What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours (signings, sackings & other NRL stuff)

Tigerm

First Grade
We all spoke about this last season, but maybe Brooks to go to the 9 and Marshal & Reynolds to play 6 & 7.

Brooks has got all the skills to do it, now that his defence has improved.

Just a thought.

Ron's_Mate

Bench
How the Tigers hope to woo Roosters star Latrell Mitchell
By Adrian Proszenko
November 16, 2019 — 7.29pm

To fully understand the key connections that will likely lure Latrell Mitchell to the Wests Tigers, you’ve got to go back about five years.

It’s the SG Ball grand final and a fresh-faced Latrell Mitchell is wearing the Roosters No.1 jersey. Things don’t start off well for the young Roosters side, which quickly found itself down by 20 points to Penrith.

Yet this was the moment that stamped Mitchell as a future star. In one of the most unlikely comeback victories, Mitchell scored the decisive golden-point try in a man-of-the-match performance.

In the team photo taken moments afterwards, Latrell can be seen holding the premiership trophy, while Adam Hartigan is also in the frame as part of the Roosters' junior coaching setup.

The bond Hartigan and Mitchell forged on Leichhardt Oval in those moments endures to this day. Hartigan is no longer at the Roosters after taking up the role of head of football at the Tigers in July. Mitchell is also likely to be departing Bondi Junction after the club pulled its offer of a contract extension, worth $1.6 million over two years, from the table earlier this month.

The Tigers have $1.7 million to spend on talent in 2020 alone and have a shortlist of targets that include Dragons pair Luciano Leilua and Zac Lomax. But at the very top of the list is Mitchell.

So when Tigers chief executive Justin Pascoe and coach Michael Maguire made the 310km journey from Concord Oval to Taree during the week, Hartigan travelled up with them as the trump card.

The trip would have been made a few days earlier but for the fact that Hartigan and Pascoe had only just returned from a US study tour and the bushfires decimating the mid-north coast of NSW made Taree almost inaccessible at the start of the week. The Tigers contingent wanted to personally pitch their vision for the club to Mitchell and his manager in a bid to secure the biggest scalp in the joint-venture outfit’s history.

Mitchell would become the long-term fullback replacement they have been looking for since the departure of James Tedesco, the man blocking 22-year-old’s path to the No.1 jersey at the Roosters.

If Mitchell makes the switch, Hartigan won’t be the only familiar face at the Tigers. While representing the Blues at under-20s level in 2015, he played alongside current Tigers Robert Jennings, Alex Twal, Jacob Liddle and Oliver Clarke. That side gelled well, belting the Maroons 32-4.

Mitchell is also mates with potential Tigers teammates Luke Garner and Paul Momirovski from their days at the Roosters and Wyong. Then there’s the new Tigers chairman, Lee Hagipantelis, who has a relationship with Mitchell through his law firm’s sponsorship of the Blues.

“He is the sort of player who could make a mark at Wests Tigers and create a legacy,” Hagipantelis told the Herald during the week.

“If he put on a black, white and gold jersey, I would be standing on the sideline cheering him on when he crosses the white line for the first time.”

Mitchell, however, is closest to Hartigan. Significantly, Hartigan maintains a good relationship with Roosters supremo Nick Politis, who will have a significant say on if and where Mitchell goes if released from the final year of his contract.

The Tigers and team Mitchell are crunching the numbers in a bid to finalise a deal. Given the club needs a star signing and Mitchell needs a new home, these things often have a way of working themselves out. Mitchell could expect a pay rise if he switches sides. Perhaps the biggest challenge is for Hartigan to convince Mitchell that they can again achieve premiership success together.

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/ho...rs-star-latrell-mitchell-20191116-p53b85.html

Tigerm

First Grade
By Adrian Proszenko

To fully understand the key connections that will likely lure Latrell Mitchell to the Wests Tigers, you’ve got to go back about five years.

It’s the SG Ball grand final and a fresh-faced Latrell Mitchell is wearing the Roosters No.1 jersey. Things don’t start off well for the young Roosters side, which quickly found itself down by 20 points to Penrith.

Yet this was the moment that stamped Mitchell as a future star. In one of the most unlikely comeback victories, Mitchell scored the decisive golden-point try in a man-of-the-match performance.

In the team photo taken moments afterwards, Latrell can be seen holding the premiership trophy, while Adam Hartigan is also in the frame as part of the Roosters' junior coaching setup.

The bond Hartigan and Mitchell forged on Leichhardt Oval in those moments endures to this day. Hartigan is no longer at the Roosters after taking up the role of head of football at the Tigers in July. Mitchell is also likely to be departing Bondi Junction after the club pulled its offer of a contract extension, worth $1.6 million over two years, from the table earlier this month.

The Tigers have $1.7 million to spend on talent in 2020 alone and have a shortlist of targets that include Dragons pair Luciano Leilua and Zac Lomax. But at the very top of the list is Mitchell.

So when Tigers chief executive Justin Pascoe and coach Michael Maguire made the 310km journey from Concord Oval to Taree during the week, Hartigan travelled up with them as the trump card.

The trip would have been made a few days earlier but for the fact that Hartigan and Pascoe had only just returned from a US study tour and the bushfires decimating the mid-north coast of NSW made Taree almost inaccessible at the start of the week. The Tigers contingent wanted to personally pitch their vision for the club to Mitchell and his manager in a bid to secure the biggest scalp in the joint-venture outfit’s history.

Mitchell would become the long-term fullback replacement they have been looking for since the departure of James Tedesco, the man blocking 22-year-old’s path to the No.1 jersey at the Roosters.

