What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

WCC news

NRL’s Sydney Roosters will take place at The Totally Wicked Stadium on Saturday 22 February (TV kick off 7:45pm local Time). Please see TV Kick-Off Times for UK, Australia, New Zealand and USA below.

TV Coverage: The game will be shown live on Sky Sports in the UK. Coverage for Australia is yet to be confirmed but more than likely Fox Sports will cover the game. Sky Sports in New Zealand will also more than likely cover the clash.

United Kingdom - England Saturday, 22 February 2020, 19:45:00
Australia - New South Wales Sunday, 23 February 2020, 06:45:00
Australia - Queensland Sunday, 23 February 2020, 05:45:00
Australia - Western Australia Sunday, 23 February 2020, 03:45:00
New Zealand - Auckland Sunday, 23 February 2020, 08:45:00
USA - California) Saturday, 22 February 2020, 11:45:00
USA - New York) Saturday, 22 February 2020, 14:45:00
France - Île-de-France) Saturday, 22 February 2020, 20:45:00
It will be Saints’ first World Club Challenge appearance since 2015 - their sixth overall - and the game will be shown live on Sky Sports.

Saints head coach Kristian Woolf said: “We are really excited about the opportunity to face the Roosters in such a prestigious fixture.

“It will be a great challenge for us to test ourselves against the current World Club champions and we are aiming to stand up and represent Super League and this part of the world in what will be a huge game.”

The Roosters beat Wigan Warriors in this game last year, reinforcing their superb record in the fixture.

They have won all four of their appearances, one of which came against St Helens in 2003.

Roosters head coach Trent Robinson said: “This is an important fixture on the rugby league calendar and we’re looking forward to heading to England to compete against St Helens for the 2020 World Club Challenge title.”

Super League executive chairman Robert Elstone added: “Saints dominated our competition in 2019 and we know they will relish the opportunity to test themselves against the best in the NRL.

“I’m already starting to look forward to seeing some of the best rugby league players in the world. “I know Saints fans will be really excited about hosting the Roosters, and I’m certain all rugby league fans across the UK will want to see the greats of our game going toe to toe.

“Thank you to both clubs for their commitment to the fixture, thank you to the Super League clubs for supporting the event and thank you to Betfred for investing in the 2020 showpiece.”

Super League’s principal sponsors Betfred are backing the fixture for the second year running.

Owner Fred Done said: “It should be an absolute cracker watching the best of the Betfred Super League pitching themselves against the best from the NRL.”

Tickets will go on sale for the match exclusively to Saints 2020 Members at midday today (Tuesday 12 November).

Members have until 5pm, Tuesday 10 December to secure their seat or place before General Sale.

2020 Members will also get a discount on the full matchday price if purchased before the 10 December.

Non-members can still purchase tickets in available seats, as well as in the West Stand at the Totally Wicked Stadium.

Facts

· The World Club Challenge is an annual fixture between the winners of the Australian NRL competition and winners of Betfred Super League.

· The game was first played in 1976 – but became a regular fixture in the late 1980s.

· The Sydney Roosters are the current champions, having defeated the Wigan Warriors 8– 20 in Wigan last year.

https://www.nospam18.com/nrl-latest...ers-2020-world-club-challenge-feb-22nd-7-45pm

WCC (https://www.roosters.com.au/news/2019/11/12/roosters-set-for-st-helens-in-wcc-blockbuster/). It will be interesting to see how the teams are managed between the Nines and the WCC (a week between them). It would be history making (I think) if we can go back to back in this game too. I also think a win would make us the most successful WCC club - another great incentive! It'll be a good game, though.

From memory, this game was broadcast on Gem in February this year. I hope that is the case again.

I would love to head over to England to watch this one day. I think it should alternate more frequently.

I expect we'll have a very weak team at the 9s.

Pity the WCC couldn't be over here this year!
Exactly right. The NRL should force the issue IMO. It should get closer to an even sequence. It used to be more for the UK crowds, but I think this argument has weakened or even dissipated in more recent years.

Tigers1986

Juniors
The reason I'm not that fussed with the concept is that it's in February, the premiership winning sides have been altered, and it's almost always held in England.

I did like the World Series concept they started, but the reluctance of the NRL clubs to fly over killed that off. Maybe if it alternated each year, would help those concerns?

The NRL and most clubs don't seem to care.
Yes, you are right, the clubs and NRL do not seem to care. I think it should alternate between here and the UK, with occasional games held in a neutral country such as Singapore (but, of course, in an air conditioned stadium!). I think the idea of it counting for additional premiership points is okay, but I am unsure whether the other clubs would be happy with that. They could be asked, I suppose. Something needs to change, as it is grossly unfair at the moment.

deluded pom?

Coach
Yes, you are right, the clubs and NRL do not seem to care. I think it should alternate between here and the UK, with occasional games held in a neutral country such as Singapore (but, of course, in an air conditioned stadium!). I think the idea of it counting for additional premiership points is okay, but I am unsure whether the other clubs would be happy with that. They could be asked, I suppose. Something needs to change, as it is grossly unfair at the moment.
Unfair as in Australian clubs have won six of the last seven WCCs?

