What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Zac Lomax

Forbes Creek Dragons

First Grade
Tristan Sailor will bulk up. It's in his genes!

He also has a very good kicking game comprising of short kicks and high bombs with accuracy.
A good coach will make Tristan a rep. He has a good footy I.Q.for a young player.
I’d be keeping Tristan for sure, probably play him in the centre’s for now occasionally fullback if injury strikes. I see him taking over as out 5/8 when Norman finishes up in 2 years. Sullivan 7.

boardlumps62

Juniors
I've said it before you need to look at players DNA or does the mother have a big arse is the father tall muscled up can run fast. Tristan's dad is who and looks like what. Don't know his mum apologies just want to give you guys insight. Will Tristan have a growth spurt is he a potential centre don't think so fullback don't think so. Get what I mean.

Wittenberg

Juniors
The Tristan case is a strange one. I can't make up my mind whether he is potentially very, very good, or, he has potential and is a decent player or his name gives him more reputation than he deserves. Too small for centre, too slow for fullback ? Not sure.

Forbes Creek Dragons

First Grade
I've said it before you need to look at players DNA or does the mother have a big arse is the father tall muscled up can run fast. Tristan's dad is who and looks like what. Don't know his mum apologies just want to give you guys insight. Will Tristan have a growth spurt is he a potential centre don't think so fullback don't think so. Get what I mean.
He's a 6 no doubts about it, but he has proven he can fill in, in various positions and will be well worth using to get him some FG experience while he awaits the 6 jersey. I have no problem with centres not being tall, strength is not an issue for him at all, nor is lateral movement.

Gareth67

First Grade
For how long ....Roosters may come calling again.

My thoughts also getsmarty. Thought as much once I heard that Freddy the Fiddler had a high opinion of him .

In which case you can be sure that they will be keeping a close eye on the situation and imo come in with a late bid ( as they usually do ) to sign him from 2021 onwards - imo .

Overseas dragon

Juniors
The Tristan case is a strange one. I can't make up my mind whether he is potentially very, very good, or, he has potential and is a decent player or his name gives him more reputation than he deserves. Too small for centre, too slow for fullback ? Not sure.
Too slow are you kidding........

blacksafake

First Grade
My thoughts also getsmarty. Thought as much once I heard that Freddy the Fiddler had a high opinion of him .

In which case you can be sure that they will be keeping a close eye on the situation and imo come in with a late bid ( as they usually do ) to sign him from 2021 onwards - imo .
Plus they’ll need a goal kicker.

Forbes Creek Dragons

First Grade
He's a 6 no doubts about it, but he has proven he can fill in, in various positions and will be well worth using to get him some FG experience while he awaits the 6 jersey. I have no problem with centres not being tall, strength is not an issue for him at all, nor is lateral movement.
Those attributes are quantifiable but the one attribute he has that does not grow on trees is vision. Thurston not Joey were Olympic sprinters, Johns was a good tackler but no Cameron McInnes. I reckon Sailor is worth keeping because he has vision and can use it under pressure, an extremely rare commodity.

Frank Facer

First Grade
Tristan is a quality player, but his lack of size is a disadvantage. He has great attacking instincts. I think 5/8 is the only position he can have a long term first grade career.

nontime111

Juniors
him and Sullivan in the halves , I cant wait to see that after a decade of utter oversafe halves mediocrity and lack of even trying or taking any risks at all!

giboz71

First Grade
Sailor and Dufty are the same size but Tristan plays bigger. He runs with more intent and his upper body and core strength seem better than Dufty's, hence he has less chance of being dominated in tackles.

Size is only a part of the story. Ryan Papenhuyzen looks to be the Storm's long term fullback now and he's effectively the same size as Dufty and Sailor. I highly doubt the Storm would look to him as their fullback if they had concerns about his size. Slater was a similar size when he debuted and went ok?

Difference being, Papenhuyzen has the benefit of being in the Storm system and knows how to mitigate his lack of size. He rarely got dominated in tackles.

Tristan and Matt don't have the benefit of that coaching.

denis preston

First Grade
Hi all
I am cheering on Zac as much as anyone on the forum.

I have seen a young player with ability but not at the standard and hype ie Brad Fittler’s gifted one comment. Zac hit the scene late 2018. I felt his best contribution was that our defence stiffened up markedly and his goal kicking was outstanding. Very impressed with the cool headed penalty under pressure in the Souths semi.

As an attacking centre I haven’t seen him bust tackles and stride into the clear. I have seen him run onto a Hunt pass late in the Broncos semi and put through a nice kick for flying Dufty tryAiken do this and even go on to long breaks even trys thereafter. ( not saying Aiken should remain) Close to the oppositions try line Zac uses a nice jink step and gone close one on one a few times and has almost been able to get a one backhanded pass to an unmarked winger for a try like Lattrell Mitchell does. Zac’s highlight reels looks good in lower grades. He has height and reach also.

It may be that Zac is cheesed off by not starting being centre 2019 after his good form in late 2018. I believe he is a centre and don’t think he is a fullback because he lacks genuine dash. He generally played soundly when out of position this year but nothing remarkable. It may be that he will fill out and grow a little more which would be an advantage.

2020 whatever team he plays for ( hope it’s us at centre) will answer the question as to what he is capable of.

Great post .Lomax needs to settle at 3 or 4 and be given at least half a seasons pass to show us what he has.I hope he develops of course and believe he deserves this opportunity ( particularly as Aitkin & Lafai are in the way ) but also i believe we need to temper the hype created by some on here and in the media.His lack of pace has been noted by the club with sprint training whilst he was injured. He will have a big body so it's anyone's guess where he will end up positionally wise and how good a NRL player he will become but throwing the cheque book at him now seem premature.Our player development has been atrocious but some responsible for this have escaped the noose but others havent .They should all have gone.

SAP58

Juniors
Sailor and Dufty are the same size but Tristan plays bigger. He runs with more intent and his upper body and core strength seem better than Dufty's, hence he has less chance of being dominated in tackles.

Size is only a part of the story. Ryan Papenhuyzen looks to be the Storm's long term fullback now and he's effectively the same size as Dufty and Sailor. I highly doubt the Storm would look to him as their fullback if they had concerns about his size. Slater was a similar size when he debuted and went ok?

Difference being, Papenhuyzen has the benefit of being in the Storm system and knows how to mitigate his lack of size. He rarely got dominated in tackles.

Tristan and Matt don't have the benefit of that coaching.
A great post, i agree with all the comments !

Forbes Creek Dragons

First Grade
Is Zac back at pre season? I haven’t seen him on any of the posts on the Dragons site or even his Instagram he doesn’t appear to be in the Gong.

SAP58

Juniors
Dont panic everyone I understand Fester has managed to get a meeting with his idol Donald Trump while in the USA to share their knowledge on rugby league and set our game plans for 2020.....

Latest posts