and then Latrell Mitchell sign from 2021.

In signing him for that year, I think the Roosters in that scenario would be thinking let’s get rid of him now. We would say, sorry guys but we’ve already signed these other guys and only a few hundred thousand dollars left under our cap. Latrell would say, even without prompting, I don’t want to play for 3 clubs in 3 years. This then perhaps sees the Roosters say to us, ok we’ll pay all but 300k for Latrell for 2020 if you guys take him off our hands now.

We get Latrell a year early for say that 300k, making over overall contract come down substantially over the period we had signed him for from that initial 2021 contract and the Roosters get him off their books. The Roosters could play hardball and say to him, go play reggies but their fans aren’t used to high paying underperforming stars sitting in reserve grade or not at all, like we’ve seen in our team, o could be interesting.

Signing him from 2021 let’s us use Packer’s and McQueens money on him, and using this “war chest”, to get us the players we need to at least make the finals again.

Sorry about the long first post and also if someone has already raised these thoughts

Tigerm

First Grade
Morning all,

Long term watcher first time poster.

Is it possible to try and get one on the Roosters for a change?

Should we look at signing, just player’s names here for example, Zane Tetevano, Nathan Brown, and Zac Lomax signed for next year and then Latrell Mitchell sign from 2021.

In signing him for that year, I think the Roosters in that scenario would be thinking let’s get rid of him now. We would say, sorry guys but we’ve already signed these other guys and only a few hundred thousand dollars left under our cap. Latrell would say, even without prompting, I don’t want to play for 3 clubs in 3 years. This then perhaps sees the Roosters say to us, ok we’ll pay all but 300k for Latrell for 2020 if you guys take him off our hands now.

We get Latrell a year early for say that 300k, making over overall contract come down substantially over the period we had signed him for from that initial 2021 contract and the Roosters get him off their books. The Roosters could play hardball and say to him, go play reggies but their fans aren’t used to high paying underperforming stars sitting in reserve grade or not at all, like we’ve seen in our team, o could be interesting.

Signing him from 2021 let’s us use Packer’s and McQueens money on him, and using this “war chest”, to get us the players we need to at least make the finals again.

Sorry about the long first post and also if someone has already raised these thoughts
Welcome Harry,
It all sounds good, except we may end up missing LM altogether (IMO) we have been looking at long term plans for years, with no reward. LM is an X factor player we sorely need, I believe if we can get into the 8 in 2020 with LM on board, then 2021 we will have plenty of cash to pick up who we need & importantly, will want to come.
To me, that's basically Easts business plan, which has worked extremely well for them.

macnaz

Staff member
I think if we waited another side would grab him... namely the dogs who are looking for cap allowances from the nrl after losing Foran for a year.

Tiger05

First Grade
Welcome Harry,
It all sounds good, except we may end up missing LM altogether (IMO) we have been looking at long term plans for years, with no reward. LM is an X factor player we sorely need, I believe if we can get into the 8 in 2020 with LM on board, then 2021 we will have plenty of cash to pick up who we need & importantly, will want to come.
To me, that's basically Easts business plan, which has worked extremely well for them.

I have no idea if we can get Latrell. He is an inconsistent player as well. I really hope we get him though. There are certain players who can turn a team around and he is one of them. I much prefer Latrell to for instance Nathan Cleary on similar dollars.

WA Tiger

Bench
”... he made a commercial for Brydens during the Origin campaign this year. But I won’t leverage off of that relationship to take advantage of the situation. All of my business activities have been proper.
“To what extent discussions have progressed, if at all, I am currently unaware.”
. 1: On this one occasion I hope the new guy is a Dirty Dawg and a Liar...2:That’s a lot of talking from a new guy about a player he wants but hasn’t got yet ..3:If I was him and I knew it was already a done deal my words would be all of the above...just me reading between the lines again

Last edited:

Harry68

Juniors
I think if we waited another side would grab him... namely the dogs who are looking for cap allowances from the nrl after losing Foran for a year.

If Foran is only out for the year, he has stated he’ll be back but not confirmed I guess, they will only get the salary cap relief for next season. If they sign Mitchell, they would have to release him for 2021 maybe. However, maybe they would move on other players to keep him.

If the media are to be believed, yeah right, Canterbury pulled out due to concerns about the player. I have concerns myself but anyway.

Allegedly, NQ are our biggest competitor but can only sign Mitchell or Holmes. Is there a real downside with perhaps ending up with Holmes instead if they sign Mitchell?

WA Tiger

Bench
If Foran is only out for the year, he has stated he’ll be back but not confirmed I guess, they will only get the salary cap relief for next season. If they sign Mitchell, they would have to release him for 2021 maybe. However, maybe they would move on other players to keep him.

If the media are to be believed, yeah right, Canterbury pulled out due to concerns about the player. I have concerns myself but anyway.

Allegedly, NQ are our biggest competitor but can only sign Mitchell or Holmes. Is there a real downside with perhaps ending up with Holmes instead if they sign Mitchell?
I read Bulldogs can get $350k relief immediately??? ...anyway their fullback spot is sewn up...They don’t want Dallin throwing a wobbly..and re NQ Green went to America to talk to Holmes...They arn’t going to risk all that goodwill with Holmes for what could be a flight risk in Latrell..Green’s prob agonising over it but I don’t think he will back track.Holmes is going nowhere in the USA

Last edited:

Hoofhearted

Juniors
https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/s...l/news-story/c81cc09788b2e33ffd09d957b0ed4101

Article mostly about him helping with the fire near Taree, for those who cant open it because of paywalls key quotes are:

• Mitchell’s plan around his playing future is also closer to being finalised with a the three-year back-ended deal with the Tigers
  • It could be finalised within days now that Tigers coach Michael Maguire has returned from coaching New Zealand to take over the top-level negotiations
  • While Mitchell’s contract value is confidential, rival clubs are tipping that Wests Tigers will pay around $800,000 for next year, $900,000 the following season and $1 million in 2022