What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Signings for 2020 and future looking team

dsc_0091.jpg

DRAGONS

'More like a drill camp': New training staff turn up heat on Dragons
Author
Brad Walter NRL.com Senior Reporter
Timestamp
Wed 13 Nov 2019, 06:44 PM
walterbrad-head.png

St George Illawarra players were exhausted after completing a beep test and 1.2km run in scorching temperatures on their second day of pre-season training but new trainer Adrian Jimenez ensured there was no respite.

"We get penalised for someone putting their hands on their hips," prop Josh Kerr said. "This is my fourth pre-season and it is very different from the last three, it’s a lot harder."

The Dragons announced eight changes to their coaching and performance staff after an end-of-season review, including the appointment of Jimenez as strength and conditioning coach.

He was at Parramatta last season and previously spent 11 seasons at Melbourne Storm, while he has also worked with Penrith and the Kiwis.

Although he is renowned for his brutal training sessions, players don’t complain because Jimenez’s track record suggests he gets results.

dsc_0181.jpg

The Dragons have been pushed hard since their return. :copyright:dragons.com.au
"It is a whole different look and whole different discipline," Kerr said. "It’s tough and you hate it but in the long run you know it is going to be the best thing for you.

"He is tough but he has been in very successful systems and they [Dragons management] have obviously seen that and wanted to bring him, and you can tell why."

Kerr was too fatigued to know the identity of the teammate who was guilty of putting his hands on his hips but he said it was a test of each player's mental strength not to repeat the offence.

Five key match-ups of the Dragons' 2020 draw

"I was looking at the ground and I was legit dizzy so I was just in the robot zone so as soon you hear penalty I was just like ‘let’s get it done’," he said.

"We had to do a commando roll, where you get three people, one stays in the middle and you have to roll. I wouldn’t say it was military-like but it feels that way. They’re going to make it more like a drill camp, which is good because we are setting very high standards for ourselves."

Kerr is already fitter than in previous pre-seasons and recorded a personal best in the beep test but by the end of the session he was looking for an ice bath.

Back-rower Jackson Ford was among those to impress in the 1.2km run but some players were clearly struggling.

dsc_0086.jpg

Dragons forward Josh Kerr. :copyright:dragons.com.au
"It is a shock to the system, you train for the off-season because you want to make sure you are in good nick when you come back but pre-season is designed to break you down physically and mentally," Kerr said.

After earning selection for the Indigenous All Stars and making his NRL debut last season, Kerr is aiming to become a regular member of St George Illawarra’s first-grade squad in 2020 and took encouragement from his performance review with coach Paul McGregor.

Sims: The only way is up

"He even said ‘I would love for you to be a starting front-rower, if you keep progressing the way that you are and improving and doing all of the little things right you will get there," Kerr said.

"A lot of times I sat in front of the TV as a kid watching NRL and to be on TV and playing was a dream come true. A big thing for me and my family was to hear Ray Warren say my name, that was crazy.

"I was very grateful I was playing. I’d love to play every single game during the season."

https://www.dragons.com.au/news/201...p-new-training-staff-turn-up-heat-on-dragons/

Quote Sims “The only way is up”.
Actually we finished 15th so last for us next year will be down.

Forbes Creek Dragons

First Grade
Quote Sims “The only way is up”.
Actually we finished 15th so last for us next year will be down.
I believe we will significantly improve next year. I’m actually really liking the look of the new staff. I did some research on them and they all look like they will add something and at the very least will freshen the place up and give it a less stale feel. Flanagan although not my first choice will at least act as a sounding board for any of Marys crazy ideas.

getsmarty

Immortal
I believe we will significantly improve next year. I’m actually really liking the look of the new staff. I did some research on them and they all look like they will add something and at the very least will freshen the place up and give it a less stale feel. Flanagan although not my first choice will at least act as a sounding board for any of Marys crazy ideas.

Agree...EXCEPT...McGregor has not listened to any of his assistants in the past...Why would he start now ?

Dragonslayer

First Grade
An absolute ridiculous signing IMO and has the smell of a desperate Wooden Spoon team with a useless Recruitment & Pathways roadblocker.

As I said in early October, I would be oj with signing Luke if the term and price was right. It appears that its a 1yr deal on very basic money either 90k or 130k depending where he slots in.
Lovodua would be our back up hooker, he has no NRL experience albeit he has played at International level for Fiji. At the very least Luke could provide him with some valuable lessons.
McInnes's injury has some risk of repeat just like Widdop last season and like Widdop it could happen in the early rounds. We would then be forced to use a rookie hooker.

Old Kogarah Boy 1

First Grade
Zebra doesn't change it's stripes....In this case...Hope he doesn't....either way..He is a Dead man walking...Why would the club bring in Shepherd ( Flanno's former assistant ) ?

Sooner McGregor is gone, the better off we will be.

Good point, GS.
I hadn’t joined the dots but that’s good to know.

Coffs dragon

Bench
As I said in early October, I would be oj with signing Luke if the term and price was right. It appears that its a 1yr deal on very basic money either 90k or 130k depending where he slots in.
Lovodua would be our back up hooker, he has no NRL experience albeit he has played at International level for Fiji. At the very least Luke could provide him with some valuable lessons.
McInnes's injury has some risk of repeat just like Widdop last season and like Widdop it could happen in the early rounds. We would then be forced to use a rookie hooker.
I still reckon the Luke signing is an absolute waste of any cash. Surely if Cam McInness has further injury problems, we could utilise the QLD Origin Number 9 and Australian representative Reserve back up hooker.

Dragonslayer

First Grade
I still reckon the Luke signing is an absolute waste of any cash. Surely if Cam McInness has further injury problems, we could utilise the QLD Origin Number 9 and Australian representative Reserve back up hooker.

Ok, then who plays half or 5/8?
Sailor?, who's a rookie at that position
Field?, well he's gone
Clune?, another rookie and unsigned atm
Nicholls?, he's gone also.
Dufty?, another rookie at that position.

The obvious answer is JDB!!! :rolling_eyes:

So really your saying our spine would look something like:
1. Sailor or Dufty (Mmmm no fire there)
6. Norman (waiting for the spark)
7. Sailor or Dufty (Mmmm rookies ok)
9. Hunt (our part time hooker)

Wow!!!

jak

Bench
the reason behind the luke signing maybe McInness, does anybody know how his leg heeled. over to you Sammy.

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
the reason behind the luke signing maybe McInness, does anybody know how his leg heeled.
Like most legs I’d say between the Achilles’ tendon and the sole of the foot.

Coffs dragon

Bench
Ok, then who plays half or 5/8?
Sailor?, who's a rookie at that position
Field?, well he's gone
Clune?, another rookie and unsigned atm
Nicholls?, he's gone also.
Dufty?, another rookie at that position.

The obvious answer is JDB!!! :rolling_eyes:

So really your saying our spine would look something like:
1. Sailor or Dufty (Mmmm no fire there)
6. Norman (waiting for the spark)
7. Sailor or Dufty (Mmmm rookies ok)
9. Hunt (our part time hooker)

Wow!!!
The idiots should have signed Clune into the NRL squad, as he's even a better option than Norman IMO.