If Mitchell makes the switch, Hartigan won’t be the only familiar face at the Tigers. While representing the Blues at under-20s level in 2015, he played alongside current Tigers Robert Jennings, Alex Twal, Jacob Liddle and Oliver Clarke. That side gelled well, belting the Maroons 32-4.

Mitchell is also mates with potential Tigers teammates Luke Garner and Paul Momirovski from their days at the Roosters and Wyong. Then there’s the new Tigers chairman, Lee Hagipantelis, who has a relationship with Mitchell through his law firm’s sponsorship of the Blues.

“He is the sort of player who could make a mark at Wests Tigers and create a legacy,” Hagipantelis told the Herald during the week.

“If he put on a black, white and gold jersey, I would be standing on the sideline cheering him on when he crosses the white line for the first time.”

Mitchell, however, is closest to Hartigan. Significantly, Hartigan maintains a good relationship with Roosters supremo Nick Politis, who will have a significant say on if and where Mitchell goes if released from the final year of his contract.

The Tigers and team Mitchell are crunching the numbers in a bid to finalise a deal. Given the club needs a star signing and Mitchell needs a new home, these things often have a way of working themselves out. Mitchell could expect a pay rise if he switches sides. Perhaps the biggest challenge is for Hartigan to convince Mitchell that they can again achieve premiership success together.

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/ho...rs-star-latrell-mitchell-20191116-p53b85.html
It sounds like whatever happens you cant say they didn't try.

Noise

Coach
By Adrian Proszenko

Lol I’m sure Latrell built a real strong relationship with the sponsor of the NSW Blues.

Vic Mackey

Referee
Lol I’m sure Latrell built a real strong relationship with the sponsor of the NSW Blues.

I think you’d be surprised. Lee is extremely involved in both WTs and NSW. He regularly takes players out in groups and 1on1 for lunches/golf and helps them look into business ventures outside of footy. He also has private suites everywhere to let the players into at races/concerts/events etc. Players love him and realize how beneficial his networking can be.

WT Unity

Juniors
I heard Lee Hagipantelis interviewed on radio (Big Sports Breakfast) this morning and it was the single best interview given by a WT Chairman, Board Member, CEO or any other senior management office holder I have ever heard. He spoke brilliantly! He has passion and spoke in a way that inspires nothing but confidence. He made bold statements which gives the impression that he is not simply satisfied with the WT just making up the numbers. He said things like "making sure we are a destination club" and that the WT would "leap frog other organisations in the NRL". He said that success this year would be a minimum top 8 finish and to build on that from there. No bullsh!t about processes, revenue streams and KPI's and other w@nk management terminology - He was all business but the business clearly is sport...Rugby League and that success for the organisation is measured first and foremost by on field results.

Anyone else hear it...If yes I'd love to hear what others thought?

I heard Lee Hagipantelis interviewed on radio (Big Sports Breakfast) this morning and it was the single best interview given by a WT Chairman, Board Member, CEO or any other senior management office holder I have ever heard. He spoke brilliantly! He has passion and spoke in a way that inspires nothing but confidence. He made bold statements which gives the impression that he is not simply satisfied with the WT just making up the numbers. He said things like "making sure we are a destination club" and that the WT would "leap frog other organisations in the NRL". He said that success this year would be a minimum top 8 finish and to build on that from there. No bullsh!t about processes, revenue streams and KPI's and other w@nk management terminology - He was all business but the business clearly is sport...Rugby League and that success for the organisation is measured first and foremost by on field results.

Anyone else hear it...If yes I'd love to hear what others thought?

He certainly made all the right noises, obviously he is a successful lawyer and businessman as well so he knows what it takes to grow a brand and continue that success.

Whether we go that way will still remain to be seen. The seeds were sown before his arrival, hopefully he can open us up to further avenues.

BrotherJim05

Bench
Apparently we've signed Leileu from Dragons. Don't know much about him tbh but I have faith Madge knows how to get the most out of forwards

axl rose

Bench
I heard Lee Hagipantelis interviewed on radio (Big Sports Breakfast) Anyone else hear it...If yes I'd love to hear what others thought?

https://tinyurl.com/uxlaelm

Old Balmain diehard. I appreciate his positive outlook, which is not easy following this club. Still a few salary cap issues to sort out, then let's see what he can do.

I'm hazy on the third party deals, he would not be allowed to top up a potential contract for Latrell because he's a direct sponsor of the club? how do Easts get away with it, as if their used car salesmen wouldn't have links with everyone in the big end of town.

The unknown

Juniors
Apparently we've signed Leileu from Dragons. Don't know much about him tbh but I have faith Madge knows how to get the most out of forwards

Tad lazy but he's pretty skillful for a big fella. He reminds me a bit of T-rex in his prime (infact I'm pretty sure he's carved us up in a few games over the years)

Still if he's our replacement for Matterson we're in trouble.

Tiger05

First Grade
Tad lazy but he's pretty skillful for a big fella. He reminds me a bit of T-rex in his prime (infact I'm pretty sure he's carved us up in a few games over the years)

Still if he's our replacement for Matterson we're in trouble.

He is a gun on the edge. I think his wide running game is better than Mattersons. We do not another middle forward though.

The unknown

Juniors
He is a gun on the edge. I think his wide running game is better than Mattersons. We do not another middle forward though.

Yeah he's got a good late offload

I still think he's a good signing tbh, but he won't fix the hole Matterson left. If we can still nab either Brown or Arrow (Not quite on the same lvl as Matterson but not far off either) then things will start to look up