What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dragons cashed up

twinkletoes

Juniors
If the Dragons are so cashed up for 2021 I would have thought they would be signing up some off contract marquee players at this point in time for 2021

possm

Coach
If the Dragons are so cashed up for 2021 I would have thought they would be signing up some off contract marquee players at this point in time for 2021
In the backs, Dufty, Aitken, Lafai, Hunt and at least one of Ravalawa and Pearson should have been signed short term - on one year deals.

Dufty should not have been extended early last season.
Aitken and Lafai should only have been extended on season instead of 3 / 4 years.
Ravalawa and Pearson alsoshould have been signed for one year.
Hunt has been up and down since he arrived. I'd rather Norman at half and Sailor or Dufty at five-eighth. We can make better use of Hunt's salary cap space for a fullback.

Mary should have been sacked long ago and has caused so much damage to the Club and the playing squad.

Dragonslayer

First Grade
In the backs, Dufty, Aitken, Lafai, Hunt and at least one of Ravalawa and Pearson should have been signed short term - on one year deals.

Aitken and Lafai should only have been extended on season instead of 3 / 4 years.
Hunt has been up and down since he arrived. I'd rather Norman at half and Sailor or Dufty at five-eighth. We can make better use of Hunt's salary cap space for a fullback.

Mary should have been sacked long ago and has caused so much damage to the Club and the playing squad.

Exactly. This is the root of all our woes and you can throw in the supporters as well.

Saint_JimmyG

First Grade

Why do you think Hunt’s form has fluctuated? Answer: he hasn’t had the luxury of a consistent five-eighth over a long period.

We saw what he can produce for the first part of 2018 (before Widdop was beset by injury). The same thing occurred this year when Norman was also ruled out, although I don’t believe he’s anywhere near Widdop’s class.

Since the Noel Goldthorpe era (st least 23 years ago), Saints haven’t had the luxury of a genuine, long term halfback. Hunt is going ok. Obviously acquiring a better coach is crucial in Hunt’s overall development.

Crush

Coach
Why do you think Hunt’s form has fluctuated? Answer: he hasn’t had the luxury of a consistent five-eighth over a long period.

We saw what he can produce for the first part of 2018 (before Widdop was beset by injury). The same thing occurred this year when Norman was also ruled out, although I don’t believe he’s anywhere near Widdop’s class.

Since the Noel Goldthorpe era (st least 23 years ago), Saints haven’t had the luxury of a genuine, long term halfback. Hunt is going ok. Obviously acquiring a better coach is crucial in Hunt’s overall development.
To answer the first question, his form has fluctuated because he is an inconsistent, hot and cold type of player. He doesn't handle pressure well. He isn't alone, there are heaps of players that don't have that mental strength to take them to the next level.
The greats thrive on that pressure and stand up when it counts. Ben Hunt tends to make crucial errors under pressure. This one isn't on the coaches.

Saint_JimmyG

First Grade
To answer the first question, his form has fluctuated because he is an inconsistent, hot and cold type of player. He doesn't handle pressure well. He isn't alone, there are heaps of players that don't have that mental strength to take them to the next level.
The greats thrive on that pressure and stand up when it counts. Ben Hunt tends to make crucial errors under pressure. This one isn't on the coaches.

Yet, Hunt gets picked for Queensland. For someone who’s allegedly inconsistent, this is at odds to what selectors for rep games must think.

BLM01

First Grade
Yet, Hunt gets picked for Queensland. For someone who’s allegedly inconsistent, this is at odds to what selectors for rep games must think.
I agree with you re Hunt but Mary's 123 structured easy to read game plans have an affect on him as he is a natural ball runner and should be encouraged to take the line more on.

Now we have Norman and he is a genuine deft kicker and good reader of opposition defense and surprise attack we should be using both to their strengths and let them play what is in front of em. His best forwards should be outside as he can put someone in a hole.

It does not always work out fro the halves taking a punt but it is better than we currently play.
But Mary...enough said....
Mary may protect his players publicly which is honourable but his game tactics, poor defensive structures and playing in chains dent their confidence

blacksafake

First Grade
I agree with you re Hunt but Mary's 123 structured easy to read game plans have an affect on him as he is a natural ball runner and should be encouraged to take the line more on.

Now we have Norman and he is a genuine deft kicker and good reader of opposition defense and surprise attack we should be using both to their strengths and let them play what is in front of em. His best forwards should be outside as he can put someone in a hole.

It does not always work out fro the halves taking a punt but it is better than we currently play.
But Mary...enough said....
Mary may protect his players publicly which is honourable but his game tactics, poor defensive structures and playing in chains dent their confidence
This.
Plus on numerous occasions playing behind a pack that’s been totally outplayed hasn’t helped. You could possibly throw Dufty into this as well, especially the inept structures.

Crush

Coach
Just reading this again, "allegedly inconsistent"?
Its as plain as day that he is inconsistent. Nothing allegedly going on here, its a cold hard fact. He says it himself, he needs to be more consistent, everyone says it.
Hunt is an inconsistent player and the gap between his best and worst game is massive.

BLM01

First Grade
Just reading this again, "allegedly inconsistent"?
Its as plain as day that he is inconsistent. Nothing allegedly going on here, its a cold hard fact. He says it himself, he needs to be more consistent, everyone says it.
Hunt is an inconsistent player and the gap between his best and worst game is massive.
Agree Crush but this also mimics the team he plays in

Crush

Coach
Agree Crush but this also mimics the team he plays in
Yes it does, you're right.
I'm happy that we have Ben Hunt as our halfback and not Josh McCrone thats for sure. On his best day he is a gem.
Just need him to show more confidence, stand up when the pressure is on be consistent.
Hopefully the next coach that comes in in round 11 2020 works well with Ben and 2021 is a better year for him and our club.

41yearsaint

Juniors
"bacha baze"
Very much ingrained and practiced in some countries. If vetting is carried out correctly, i have no dramas with immagrants.

Latest posts