Dakink

Bench
Grossly unfair? I hardly think so. The NRL teams have dominated this event for a few years and this game helps the game over there.

Grossly unfair in terms of the travel required and disruption to our pre-season. I think there has only been two or three played in Australia since 2000, and I just think that things should have been a bit more even, that's all.

I think the WCC concept started in 1976 (when we beat St Helens) and I thought it has always been on the premise that it should be played in the UK to 'help' the game over there by narrowing the gap between the NSWRL/ARL/NRL and the English Premiership/SL. It has now been 43 years, and I am not sure that the game is in a relatively better position now than it was then. In fact, it might have gone a little backwards in relative terms, as it has become a bit more marginalised (relative to football and stronger rugby competitions). I understand that it may be a more successful product over there (the fans seem to respond to it much more than they do in Australia), but I am not sure that is sufficient justification to limit it to two or three games in Australia since 2000. I am saying that perhaps it should be evened up a bit (at least to start with). While the Australian teams have a better record, yes, I am not sure that they should have to be continuously playing to a disadvantage (remembering, too, that the SL clubs have already started their season and will be more 'battle hardened' than the Australian clubs). Anyway, I don't claim to have the answer, but I do think that it should be looked at again. Perhaps the timing should also be considered, to ensure that both teams have their premiership winning squads available. Don't get me wrong, I want the game to flourish in the UK, but I am not sure having nearly all WCCs over there will necessarily facilitate this. It doesn't appear to have helped much to date.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Grossly unfair in terms of the travel required and disruption to our pre-season. I think there has only been two or three played in Australia since 2000, and I just think that things should have been a bit more even, that's all.

I think the WCC concept started in 1976 (when we beat St Helens) and I thought it has always been on the premise that it should be played in the UK to 'help' the game over there by narrowing the gap between the NSWRL/ARL/NRL and the English Premiership/SL. It has now been 43 years, and I am not sure that the game is in a relatively better position now than it was then. In fact, it might have gone a little backwards in relative terms, as it has become a bit more marginalised (relative to football and stronger rugby competitions). I understand that it may be a more successful product over there (the fans seem to respond to it much more than they do in Australia), but I am not sure that is sufficient justification to limit it to two or three games in Australia since 2000. I am saying that perhaps it should be evened up a bit (at least to start with). While the Australian teams have a better record, yes, I am not sure that they should have to be continuously playing to a disadvantage (remembering, too, that the SL clubs have already started their season and will be more 'battle hardened' than the Australian clubs). Anyway, I don't claim to have the answer, but I do think that it should be looked at again. Perhaps the timing should also be considered, to ensure that both teams have their premiership winning squads available. Don't get me wrong, I want the game to flourish in the UK, but I am not sure having nearly all WCCs over there will necessarily facilitate this. It doesn't appear to have helped much to date.

It's a nice money earner for the NRl club and helps generate much needed interest in the game in UK. Well done Roosters for supporting it. The advantages are just eveners really for the amount of money and other advantages NRL clubs have over SL clubs.

Even though the Australian media and clubs don't seem to give it much respect, the crowds are actually very good when it is held out here. Perhaps there should be a best of two or three series each year instead of one? That would eliminate the location bias issue that we have been talking about here. I am keen for the game to get a 'leg up' here as well as in the UK. Anything we can do to foster that is a good thing in my view.

LeagueXIII

First Grade
Even though the Australian media and clubs don't seem to give it much respect, the crowds are actually very good when it is held out here. Perhaps there should be a best of two or three series each year instead of one? That would eliminate the location bias issue that we have been talking about here. I am keen for the game to get a 'leg up' here as well as in the UK. Anything we can do to foster that is a good thing in my view.

No best of three, one day an eight team comp would be great straight knockout, like a cup comp.

No best of three, one day an eight team comp would be great straight knockout, like a cup comp.
Yes, I would be okay with that, but you would have to reduce the number of other games to accommodate it. Personally, I prefer club games over representative ones. That seems like a selfish attitude, but I enjoy the tribalism of club games more than the representative ones, particularly the test matches. Obviously, for the good of the international game, you need to retain test matches, but I am not sure how other alternatives, such as sevens or nines tournaments, would be retained, and at what frequency.

LeagueXIII

First Grade
Yes, I would be okay with that, but you would have to reduce the number of other games to accommodate it. Personally, I prefer club games over representative ones. That seems like a selfish attitude, but I enjoy the tribalism of club games more than the representative ones, particularly the test matches. Obviously, for the good of the international game, you need to retain test matches, but I am not sure how other alternatives, such as sevens or nines tournaments, would be retained, and at what frequency.

I'm the opposite, I prefer the international aspect of our sport. The NRL needs to be played over 22 rounds.