What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

OT: Current Affairs and Politics

Gronk

Staff member
The Telecrap are banging on about the Greens too. Is there any evidence that the Greens wielded any political power to sway the RFS on hazard reduction ?

Bazal

Post Whore
Shit golf swing. He takes the club way too far inside on the backswing. Common mistake that a lot of amateurs make.

He looks like a sixth grade park cricketer hacking the ball out to cow corner for a streaky, sedately run one

hindy111

Post Whore
The Telecrap are banging on about the Greens too. Is there any evidence that the Greens wielded any political power to sway the RFS on hazard reduction ?

First they need to work out when was right time to do burn offs. Was it rejected or was the weather at the time not suitable?
Or is everyone just speculating?

strider

Post Whore
Is the expectation that we just burn the f**k out of everything near houses once every 5 years? ... not sure its really feasible and im sure people will whinge like f**k if everything near their houses was a charred mess

Gary Gutful

Post Whore

Plenty of evidence in QLD that green groups (as opposed to the greens) rallied hard to oppose veg clearing in any form. They were successful as well.

hindy111

Post Whore
Obviously the Greens themselves don't give a f**k about bushfire preparation. There aren't any bushfires where they live.

Sometimes I feel like people follow these subjects based on little information and popularity. Same as politics, climate change , political correctness.
What I notice strangely enough is people with all these different ways of living and ideas on how things should be all seem to live exactly the same f**king way. And its doesn't matter what areas. The last 12mths I have lived in so many location across Sydney.
Not a lot changes , every merkin goes to a cafe on a Saturday morning no matter where you go.

chiefy1

Juniors
Obviously the Greens themselves don't give a f**k about bushfire preparation. There aren't any bushfires where they live.

Smoke butts account for half of all fire ignitions. But the government will never ban smoking. It's all about the dollar over property loss/deaths. All will be compensated with tax dollars

Happy MEel

First Grade
Smoke butts account for half of all fire ignitions. But the government will never ban smoking. It's all about the dollar over property loss/deaths. All will be compensated with tax dollars
I actually reckon they will get banned eventually. Big tobacco are already moving into e-cigs as their next money maker because the demand for regular cigs has decreased. I can see the gov finally pulling the plug at some stage and restricting them altogether.

Bandwagon

Staff member
I actually reckon they will get banned eventually. Big tobacco are already moving into e-cigs as their next money maker because the demand for regular cigs has decreased. I can see the gov finally pulling the plug at some stage and restricting them altogether.

The government is addicted to the revenue just as much as smokers are addicted to nicotine, the neat thing about combating smoker rates with higher prices is that the only real way to jack up the price is through jacking up the tax / duties. so consumption drops, but revenue increases.
http://www.treasury.gov.au/sites/de...2185_tp_tobacco_forecasting_working_paper.pdf

Links to pdf, chart on page two, shows a tad over 6 billion dollars in 07/08 with fairly consistent increases through to 17/18 where it tops out just shy of 12 billion dollars.

Latest posts