What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Josh Kerr

getsmarty

Immortal
Promising forward Josh Kerr determined to build on solid rookie season
Dragons Den
r0_243_4764_2932_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

Emerging talent: Josh Kerr. Picture: Sylvia Liber.

Twenty-nineteen has been a year of mixed emotions for Josh Kerr.

He had the opportunity to play alongside his heroes in the Indigenous All-Stars match in February, he made his NRL debut for the Dragons in March and saw his form in both the NRL and Canterbury Cup improve considerably.

But the St George Illawarra Dragons were awful.

That makes it tough for Kerr to look back fondly on the season, with his individual achievements slightly overshadowed by the team's disappointing performance.

"There's two different sides to it," Kerr said. "For myself, I couldn't believe it. It was a dream come true. I sat in front of the TV as a kid watching NRL, so to be able to be on TV playing and for my family to hear Ray Warren say my name, that was a big thing for me and my family.

"On the field, as a team, it wasn't the greatest year. It would've been awesome to come into the side and debut for a side that was coming first, but we just needed to make changes at the end of the year and I was very lucky to be given an opportunity.

"Towards the back end when I was playing more I was getting more confident. That's when I started to come out of my shell in first grade a bit more. Last season was a very good foot forward to where I want to be."

After making his NRL debut in round two, Kerr played a further six first grade games throughout the season, including four of the last seven.

Read more: 'There's a cultural issue at the top of Group Seven': Longbottom

While he was happy to bide his time throughout 2019, the 23-year-old is determined to win a place in the 17 for the Dragons round one clash with the Tigers.

Once he achieves that goal, Kerr's aim is to ensure he stays in the team for the duration of the season.

"At the end of the season I sat down with Mary and we spoke about what we wanted as a goal, one of mine was I would love to play round one.

"Playing NRL is a privilege, with the squad we've got, it's still going to be very tough to get that spot, but I'd love to play round one and try to play every single game throughout the season.

"Mary even said, 'I'd love for you to be a starting front rower. If you keep progressing the way you are and improving and doing the little things right, you'll get there.'

"I was doing very well in NSW Cup and I want to play more first grade and get more confidence."

Kerr received a shock to the system when the pre-season kicked off this week, with the squad put through a gruelling fitness session on Tuesday.

Overseeing the workout were Nathan Pickworth and Adrian Jimenez, a man who spent 11 years ensuring the Melbourne Storm were among the fittest teams in the competition.

Kerr was in the Storm system prior to his move to Wollongong and while his time at the club did not overlap with Jimenez, the horror stories he heard from his teammates have him prepared for a very long summer.

"Luckily I came to the Storm the year after he was there and I heard some stories about it. I'll tell you right now, they're all true already.

"He is tough, but he's been in systems that are very successful systems and they (the Dragons) have obviously seen that and wanted to bring him in and you can tell why.

"It's hard, very hard, but you know it's the best thing for you. It's the old saying, the harder your pre-season, the better your season is."

https://www.illawarramercury.com.au...ined-to-build-on-solid-rookie-season/?cs=3713

denis preston

First Grade
What I can’t come to grips with is how Timm who had such great stats , better than Kerr couldn’t even get a go off the bench. With 6 weeks to go (optimistic I know) it was plainly obvious we weren’t making the 8 , so why not give say Graham a week off and see what Timm was made of? We will never know and if he makes the grade with Melbourne, and I hope he does , it is one who was never given the opportunity.
This is one of the many many reasons that we are jack of Mary. I have spoken to other teams supporters and they show surprise why Mary has his critics but when you rattle off the whole sad story from winning percentage from May on every year of his tenure, interchange use, injured players played, development players ignored ( in fact his whole selection policies & favoritism ) , game plans ( or lack of even with a very good pack ) ) excuses, low level aspirations ( making the 8 and doing a lap of honor ), and these other supporters just respond with Shit, didn't know it was that bad and why hasn't he been sacked ?

Wittenberg

Juniors
Hope he does well but it certainly is a make or break year for him. I find him too cumbersome and slow off the ground, as a result of that he can become a defensive weakness.

BLM01

First Grade
Good on Josh Kerr I hope he rips and tears this year and becomes the prop like lawrie who have real potential
But interview after interview and video is about all our media department can come up with so far.
He must be our new Dragons go to guy and media darl.

Forster Dragon

Juniors
This guy could end up rocks or diamonds.Hopefully with Flanagan coming on board he will receive some good tuition and have a chance to reach nis potential.All he needs is for McIdiot to keep out of the way.

BLM01

First Grade
'It means the world to me': Family and culture inspires Kerr
St George Illawarra Dragons forward Josh Kerr says he is determined to earn another call up to the Indigenous all-stars, and also shows off some new ink.

https://www.dragons.com.au/news/201...world-to-me-family-and-culture-inspires-kerr/
Ahh our illustrious media. Rehash and repeat the same article of 2 weeks ago. We have nothing else to talk about at our club now the McGregor interview is done and dusted.

Kylez3

Juniors
Hope he does well but it certainly is a make or break year for him. I find him too cumbersome and slow off the ground, as a result of that he can become a defensive weakness.
Didn't Kerr record the fastest 30 metre sprint time out of all the forwards? Seen it mentioned in a couple of articles this year.

I have a good feeling about him next year but it undoubtedly is make or break.

Dragonsamy

Bench
Didn't Kerr record the fastest 30 metre sprint time out of all the forwards? Seen it mentioned in a couple of articles this year.

I have a good feeling about him next year but it undoubtedly is make or break.

He is up there Frizz and Ford also quick.
It wouldn't surprise me

Gareth67

First Grade
Congratulations to the young bloke , may his selection also open opportunities for him in the top grade .
However I do agree with nontime 111 , that he needs just that little bit more fire in his belly to make him a more damaging forward .

Last edited: