What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Brian Johnston quits

Old Kogarah Boy 1

First Grade
lol I must be alone being actually sad to see him go.

He's had a tough run of shitty issues to deal with since he's been at the club this time around.
Actually he had to deal with a tough run of shit last time round.

This crap would have tested any poor prick stepping into the role. He didn't cause it, but it sure as shit put him in the crapper.

Good luck to him. He is one of the best blokes this club ever had both playing for it & administering it.

It'll be a tough gig finding someone capable to step into this poisonous cesspit.

Now spew at me as you see fit.

Hear what your saying mate but would it be fair to say, he was the wrong fit for the job.

A ceo first and foremost, needs to speak to the people. If a club’s circumstances turn south, he or she will need to address the fans even more regularly.

Sadly, BJ never uttered a word, especially when we fans needed it the most.
Again, square peg in round holes situation. No one ever thought ill of him as a person, just his skill set for the job.

They need to Be thick skinned & hard nosed; able to think on their feet and a sort of person who can make things happen, not to mention..... can soothe a sore situation.

BJ was, is a nice guy and valued ex player. He was no ceo.

Last edited:

Old Timer

Coach
Unfortunately too many people with the wrong perspective as to what the CEO’s job actually is
He is not there for the members he is there at the behest of the BOD and to carry out the agreed vision of the BOD
If there becomes a conflict of interest then there is the inevitable parting of the ways all covered by confidentiality agreements.
The notion that BJ didn’t do the right thing by the members is absurd as he was never charged with or allowed to do that
In fact by resigning he may very well be doing something for the fans after all

JohnnoMcJohnno

Juniors
Unfortunately too many people with the wrong perspective as to what the CEO’s job actually is
He is not there for the members he is there at the behest of the BOD and to carry out the agreed vision of the BOD
If there becomes a conflict of interest then there is the inevitable parting of the ways all covered by confidentiality agreements.
The notion that BJ didn’t do the right thing by the members is absurd as he was never charged with or allowed to do that

Noted, and I agree the CEO's role is to implement the vision of the Board, assuming in this case there is a vision. However someone needs to be the front man to talk to the members and articulate the vision going forward. Who better in the Dragons set up than the CEO? Mary, Millward, Craig Young, Bruce Gordon, no communicators in that lot.

If they want to build the brand, grow the supporter base and attract sponsors, surely someone has to be up front with the communications. Otherwise it is just a long slow decline into oblivion.

Old Kogarah Boy 1

First Grade
Noted, and I agree the CEO's role is to implement the vision of the Board, assuming in this case there is a vision. However someone needs to be the front man to talk to the members and articulate the vision going forward. Who better in the Dragons set up than the CEO? Mary, Millward, Craig Young, Bruce Gordon, no communicators in that lot.

If they want to build the brand, grow the supporter base and attract sponsors, surely someone has to be up front with the communications. Otherwise it is just a long slow decline into oblivion.

Well said, mate.
Someone does need to be front and centre. A ceo’s Job is multi-tasking and answerable to various sections of people.
The board, the nrl, the fans, the coaching staff, the players, the player agents etc.

A tough position but suitable for fast thinkers and interactive people.

Technically you're right OT however the issue with BJ was not that he didn't represent or support the members and fans, It was his personal support and diatribe surrounding the McGregor extension that did him no favors.
He not only endorsed it but went to great lengths to sell the McGregor the "career coach" and the decision to the stakeholders.
If there was really a conflict of interest or a disagreement at Board level with the CEO then surely the perpetuation of McGregor as head coach, was the one decision that Johnston would have had issue with.
That should've, would've resulted in him resigning at that point in time.
In the context of his general lack of communication to the fan base, he had more to say about McGregor's extension than any other issue in 2019 including DeBelin, second last finish, pseudo review, wholesale changes of staff and so on.
I think it just got too much for him and he probably has better things to do with his time than be the front man for St. George in the state that it's in..

Old Timer

Coach

If the board do not wish to convey anything to the members then the CEO has his hands completely tied.
No doubt our BOD want to keep everything hush hush and convey nothing other than all the fluff media pieces we see on the website.
They don't convey their ideas as they full well know not many will like it.
BJ is in no way responsible for the mess that we are as a club.
The stench comes from the board and complete lack of accountability or desire to interact with the fans.
Their way or the highway and no doubt BJ will have a quick ride home to the farm.

JohnnoMcJohnno

Juniors
If the board do not wish to convey anything to the members then the CEO has his hands completely tied.
No doubt our BOD want to keep everything hush hush and convey nothing other than all the fluff media pieces we see on the website.
They don't convey their ideas as they full well know not many will like it.
BJ is in no way responsible for the mess that we are as a club.
The stench comes from the board and complete lack of accountability or desire to interact with the fans.
Their way or the highway and no doubt BJ will have a quick ride home to the farm.

