What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Brian Johnston quits

Saint_JimmyG

First Grade
Mick, are you sure BJ was against the renewal of McGregor's contract ?

Every article pre and post the review has him quoted as saying the club wanted "stability" and thus Mary's job was safe.

Im not so sure he was against it. Maybe privately, but we wont know that.

What you’ve outlined isn’t anything different to what players have said on public record regarding McGregor. It’s called toeing the complany line (usually in a feeble attempt to demonstrate solidarity). Remember, even McInnes has been quoted saying that “(McGregor) is the best coach I’ve ever had”.

Should Dragons fans also show the amount of vitriol against him as they do with Johnston?

nontime111

Juniors
BJ is the only senior administrator at the club with an ounce of integrity.

If he was responsible for extending the McGregor contract he made a serious mistake.

Whether he was responsible for the error or was directed to extend the contract by the board we will never know.

what we do know is that he handed in his resignation as any clubman should in such circumstances.

unlike the current board and our super coach, he is listening and leaves in March 2020.

opens the door for Gould who I feel is passed his prime.

Craig Young doesn’t have the skill set to sit on the Board. Hope he is next to go.
we have become the SOUTH SYDNEY of the late 90s!
and C. Young if it is true, if he is so power hungry for whatever reason as its still an IF and I like the guy just wish hed let others run things and stand down, but if he does blood sabotage his way to the top, then he WILL be our GEORGE PIGGINS, rusted on passionate club men but with total dellusion about the modern game, and ZERO clue how to run a successful football club at all still living in the 80s, and of he does get in;...hell be there as long as PIGGINS! 10th will be a huge success for all time then....sad but true

Last edited:

Coffs dragon

Bench
I seriously cannot believe they would consider Craig Young for our next CEO.
Sure he was a great player & great captain for Saints, but he has no experience in this field of sports Administration and is too old to commence learning on the job.

If they want someone from the old boys club, then better with some fresh youth with degree qualifications in Business/Commerce....i.e Ben Creagh or Jason Nightingale (for example)
Personally I still feel Mark Coyne would be a great CEO, but he departed the game after the indiscretion!

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
Oh please, enlighten us where you think my thoughts are skewed.

I’m sure the vast majority are awash with breathless anticipation.
You are entitled to your overly positive opinion of him, as are the others who don’t believe he did a good job..

My comment is in regards to the quantity of negative posts about him that you’re responding to...

It seems a little odd..

possm

Coach
Hornby and Johnston gone, now for Mary, Craig Young, Dean Young, Millward and Doust. Hopefully the swamp is being drained as we speak.

TruSaint

Referee
What you’ve outlined isn’t anything different to what players have said on public record regarding McGregor. It’s called toeing the complany line (usually in a feeble attempt to demonstrate solidarity). Remember, even McInnes has been quoted saying that “(McGregor) is the best coach I’ve ever had”.

Should Dragons fans also show the amount of vitriol against him as they do with Johnston?

I asked Mick a question as to whether he was sure BJ was against the Mary deal. No more no less.

Trying to ascertain if in fact Brians resistance to the head coach's extension was one of the underlying reasons of him stepping down.

Last edited:
With Mary still engaged, I think the best the club can do next year is set up for 2021 and beyond.

I’d be looking to poach the ceo of one of the top 5 clubs, someone who is up to speed with running all aspects of a sound club and knows exactly what they are doing.

It’s a bit too big of a deal to leave to a good-hearted but inexperienced old boy.

Tough times call for tough decisions. No room for mates or politics.

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
Left field... Would anyone entertain Corey Payne?

Fits the old boy criteria, briefly had the gig at Penrith, so has *some* experience..

Smart guy, has non footy business experience too..

He did fall out with Gould though.. Not sure if that is a good thing or a bad thing..

Slippery Morris

First Grade
I have spoken to BJ and he is one of the nicest blokes you will ever meet and loves the club. The only thing I can think of is he has someone ready to take his place and hence why he resigned. I am hoping that is Gould or anyone else other than Craig Young or a Mary relative.

Bj leaves the club in a much worse position than when he found it this time around. It’s regressed on almost every level.

Festers only solution so far has to been to flog the players silly in 40 degree heat. They need a clip over the ear, but not torture or a premature death.

It will take the club years to recover from bjs “leadership”

He probably used to work for Kodak or blockbuster back on the day.

It takes a lot of effort and talent to drag down a club so far, even with festers “watch and act” assistance.

Last edited:

Saint_JimmyG

First Grade
Bj leaves the club in a much worse position than when he found it this time around. It’s regressed on almost every level.

Festers only solution so far has to been to flog the players silly in 40 degree heat. They need a clip over the ear, but not torture or a premature death.

It will take the club years to recover from bjs “leadership”

He probably used to work for Kodak or blockbuster back on the day.

It takes a lot of effort and talent to drag down a club so far, even with festers “watch and act” assistance.

If you read Johnston’s business acumen and experience, you might want to revise your second last paragraph.

https://au.linkedin.com/in/brian-johnston-83258536

Saint_JimmyG

First Grade
I have spoken to BJ and he is one of the nicest blokes you will ever meet and loves the club. The only thing I can think of is he has someone ready to take his place and hence why he resigned. I am hoping that is Gould or anyone else other than Craig Young or a Mary relative.

As suggested elsewhere, I feel the NSW drought has been the catalyst for Johnston’s retirement. He is also 61, so an early workplace exit isn’t too much a surprise. I agree, though, than a replacement (most likely with some sort of Illawarra connection) has already been agreed upon behind closed doors.

If you read Johnston’s business acumen and experience, you might want to revise your second last paragraph.

https://au.linkedin.com/in/brian-johnston-83258536

Well to mangle the club, send it plummeting to second last and devaluing the price of the jersey by 70% clearly illustrates that he learnt absolutely nothing from his heady days on the corporate teat.

He worked in insurance. Wait until you see how many legitimate bushfire claims these corporate thieves will fight.

SIR LANCELOT

Juniors
Could be Craig Young as he is a Director on the St George Leagues Club Board. A replacement for the top job usually comes from that side of the Joint Venture.:weary::weary::weary:

Latest posts