What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

A Huge Long Term Development

taipan

Referee
Was that the groom that got caught by the bride, bending the bridesmaid over?
I remember at my wedding (we all laugh about it now of course), I got caught by my bride, whilst being bent over by the bridesmaid.

So once again someone else is getting my share.Bugger!!!

RandyAndy

Juniors
I find it interesting that the board deemed the purchase of a golf club as a good investment, when golf club memberships have sunk to their lowest in 20years with only 383,000 across Australia and I'd go as far to say that roughly maybe 2-3k active members would live in the Shire, with many playing at Barden Ridge due to being a new course or many paying the price for private access at Cronulla GC.

Declining memberships have been happening as the game is too long, high cost memberships & green fees, along with hire equipment costs and clubs cannot service the facilities up to a proper standard.

It is strange as the board know that the football club struggles to turn a profit, yet they seek to purchase another asset that is another money sucker?

that 80 million or what ever windfall from the sale of the units / shopping area might evaporate quicker than we think

carcharias

Immortal
I find it interesting that the board deemed the purchase of a golf club as a good investment, when golf club memberships have sunk to their lowest in 20years with only 383,000 across Australia and I'd go as far to say that roughly maybe 2-3k active members would live in the Shire, with many playing at Barden Ridge due to being a new course or many paying the price for private access at Cronulla GC.

Declining memberships have been happening as the game is too long, high cost memberships & green fees, along with hire equipment costs and clubs cannot service the facilities up to a proper standard.

It is strange as the board know that the football club struggles to turn a profit, yet they seek to purchase another asset that is another money sucker?

that 80 million or what ever windfall from the sale of the units / shopping area might evaporate quicker than we think
Might have something to do with that other humongous development on the course doorstep.

If the Golf Club turns over a profit of $1million a year it’s a good investment.

But keen to hear more clarity on the Sharks plans if this transaction gets approved.

snout

First Grade
A huge Stockland development 40 mins north of Brisbane called North Lakes is built around a golf course. There mustve been at least a dozen stages or so. The suburb has the biggest Bunnings in modern history, a westfield and a Costco. It has one of only 2 IKEAs in Queensland.

Hundreds of thousands of residents live there.
Hundreds of houses were sold on the golf course - or obviously very close. Golfers paid big coin to be able to look out over, walk to or drive their buggy to the course.

The course closed this year after 2 years of protests and debate. The club offered cheap social memberships or half price golfing memberships and it still went belly up.

The land has been drawn up with plans for community areas, childcares, family playgrounds and picnic areas, retirment villages. Plus other things.
Obviously people who answered the original advertisments to live on the golf course and are now looking out over a childrens playground will be kicking and screaming for some time to come but the club is dead. Gone.

We wont make a profit for much longer with a golf course. Golfs a game of the past bar for a minority. Like most things generational change sees a changing mindset.

Its the land.

Latest posts