What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Signings for 2020 and future looking team

Wittenberg

Juniors
Have we lost Timms one of our better backup forwards.
How would we know if he was actually one of our better backup forwards or not, we never got the chance to see him in action. For all the doom and gloom about losing him, does anyone know if any other club has picked him up? If he was as good as his stats suggest surely someone has signed him by now. If not why not?

boardlumps62

Juniors
How would we know if he was actually one of our better backup forwards or not, we never got the chance to see him in action. For all the doom and gloom about losing him, does anyone know if any other club has picked him up? If he was as good as his stats suggest surely someone has signed him by now. If not why not?
Now that's a good point never thought about it from that angle. But

slippery5

Juniors
Signed with Redcliff (Broncos feeder) & doing pre season training with the Broncos.

denis preston

First Grade

You answered your own question = How do we know ? How does any other club know ? How hard was it to play him one or two games when we were gone for the season to see how he did adapt ? No the fwit coach wanted to see what Latimore & kufusi had that he hadn't seen before. That really shit me.

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
You answered your own question = How do we know ? How does any other club know ? How hard was it to play him one or two games when we were gone for the season to see how he did adapt ? No the fwit coach wanted to see what Latimore & kufusi had that he hadn't seen before. That really shit me.
Whilst I admit given our forwards played like chickens stuck in custard we should have given Timm a go, I also wonder if he’s a bit like Michael Lett - an absolute gun reserve grade player but bog average in the top grade..

That being said, I think Timm held himself well during the final of The Bachelorette..

Warabrook saint

Juniors
Had a fallout with mcgregor and the grogan never forgave him

I still reckon the Luke signing is an absolute waste of any cash. Surely if Cam McInness has further injury problems, we could utilise the QLD Origin Number 9 and Australian representative Reserve back up hooker.
Signing Luke is a contentious issue. He was a better than reasonable forward back in the day but is now on a downward spiral. The Warriors had no interest in resigning him. He might offer some value off the bench, but his main attribute now is that he is a good goal kicker. I don't see him taking the club forward in any way regardless if he comes cheap.

possm

Coach
Cam Mcinnes to play in the backrow to accommodate Issac Luke?
Bizarre.
  • Yes McInnes to lock until JDB returns - if he beats the charges.
  • Lomax to fullback in order to keep him at the Dragons.
  • 3 Ravalawa and 4 Ford to replace our current centre pairing.
  • 2 Saab and 5 Perai/Pearson to be our wingers.
  • If our halves are to be 6 Norman and 7 Hunt then Sailor will be our token bench utility.

Crush

Coach
  • If our halves are to be 6 Norman and 7 Hunt then Sailor will be our token bench utility.
Thats an extremely young and inexperienced backline that would take a few years to develop but I'd prefer to lose games developing players than run out there year in year out with Lafai, Aitken....

Dragonslayer

First Grade
So, the first week of pre-season is almost done and we are still no clearer as to any new signings. Lots of rumours, but nothing from the club.
Maybe they're waiting for McGregors return to trumpet them :thinking:
In any case Luke looks the most likely to join us. The Capewell rumours have gone quiet and there isn't any noise from other clubs about him. My guess is that he will sign with us, $$$ maybe the sticking point. But, where does he play and at whose expense, Ford? Personally, I'd play him at centre in place of Aitken.

Assuming this all happens and Sailor recommits then our squad total would be 27 (inc JDB).

possm

Coach
Thats an extremely young and inexperienced backline that would take a few years to develop but I'd prefer to lose games developing players than run out there year in year out with Lafai, Aitken....
Well we don't have much choice. Millward has our cap in a mess and the centre pairing has been useless for the past two years. To tell the truth I don't think we could afford to go back to Aitken and Lafai.

Wittenberg

Juniors
Signing Luke is a contentious issue. He was a better than reasonable forward back in the day but is now on a downward spiral. The Warriors had no interest in resigning him. He might offer some value off the bench, but his main attribute now is that he is a good goal kicker. I don't see him taking the club forward in any way regardless if he comes cheap.
I agree. I have admired Luke in the past but there is a reason that the Warriors let him go. His shoulder has kept him on the sidelines often over the last two years. Can’t see the benefit in signing him.

Bench
I agree. I have admired Luke in the past but there is a reason that the Warriors let him go. His shoulder has kept him on the sidelines often over the last two years. Can’t see the benefit in signing him.
He is not wanted by his club, he is injury prone, he is getting on in years and he will accept minimum contract value
He fits nicely under our recruitment policy

Wittenberg

Juniors
There has to be some changes made Possm I agree but Rava and Ford? It might be worth the gamble but Rava couldn’t hold down his wing spot last year and our temptation to see Ford as a centre seems to have been based on two intercepts he took playing CC. I haven’t seen enough of Ford I have to admit but hopefully he bulks up in the off season.

Dragonslayer

First Grade
Looking at our current squad, prop is becoming a major concern for me.
We currently have:
Graham, who is suffering from age, injuries especially concussions.
Lawrie, who is young and still learning his trade.
Blacker, who isn't nearly ready for 1st grade.
Kerr, who has been around a while, but hasn't been given the opportunity to cement a 1st grade spot.
K. Sims, who is a bit of a loose cannon.
Vaughan, probably our best prop atm.

We may try to manufacture one or 2 in Leilua, Frizell or even Host (it's not Host's go mind you imo)

We also need a lock and a lot will come down to the JDB decision. Who then will play lock?

The way I see it (with JDB rubbed out), is that Vaughan and Lawrie should be starting props, with Kerr and Graham on the bench. K. Sims to lock. If JDB is successful then I think Kerr drops back to CC with K. Sims on the bench with Graham.

The main issue becomes injuries, who are the back-ups from CC, or do we have to manufacture one or 2 or 3?

Como Connection

First Grade
Looking at our current squad, prop is becoming a major concern for me.
We currently have:
Graham, who is suffering from age, injuries especially concussions.
Lawrie, who is young and still learning his trade.
Blacker, who isn't nearly ready for 1st grade.
Kerr, who has been around a while, but hasn't been given the opportunity to cement a 1st grade spot.
K. Sims, who is a bit of a loose cannon.
Vaughan, probably our best prop atm.

We may try to manufacture one or 2 in Leilua, Frizell or even Host (it's not Host's go mind you imo)

We also need a lock and a lot will come down to the JDB decision. Who then will play lock?

The way I see it (with JDB rubbed out), is that Vaughan and Lawrie should be starting props, with Kerr and Graham on the bench. K. Sims to lock. If JDB is successful then I think Kerr drops back to CC with K. Sims on the bench with Graham.

The main issue becomes injuries, who are the back-ups from CC, or do we have to manufacture one or 2 or 3?
Sign that young Timm from the Broncos I say.
CC