What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Match Thread: PNG vs GB

typicalfan

Coach
This result will build the intrigue regarding the world cup although GB/England are much better at home.

Aus/NZ/GB seem like they've taken half a step back. If SBW commits to Samoa the world cup could be almost a genuine 5 team tournament with a couple of others capable of an upset on their day.

roughyedspud

Coach
Right can you all stop trying to say this is some kind of decline of GB/ENG...

it's a pissweak team on a pissweak tour ......

parrawentyfan

Juniors
Massive result. If (and that's a big if) Tonga, Fiji and PNG continue on their trajectory we have a bright future. Fiji has been brewing for years but PNG always seem to underperform against the big guns. Nice to put that to rest finally.

Aust and NZ should be forced to play away games against a full strength Tonga, Samoa, Fiji and PNG or get docked ranking points. The game would be better for it in the long run.

Would be good in the WC if we can have 4 genuine seeds across each pool with the big 3 plus Tonga. Then you have Samoa and PNG not far behind.

If only we can get France to put together their best team once in a while.

taste2taste

Juniors
The GB players don't seem interested in these games. They don't have the passion they would if it were an England jersey. I'm sure having fairdinkum Aussies in their side doesn't help get the players patriot juices flowing.

JohnDoe

Juniors
Massive result. If (and that's a big if) Tonga, Fiji and PNG continue on their trajectory we have a bright future. Fiji has been brewing for years but PNG always seem to underperform against the big guns. Nice to put that to rest finally.

Aust and NZ should be forced to play away games against a full strength Tonga, Samoa, Fiji and PNG or get docked ranking points. The game would be better for it in the long run.

Would be good in the WC if we can have 4 genuine seeds across each pool with the big 3 plus Tonga. Then you have Samoa and PNG not far behind.

If only we can get France to put together their best team once in a while.

NZ are expected to play PNG in PNG next year.

typicalfan

Coach
It feels wrong singling out anyone but Bennett etc have failed to put passion in the jersey.

English/GB sides don't seem to normally mind have Aussies coaching them.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Great day for RL in PNG. Well done.

As for the English team, I’m dumbfounded how bad GB have been this tour. Easily the worse rep side I’ve seen in my 40 years following the game.

MKCS

Juniors
Disgraceful effort. George Williams seemed like the only player on attack who gave a shit. Majority of the PNG team are QLD Cup players mixed in with a handful of ESL/NRL players whilst England/Great Britain are all ESL or NRL players.

Bennett has no clue and needs to be replaced by a proper coach who knows the best in the ESL. He clearly doesn't care and hasn't done his research which is why the team is mainly players who are in because of reputation or NRL guys. What was Widdop doing at fullback? Austin on the wing never should've occurred.

Majority of the team should be dropped. Widdop is past it, Hastings never should've made it, Austin is a solid bench option at best and Graham probably shouldn't be leading the team either instead playing off the bench like Austin.

Seems odd that Hodgson, Bateman and Whitehead are all great for Canberra but not this team. Lack of motivation.

I'd only keep the following players:

9. Hodgson 11. Bateman 12. Whitehead 13. James Graham (Bench) 19. George Williams

The Canberra trio only remain because of their NRL efforts, Graham for a solid experienced bench option and Williams because he cared.

Pommy

Coach
Wow that gap between the northern and southern hemisphere is massive.

I mean it’s been an awful series but NZs record hasn’t been amazing the past few years.

I’m not even sure sacking Bennett is the answer. If he goes his replacement is going to get a mid season test and a kangaroo tour as prep for a World Cup. To me Bennett has to stay as it’s too alter to replace him and his record prior to this was pretty decent.

Wizardman

First Grade
Great day for RL in PNG. Well done.

As for the English team, I’m dumbfounded how bad GB have been this tour. Easily the worse rep side I’ve seen in my 40 years following the game.
GB/Eng has not toured that much over the past 20 years or so. Id argue that squad-wise, Eng/GB have had far worse squads than this ability-wise. Guys are Bateman, Hodgson, Graham and Burgess are elite....Hill, Whitehead, Widdop and Lomax have good ability. Yet, when you put them all together, you end up with this complete shit sandwich of a tour. Im sure they will be much more committed at home next year.
The game needs a strong England.....their effort for some reason was well below any other country who played internationals over the past month.

kiwileaguefan

Juniors
I mean it’s been an awful series but NZs record hasn’t been amazing the past few years.

I’m not even sure sacking Bennett is the answer. If he goes his replacement is going to get a mid season test and a kangaroo tour as prep for a World Cup. To me Bennett has to stay as it’s too alter to replace him and his record prior to this was pretty decent.

It's going to be a massacre in the ashes series next year

BadnMean

Juniors
Disgraceful effort. George Williams seemed like the only player on attack who gave a shit. Majority of the PNG team are QLD Cup players mixed in with a handful of ESL/NRL players whilst England/Great Britain are all ESL or NRL players.

Bennett has no clue and needs to be replaced by a proper coach who knows the best in the ESL. He clearly doesn't care and hasn't done his research which is why the team is mainly players who are in because of reputation or NRL guys. What was Widdop doing at fullback? Austin on the wing never should've occurred.

Majority of the team should be dropped. Widdop is past it, Hastings never should've made it, Austin is a solid bench option at best and Graham probably shouldn't be leading the team either instead playing off the bench like Austin.

Seems odd that Hodgson, Bateman and Whitehead are all great for Canberra but not this team. Lack of motivation.

I'd only keep the following players:

9. Hodgson 11. Bateman 12. Whitehead 13. James Graham (Bench) 19. George Williams

The Canberra trio only remain because of their NRL efforts, Graham for a solid experienced bench option and Williams because he cared.

It's pretty clear the Raiders trio weren't enjoying the footy under Bennett.

Look at the style of play- they are all skilled, enterprising players, they can slip a nice short ball, kick, play off the cuff every one of those three. Under Bennet GB weren't allowed to do any of that until they were 12 points or more down. Before that they were forced to play Waynes bore-ball which he has rolled out for the last 5 years of his career.

The Tongans & PNG were allowed to express themselves a bit & then feed off the passion it generates.

Must have been a slog of a tour, knowing the squad picked was complete pants to start with & then not being able to use the football.

I thought McGilvary was a shining light. He's well worth a wing or FB spot.

Lomax bottled it. Will be bashed out of every game now teams see him shirking.

Mystifying why Hastings kept getting picked when Williams came on & created for chances & had more dash in 15 minutes than Hastings has shown in 3 games.