What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Match Thread: PNG vs GB

kiwileaguefan

Juniors
GB NAME 21-MAN SQUAD AHEAD OF HISTORIC PNG CLASH
73358.jpg

Great Britain Rugby League Lions Head Coach Wayne Bennett has named his provisional 21-man squad for this Saturday’s final game of the Lions tour against Papua New Guinea Kumuls in Port Moresby.

The team have had a hectic schedule since Saturday’s clash with New Zealand in Christchurch, having travelled to Papua New Guinea via Brisbane so Bennett has named a provisional 21 man squad that includes all seventeen players who featured against the Kiwis plus Joe Philbin and Zak Hardaker, who could return after missing Saturday’s game through injury, along with George Williams and Jake Trueman, who are yet to feature in the tour so far.

The Lions will train for the first time in Papua New Guinea on Wednesday before a final team run on Friday at the Oil Search Stadium. The squad will then be reduced to 19 players for the clash. It is the first time that Great Britain have visited the Rugby League-mad nation of Papua New Guinea since 1996, and it will be a historic occasion with England Women facing the PNG Orchids beforehand at the same venue as they look to complete a two game series win.

The 21-man squad in full is:

1. Jonny Lomax (Orrell St James, St Helens)

2. Jermaine McGillvary (Deighton Juniors, Huddersfield Giants)

3. Jack Hughes (Golborne Parkside, Warrington Wolves)

4. Jake Connor (Siddal, Hull FC)

5. Blake Austin (Doonside Roos, Warrington Wolves)

6. Gareth Widdop (Kings Cross, St George Illawarra Dragons)

7. Jackson Hastings (Western Suburbs Red Devils, Salford Red Devils)

8. Chris Hill (New Springs Lions, Warrington Wolves)

9. Josh Hodgson (East Hull, Canberra Raiders)

10. Tom Burgess (Dewsbury Moor, South Sydney Rabbitohs)

11. John Bateman (Bradford Dudley Hill, Canberra Raiders)

12. Elliott Whitehead (West Bowling, Canberra Raiders)

13. James Graham (c) (Thatto Heath, St George Illawarra Dragons)

14. Josh Jones (Blackbrook, Salford Red Devils)

15. Luke Thompson (Bold Miners, St Helens)

16. Daryl Clark (Fryston Warriors, Warrington Wolves)

17. Alex Walmsley (Dewsbury Celtic, St Helens)

18. Joe Philbin (Culcheth Eagles, Warrington Wolves)

19. George Williams (Wigan St Patricks, Wigan Warriors)

20. Jake Trueman (West Bowling, Castleford Tigers)

21. Zak Hardaker (Featherstone Lions, Wigan Warriors)

Burns

First Grade
Thanks for making Thread!

I think PNG could pull off an upset here. This GB Team is in a real funk.

Walter sobchak

First Grade

Burns

First Grade
Are PNG RL fans known for purchasing tickets online or paying for them in advance?

I’d have thought that the majority fans turn up on game day and pay at the gate.
They had sold out their World Cup games in advance.

I don’t think we’ll get a sell out. Maybe 9,000?

yakstorm

First Grade
10,730 seats exactly still to be sold... that said, in the World Cup, PNG sold the vast majority of their tickets 3-4 days before kick off... There were no big sell outs well in advance, so won't be stressing yet provided we start seeing tickets move in the next day or two.

Perth Red

Post Whore
In a way I hope they lose just so we can get rid of Wayne and shake the squad up. Is it available to view in Australia?

kiwileaguefan

Juniors
I'm not too concerned with still 9,900 tickets left for sale three days out, but I am surprised as when was the last time PNG hosted a tier-one nation for a full test? I thought this would have sold out rather quickly...

PNG Squad for this weekend:

Dan Russell has been moved to second row to make way for David Mead for this Saturday’s International clash against the Great Britain Rugby League Lions at the Oil Search National Football Stadium in Port Moresby.

Stargroth Amean will start at wing. Moses Meninga has been named on an extended bench. Rhyse Martin retains the captaincy.

The 20 man squad is:

1. Alex JOHNSTON

2. Edene GEBBIE

3. David MEAD

4. Justin OLAM

5. Stargroth AMEAN

6. Kyle LAYBUTT

7. Watson BOAS

8. Wellington ALBERT

9. Wartovo PUARA Jnr

10. Luke PAGE

11. Nixon PUTT

12. Daniel RUSSELL

13. Rhyse MARTIN – Captain

Interchange

14. Edwin IPAPE

15. Garry LO

16. Stanton ALBERT

17. Moses MENINGA

18. Stanford TALITA

19. Enock MAKI

20. Terry WAPI

adamkungl

Immortal
GBL obviously should win here.
But with how listless they have been on this tour, with so many players out of position.. if there was ever a time for a major upset, this is it.

Go PNG. Hammer that nail

Anyone got broadcast details on this?

Latest posts