Long slow decline into oblivion it is then. Although just how that benefits the BOD remains a mystery.

Dragon Revival

Juniors
On the JV Board Johnston would be the least of the problems. He is a very astute operator however the rest are a bunch of dimwits. He would be the best judge of a good footballer.
The CEO needs business and football acumen
like Johnston and unlike Doust. Few people have both of these skills.

Why would they have An ageing Craig Young as CEO makes no sense.He has no management skills and PR skill set is non existent

Bj had all of the qualifications, management, mbas and every corporate and pr skill ever known and he still managed to throw the club into the dumpster.

if he disagreed with the board”s decisions, he should have manned up and quit ages ago.

Both him and the club would have been better off.

the cult of corporate leadership is a myth.

Albert is still young enough to have a go. He’d spear Mary promptly, that would be a fair legacy.

denis preston

First Grade
Puff piece on WIN tonight. Johnston basically parroting the media release.The f**ken zit faced reporter didn't ask any hard questions like why was the f**kwit reappointed.

BLM01

First Grade
Thanks for passing on that info. I was already suspecting that what you said may have been the case. It looks/sounds like BJ was being undermined the whole time he took over, I am suspecting by Craig Young. Craig Young may still think he is the captain and behaved in that manor.

Correct me if I am wrong, but every other assistant or lower grade coach, besides Dean Young has been moved on since Dean Young was made part of our coaching staff. What a co incidence, Dean must be a really good coach to have survived, while all the others got sacked. Now here is an interesting consideration. Craig Young doesn't want us to sign a good coach, because for one he will want to bring his own coaching staff with him and two, Dean Young's chances of taking over from a good coach would be less than taking over from Mary. I think some others may have already suggested things along the same lines.

If Craig Young takes over from BJ, I can see only doom and gloom for us.
The survivors in recent years are Dean Young, Mary, Ben Haran, Basil & more recntly Pickworth.
maybe Mat Head?...not sure if they or he wants to hang around yet.
No mention of him in their review.....typical Dragons secret media

Heavy D

Juniors
If you were Johnston, and angry supporters kept emailing you 'Sack Mary' or variations of the same, and you agreed with every one of them, but the board wouldn't let you, what could you possibly say? If you were Doust, you would probably present a dribbling response pretending everything is OK, but what if you were Johnston? Then Mary gets his bud Gould to look after him in a review, and mass changes happen other than one of the most necessary, giving Mary another undeserved chance to bury the club further, how would that make you feel?

But the members are a stakeholder.

Johnson had zero, and I mean zero, leadership skills.

Straight Shooter

Saint_JimmyG

First Grade

Straight Shooter

A bloke with decades of experience in various business fields MUST have leadership skills. Remember also, Johnston was also club captain at one point before injury curtailed his playing career.

possm

Coach
On the JV Board Johnston would be the least of the problems. He is a very astute operator however the rest are a bunch of dimwits. He would be the best judge of a good footballer.
The CEO needs business and football acumen
like Johnston and unlike Doust. Few people have both of these skills.
  • Johnston was Chairman of the SGI Board who accepted the WIN offer which was approx. 5m less then the highest bidder.
  • Johnston was also the CEO who allowed the NRL to run the table when it comes to the JDB affair.
  • Johnston publicly recommended the extension of Mary's contract so early in the season giving the main reason as Mary was the best man to keep moral high amongst the playing squad.

A bloke with decades of experience in various business fields MUST have leadership skills. Remember also, Johnston was also club captain at one point before injury curtailed his playing career.

Please identify his leadership skills in the last 12 months.

For a CEO, if they are not self evident, they don't exist. But please correct me.

Straight Shooter

Old Kogarah Boy 1

First Grade

Straight Shooter

Agreed,

You can have all the documentation stating how qualified you are but at the end of the day, it’s your nous and hands on ability that makes things happen.

You either have it ..... or not.

A move for fat Albert would be like going back into the dark ages.

We need someone with today’s business sense, however, if the board won’t allow the said person to ‘do their job’ ..... any appointment will be a waste.

It will take a combination of a move liberal board and an outside influenced ceo to get us back in front again.

Anything less, the doghouse looms.

Heavy D

Juniors
I don't believe he backed Mary any more than he literally had to. I'm sure he took the job under the best of intentions, but if your hands are tied, see if you can bring people around to your view for a while if you truly care, but you can only do so much under this board.

Latest posts