What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Our best 17

LeagueNut

First Grade
According to Fox Sports (https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...e/news-story/5f836aeaa28d95ce42b0446d706f0e48)

Roger Tuivasa-Sheck
David Fusitu’a
Gerard Beale
Peta Hiku
Ken Maumalo
Blake Green
Chanel Harris-Tavita
Leeson Ah Mau
Kodi Nikorima
Agnatius Paasi
Tohu Harris
Leivaha Pulu
Lachlan Burr

Wayde Egan
Isaiah Papali’i
Jazz Tevaga
Bunty Afoa

The rest: Sam Lisone, Josh Curran, Jackson Frei, Adam Keighran, Eliesa Katoa, Karl Lawton, Taane Milne, Hayze Perham, Adam Pompey, Adam Blair, Nathaniel Roache

Not sure about Beale over Milne and Nikorima over Roache. I like Adam Blair's position.

Who would you pick?

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
They literally forgot Patrick Herbert. Should signal how accurate they are.

Yep first thing I noticed. Herbert in for Beale, Herbert/Hiku is the one centre pairing I’m happy with. Other than that not too many arguments, the hooker/halves mix could change if Roache is fit for any amount of time though.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
Thoughts on each area:

Back 3: strong as always, though Fus needs to find some mojo.
Centres: decent though not amazing, I rate Hiku and Herbert but Beale is only really a capable deputy. I’d consider switching Hiku back to right side to feed Fus more though, I think we get more out of our wingers in total when our best attacking centre is on his side, as we know Ken will chew through a mountain of metres regardless.
Halves: a bit weak. Green is slow down and seems to phone it in a bit these days. CHT is good but still very young. Is Kodi a half or a hooker?
Hooker: 3 decent options though Roache is made of glass. Starts to look pretty thin if Kodi is required in the halves, we know we don’t want Jazz there unless it’s a exclusively as a funny half runner.
Props: 3 solid workers but we’re short one proper big, dominant prop.
Back row: fairly good IF Tohu is fit and firing. Same problem as the front row if he isn’t,
Bench: a bit shit TBH. Jazz is a great interchange asset if he’s not used primarily as a hooker, and Bunty is capable of injecting some energy, but there’s not a lot of threat there.
Depth: let’s face it, we don’t have a lot.more than one injury in any area and we’re exposed.

I can see this team being mid table competitive if fit and firing but no better. If the wheels fall off we’ll be down the bottom. Another early mad Monday I reckon :/

VillaTheGorilla

Juniors
Roger Tuivasa-Sheck
David Fusitu’a
Herbert
Peta Hiku
Ken Maumalo
Blake Green
Kodi Nikorima
Leeson Ah Mau
Nathaniel Roache
Agnatius Paasi
Tohu Harris
Leivaha Pulu/Blair/papali
Lachlan Burr

Wayde Egan
Jazz Tevaga
Bunty Afoa
prop

Reactions: JJ

JJ

Immortal
Roger Tuivasa-Sheck
David Fusitu’a
Herbert
Peta Hiku
Ken Maumalo
Blake Green
Kodi Nikorima
Leeson Ah Mau
Nathaniel Roache
Agnatius Paasi
Tohu Harris
Leivaha Pulu/Blair/papali
Lachlan Burr

Wayde Egan
Jazz Tevaga
Bunty Afoa
prop
Except #7 which should be up for grabs next I’d lean to CHT and if Roache isn’t right Egan starting and Nikorima on the bench

VillaTheGorilla

Juniors
Except #7 which should be up for grabs next I’d lean to CHT and if Roache isn’t right Egan starting and Nikorima on the bench
I haven't seen much of Niko at hooker but hear he does a pretty good job.

My thing is, if our team is doing what it needs to - forwards going forward and not getting beaten up the middle, with decent dummy half ball, and Green directing play and majority of the kicks, I think Niko will shine.
He only needs to do a couple of things well in a match, chose the right time to run, scamper from dummy half, put it through the hands or straighten our attack and we're gunna score a few tries.

I know it's a big if, but if everyone else is doing their job he's gunna be top shelf.

Reactions: JJ

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
I know it's a big if, but if everyone else is doing their job he's gunna be top shelf.

I kinda think that’s our problem. We’ve got a capable side if everyone is doing their job but we don’t have enough outstanding players to cover for weaknesses when they’re not. SJ used to do it occasionally (when he felt like it) and RTS keeps us in the game when we have no right to be sometimes, but thats about it.

Last edited:

JJ

Immortal
I
My thing is, if our team is doing what it needs to - forwards going forward and not getting beaten up the middle, with decent dummy half ball, and Green directing play and majority of the kicks, I think Niko will shine.
and there it is - does anyone seriously think that that pack and Kearney's potato brain will lead to your result? Sadly our pack is pretty ordinary tbh...

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
and there it is - does anyone seriously think that that pack and Kearney's potato brain will lead to your result? Sadly our pack is pretty ordinary tbh...

we’re about one decent prop short of a rotation, for about the 10th straight season.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
Ugh it's going to be a long year.

Even longer for RTS trying to prop up that lot.

Forwards - meh
Backs - meh
Coach - lol

The only part of our team that isn't meh is the back three, unless by some miracle Roache can stay fit all year, which might give us a decent hooker rotation.

KeepingTheFaith

Referee
The only part of our team that isn't meh is the back three, unless by some miracle Roache can stay fit all year, which might give us a decent hooker rotation.

Individually they're not meh, collectively I don't like it

RTS is fine obviously, but the lack of genuine pace on the edge will continue to haunt us next season.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
Individually they're not meh, collectively I don't like it

RTS is fine obviously, but the lack of genuine pace on the edge will continue to haunt us next season.

i think the biggest issue with them is utilising Fus properly. I’d prefer Hiku on his side for that reason, he’s unquestionably our best centre at setting up wingers. We know we’ll get good value out of Ken either way and at least he won’t be stuck outside Kata.