What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Parramatta Eels Juniors

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
But you reckon Joe Taipari would go better? Luke Kelly even went better than him in the under 20s. Salmon, now there's a bloke who's likely to become a first grader.

Obscene Assassin

First Grade
But you reckon Joe Taipari would go better? Luke Kelly even went better than him in the under 20s. Salmon, now there's a bloke who's likely to become a first grader.

Injuries put an end to Taipari having a first grade squad spot with us. At the start of last year, pre-injury, he was performing better than Dylan Brown in the 20s.

Obscene Assassin

First Grade
He had a better running game, but being an NRL halfback requires so much more.

In those games he was also passing, kicking, and leading the team better. Dylan is the better defender but Taipari is no slouch in that department. He got injured at an unfortunate time and in that space Dylan overtook him in every aspect.

Unlike tigers fans with their players coming to us, I genuinely hope Taipari plays well for them. Really good person and player. As I said, he's now their best half.

Happy MEel

First Grade
Of course not. He's a foreigner.

But for years it was daylight third after Marshall and Thurston as the two best playmakers in the game.
So he’s not a future immortal?

Anyway, as far as halves go, I think it was Thurston, then daylight, then Cronk, then more daylight and then the rest.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
So he’s not a future immortal?
That's what I said.
Anyway, as far as halves go, I think it was Thurston, then daylight, then Cronk, then more daylight and then the rest.
Cronk was a solid defender with a great long kicking game but he could never carry a team (or at least, never had to) the way Thurston and Marshall consistently did.

Last edited:

Happy MEel

First Grade
That's what I said.

Cronk was a solid defender with a great long kicking game but he could never carry a team (or at least, never had to) the way Thurston and Marshall consistently did.
“Marshall carried teams” have only made the finals 5 times from his 17 season career. There’s no way someone with that record reaches immortal status. Cronk has played in exceptional sides but his influence over whichever team he plays for is equal to Smith’s in my opinion.

Last edited:

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
“Marshall carried teams” have only made the finals 5 times from his 17 season career. There’s no way someone with that record reaches immortal status. Cronk has played in exceptional sides but his influence over whichever team he plays for is equal to Smith’s in my opinion.
After about 2012 Marshall was only ever in shitty sides. Either his salary was so massive by then that they couldn't afford a team or they just ran out of TPAs. But for the four or five years prior to that he was equal to Thurston. But not playing Origin kept him off the radar of the likes of yourself.

His finals record with the Tigers was monstrous.

Happy MEel

First Grade
After about 2012 Marshall was only ever in shitty sides. Either his salary was so massive by then that they couldn't afford a team or they just ran out of TPAs. But for the four or five years prior to that he was equal to Thurston. But not playing Origin kept him off the radar of the likes of yourself.

His finals record with the Tigers was monstrous.
Lol. So he has no excuses before 2013? The Marshall led Tigers made the finals 3 times in the preceding 10 years and only twice in the 4 or 5 years you claim he was equal to Thurston. I think a player’s ability to achieve success across multiple seasons is more indicative than a handful of finals games.

The “likes of yourself” must look at highlights reels rather than judge a player based on the total attributes required to achieve success in that position.
Benji was always a gifted runner of the ball and could throw a pass but was horrible defensively (sandowesque) and had no game management skills whatsoever. He also made a shit load of errors.

Last edited:

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Lol. So he has no excuses before 2013? The Marshall led Tigers made the finals 3 times in the preceding 10 years and only twice in the 4 or 5 years you claim he was equal to Thurston. I think a player’s ability to achieve success across multiple seasons is more indicative than a handful of finals games.

The “likes of yourself” must look at highlights reels rather than judge a player based on the total attributes required to achieve success in that position.
Benji was always a gifted runner of the ball and could throw a pass but was horrible defensively (sandowesque) and had no game management skills whatsoever. He also made a shit load of errors.
Teams win games, not players. It's why ignorant merkins think Tedesco didn't become elite until he joined the Roosters. But if that was the case why did they pay so much for him? He didn't play a single finals match at Wests.

Delboy

First Grade
There's a worrying trend for a so called development club under the new HOF, apart from those young players who have moved on. The Tigers have signed 5, Bulldogs the first choice 7 , we declined or were slow to meet the offer from Canberra for Trey Mooney and he has left. Mark ONeils procedures for contract offers are slow to say the least and other clubs are aware of this and taking advantage.

The concern is that while the club doesn't want to pay more than necessary the committee style of decsisons making is looking like a hindrance. ONeil is a procedure first style of manager, hopefully that will be short circuited sooner rather than later.

Last edited:

Latest posts