What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Match Thread: PNG vs GB

geordie_saint

Juniors
Seems odd that Hodgson, Bateman and Whitehead are all great for Canberra but not this team. Lack of motivation.

I'd only keep the following players:

9. Hodgson 11. Bateman 12. Whitehead 13. James Graham (Bench) 19. George Williams

The Canberra trio only remain because of their NRL efforts, Graham for a solid experienced bench option and Williams because he cared.

First name I'd be getting rid of would be Hodgson. His style of play does not work at this level with this group of players. His attempts to control everything hinders his halfbacks and his distribution is far too slow. GB have looked better when Clarke has been on the field during this tour. It was the same in the RLWC17 when Roby was on the park.

Hodgson, Hill, Hall, Graham, Widdop, Roby (sadly too old and injury-prone now) et al should all be put out to pasture from the international scene...

Pommy

Coach
I've said its a pissweak/nonsense tour since before it started dickhead ....in fact I've been saying it for a f**king decade!!

Exactly my point. You’ve been death riding it from day one and would have been gutted had we won all 4 game’s.

roughyedspud

Coach
There's no appetite for GB anymore...for all the things I've said for a decade...

And also....in was thinking about this this morning and I never realized it before....but brexit has really killed "British people" thinking we are British...

In reality the referendum asked us to chose between us being British or being European ....48% decided they weren't British..Scotland apparently want independence from the UK but want to be run by the EU...northern Ireland &.Ireland have never been closer to a united Ireland.....all cos of the referendum!

I've always seen myself as English first then British....but I've got to the point where I'm like...fxxk them off we'll go it alone,they'll be worse off if they don't want to be in the union..in the grand scheme of things England would only drop down 1 place in the GDP world rankings..6th to 7th...Scotland,Wales & NI would be f**ked though ..

Lol can you tell I've had a beer lol

Billythekid

First Grade
Incredible result though it probably says more about GB than PNG. Still I hope results like this encourage PNG to keep moving forward, long term they seem the most likely prospect of realistically joining the big 3 regularly.

The World Cup is looking well placed, I just hope the NH gets itself together by then. It will kind of suck if they don’t put up a fight at all.

Also Bennett has to go. I can deal with them not beating Aus and NZ or even Tonga but this series is a new low. They need a change, I can barely remember a time where they felt this far behind.

wain

Juniors
This result will build the intrigue regarding the world cup although GB/England are much better at home.

Aus/NZ/GB seem like they've taken half a step back. If SBW commits to Samoa the world cup could be almost a genuine 5 team tournament with a couple of others capable of an upset on their day.
And Milford.
Less likely, but hopeful...Roger T-S.

BadnMean

Juniors
PNG took it to a hot Fiji last week too. Come World Cup time Australia, New Zealand, England, Tonga, Fiji and PNG will be very competitive. Hopefully Samoa join in and it will be the best World Cup ever

England have some work to do. Starting with a new coach.

They don't look interested in playing for him. It has shown up night & day vs Tonga & PNG that they all believe in what they were doing, it was all in. GB didn't. You'd have to think that infects England too unless Bennett wakes up to himself.

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
England have some work to do. Starting with a new coach.

They don't look interested in playing for him. It has shown up night & day vs Tonga & PNG that they all believe in what they were doing, it was all in. GB didn't. You'd have to think that infects England too unless Bennett wakes up to himself.

I might be in the minority here but I actually think they’ll be fine. You don’t go from within 6 points of beating the Kangaroos in a WC final one year, to beating the Kiwis the next year to not being able to compete at all by year 3

The passion will return with the England shirt on and they always play better at home and that’s where they’ll be for the next two years

jim_57

Staff member
Interesting that now Samoa are "dragging the chain" being the last of the big 4 Pacific Nations not to beat a big 3 nation in recent years. They looked likely the earliest nearly beating NZ in the 4N.

