What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Richo's Vision

Travitoh

First Grade
because half of the nrl’s playing talent comes from NZ and PI.

Half the talent comes from NZ and PI and minimal to no Australian talent in a supposed national competition comes from outside Qld and NSW.
Is it really growing the game to invest in areas that are already producing NRL players?

T-Boon

Coach
I think the game's brains trust believes that much of the intensity of the Origin series would be lost if you ran it over a shorter period. Three games two weeks apart brings it down to seven weeks, which isn't much different to now. You'd really have to play a week apart and I don't think either the sport or TV or probably the RLPA would go for that.

I think now that there is no biff in origin (the inevitability of biff was always a massive draw card), the "intensity" of origin is not the compelling aspect it once was. Intensity now just equates to passion plus forwards running into each other hard and a fast game with not much emphasis on great combinations and team work. Keep the passion but trade the "intensity" for team work, skilful combinations etc which I think would be achieved with the games being played 1 week apart.

T-Boon

Coach
While they're at it f**k half of the pre-season off too. I've never understood why clubs had to start training at the end of October with players busting their arse in the summer heat for 5 months before even playing a game, especially when the NRL and NRL clubs talk about how players can't play too many internationals because of player welfare. I'd much rather be playing for my country than running up hills for 3 hours in 45 degree heat.

Totally agree. No organised team training up until mid December. During the offseason the players should be doing their own private stuff, education programs and club promotional work and training on their own. Similar restrictions to those they have in college football should apply.

Latest posts