What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2021 Qualifiers

Pommy

Coach
There'll be a lot of teams at the 2021 RLWC who have players in their ranks who speak with an Aussie or Kiwi accent, including which ever team progresses in the last qualifier spot.

I mean that pretty much what I said in the post you quoted.

Burns

First Grade
Looks pretty amateur. Really need to try and make the qualifiers more of an event for 2025

Force

Juniors
A bit of a mistake-a-thon that but congrads to the Cooks who take the last qualifying spot.

adamkungl

Immortal
USA had a real dig and were in it for 70 mins. Considering the calibre of players their opposition had compared to them, their coach has done a fantastic job. Some big decisions at USARL and National level need to be made in how they progress. Where they're at now would be a good step, but a poor plateau.

Congrats to Cook Islands for returning to the World Cup. Good chance they cause some upsets as they did a few weeks ago at 9s.

Force

Juniors
USA had a real dig and were in it for 70 mins. Considering the calibre of players their opposition had compared to them, their coach has done a fantastic job. Some big decisions at USARL and National level need to be made in how they progress. Where they're at now would be a good step, but a poor plateau.

Congrats to Cook Islands for returning to the World Cup. Good chance they cause some upsets as they did a few weeks ago at 9s.
The Cooks made too many mistakes and gave away needless penalties. They helped the US to keep the scores close. A couple of caught balls and the score would've looked different. Cooks looked the more dominant team for most of that match.

siv

First Grade
Good to see the Cooks finally get onto the world stage

They have narrowly missed out for years

Dakink

Bench
Congrats to the Cooks who have earnt there spot. I was hoping the US could cause an upset if nothing for the chance to further develop a market of 300 million people compared to 16000. Cooks though we're the better team and deserve the chance to go to the WC.

Hard to watch though...stream quality was shyte..

adamkungl

Immortal
Assuming that the 8 quarter finalists qualify for 2025*
Depending on the pool drawings, it is theoretically possible for 7 Pacific/Oceania nations to pre-qualify for 2025.
That would not be a good result for the wider sport.

*I have no expectation this will change
Less qualifiers means less work and cost for the IRL and governing bodies.
Even Rugby Union pre-qualifies 12 nations.
On the other hand, FIFA only pre-qualifies the hosts.

I'm mostly fine with the current system, although I'd probably bring it back to just semi-finalists if given the choice

Last edited:

siv

First Grade
I would rather only pre-qualify 2 nations and the hosts

Everyone else should go through qualifiers

Force

Juniors
Now that the qualifiers are over, I hope to see one change.

Do regional qualifiers but for those that fail in their regionals, go into a tournament like the Emerging Nations with the remaining world cup spots up for grabs. Some Nations got more than one chance to qualify, I think its fair for all teams who miss out to have another chance, not just some. The tournament will determine who the 'best of the rest' is as some teams face tougher opposition to qualify in their regionals than others.

Last edited:

The Partisan

Is a HIGHLIGHTS only link (say max. 10 mins) around for the USA V Cook Islands game ? Tried to find one with no success as yet.

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
Do we really need to pre-qualify teams other than the hosts?

We have bi-yearly regional cups starting next year which include Euro, Oceania, MEA and the America's. You'd have to change the format of them though:
  • Euro Cup (4 nations) 2022 - top 3 qualify for 2025, 4th place to Euro qualifying round 2
  • Euro Shield (4 nations) 2022 - top 3 qualify for Euro qualifying round 2, 4th place to repechage
  • Oceania Cup (4 nations) 2022 - top 3 qualify for 2025, 4th place to Oceania qualifying round 2
  • Oceania Shield (4 nations) 2022 - top 3 to Oceania qualifying round 2
  • America's Cup 2022 winner qualifies for 2025, 2nd place to repechage
  • MEA Cup 2022 (including Lebanon) winner qualifies for 2025
  • Confederations Cup (top 3 Oceania, top 3 euro, MEA and America's winners), two pools of 4, play everyone in your pool, winners of each pool play in a final
  • Euro qualifying 2023 (4 nations) top three qualify, 4th place to repechage
  • Oceania qualifying 2023 (4 nations) top three qualify, 4th place to repechage
  • Repechage 2023 (4 nations) top 3 qualify
  • Regional Cups (non WC qualifying)
  • World Cup

Latest posts