As for England they could really do with mid-year tests even if they have 1 or 2 in England with only SL players against the likes of France, Ireland etc. Call it the Knights if you have to but get the best 17 from Super League together.

Dave's mate

Juniors
First name I'd be getting rid of would be Hodgson. His style of play does not work at this level with this group of players. His attempts to control everything hinders his halfbacks and his distribution is far too slow. GB have looked better when Clarke has been on the field during this tour. It was the same in the RLWC17 when Roby was on the park.

Hodgson, Hill, Hall, Graham, Widdop, Roby (sadly too old and injury-prone now) et al should all be put out to pasture from the international scene...
Hodgson is the only English spine player who's above NSW cup level

adamkungl

Immortal
I might be in the minority here but I actually think they’ll be fine. You don’t go from within 6 points of beating the Kangaroos in a WC final one year, to beating the Kiwis the next year to not being able to compete at all by year 3

You do if you have a coach that doesn't watch Super League, has a massive blind spot for average NRL players, and picks blokes who are past it because they almost delivered 2 years ago.

England is currently looking at a quarter finals collapse at home in the World Cup unless they make some major changes. Bennett is too stubborn to admit he's coming at this wrong.

Coastbloke

Bench
PNG took it to a hot Fiji last week too. Come World Cup time Australia, New Zealand, England, Tonga, Fiji and PNG will be very competitive. Hopefully Samoa join in and it will be the best World Cup ever

I still think 2 years out that if France got their shit together professionally and selected their best 17, they would be quite competitive. The reality is they pick a Elite 1 side with 1 or 2 Catalans and Toulouse players and the Status Quo will remain..

Northern

Juniors
Hopefully that’s the end of The Lions.

l just don’t understand why on earth they thought it was a good idea.

Please RFL, stick with England.

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
I still think 2 years out that if France got their shit together professionally and selected their best 17, they would be quite competitive. The reality is they pick a Elite 1 side with 1 or 2 Catalans and Toulouse players and the Status Quo will remain..

I would love nothing more than for France to get their shit together, I'm just tired of waiting for it. They are doing a really poor job considering the progress being made in some countries with much less of a history with the game.

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
Hodgson is the only English spine player who's above NSW cup level

I know this was a tongue in cheek comment but Widdop was an NRL half until the end of this season and George Smith has been signed by Canberra to be their starting half-back from next year onwards.

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
You do if you have a coach that doesn't watch Super League, has a massive blind spot for average NRL players, and picks blokes who are past it because they almost delivered 2 years ago.

England is currently looking at a quarter finals collapse at home in the World Cup unless they make some major changes. Bennett is too stubborn to admit he's coming at this wrong.

I know what you mean but we don't know that Bennett doesn't watch SL and he's done a good job with England if not with the Lions but as he admitted, he was trialling some players with the view to England's 2021 World Cup campaign.

I could be very wrong but I think England will have a good world cup and it certainly will be the most open world cup to date.

miguel de cervantes

First Grade
I would love nothing more than for France to get their shit together, I'm just tired of waiting for it. They are doing a really poor job considering the progress being made in some countries with much less of a history with the game.

Hmmmm, yeah. maybe. history isn't everything. it's not going to pay for this or that. french domestic scene is still lightyears ahead of all bar Australia, England and arguably PNG. and all of this up against one of the richest, strongest and antagonistic unions in the world in the LNR/Top14.

They've directly been involved in helping other countries such as serbia, turkey, belgium, spain, italy, algeria and morocco too. I wouldn't go too hard on them is all.

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
Hmmmm, yeah. maybe. history isn't everything. it's not going to pay for this or that. french domestic scene is still lightyears ahead of all bar Australia, England and arguably PNG. and all of this up against one of the richest, strongest and antagonistic unions in the world in the LNR/Top14.

They've directly been involved in helping other countries such as serbia, turkey, belgium, spain, italy, algeria and morocco too. I wouldn't go too hard on them is all.

You make some good points there.

Latest posts