What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Signings for 2020 and future looking team

lynx000

Juniors
How would we know if he was actually one of our better backup forwards or not, we never got the chance to see him in action. For all the doom and gloom about losing him, does anyone know if any other club has picked him up? If he was as good as his stats suggest surely someone has signed him by now. If not why not?
I believe he has signed with us on a training contract.

Dragon70

Juniors
Looking at our current squad, prop is becoming a major concern for me.
We currently have:
Graham, who is suffering from age, injuries especially concussions.
Lawrie, who is young and still learning his trade.
Blacker, who isn't nearly ready for 1st grade.
Kerr, who has been around a while, but hasn't been given the opportunity to cement a 1st grade spot.
K. Sims, who is a bit of a loose cannon.
Vaughan, probably our best prop atm.

We may try to manufacture one or 2 in Leilua, Frizell or even Host (it's not Host's go mind you imo)

We also need a lock and a lot will come down to the JDB decision. Who then will play lock?

The way I see it (with JDB rubbed out), is that Vaughan and Lawrie should be starting props, with Kerr and Graham on the bench. K. Sims to lock. If JDB is successful then I think Kerr drops back to CC with K. Sims on the bench with Graham.

The main issue becomes injuries, who are the back-ups from CC, or do we have to manufacture one or 2 or 3?
I think Lawrie will be good in the prop rotation

possm

Coach
I agree. I have admired Luke in the past but there is a reason that the Warriors let him go. His shoulder has kept him on the sidelines often over the last two years. Can’t see the benefit in signing him.
So why Luke over Robson? To me it seems that Robson is all upside and Luke is all downside.

Dragonslayer

First Grade
So why Luke over Robson? To me it seems that Robson is all upside and Luke is all downside.

Robson wanted a starting role, he was never going to get that here. He was also offered a 4yr deal. Luke would be happy as the back-up and very cheap. In saying that, Lovodua is probably the one who would also be ok as the utility hooker/forward role.

Dragon Revival

Juniors
My team fo next year.
Sailor
Saab
Lomax
Ford
Pereira
Norman
Hunt
T Sims
Frizell
Leilua
Kerr
Mc Innes
Vaughan
Bench
K Sims
Lawrie
Graham
Host
We need to revamp our pathetic backline.

Old Timer

Coach
Has Ford played centre in CC or juniors?
I know our current centres are pathetic but trying to shift a player learning his trade in the back row to fill the gap is mighty odd IMO.

Dragsters

First Grade
And yet supercoach was touted as such a good man manager during the jdb saga yet shows such a pig headed arrogant attitude to young timm .. So as we know its supercoaches way or your under the bus,..... thank christ we have another designated driver on board for 2020

Indeed...

Dragon Revival

Juniors
Old Timer when Chase Stanley leaked like a sieve Bennett put Beau Scott in the centres which fixed the problem. I believe that Ford is a top player and like Ken Maddison who played centre and second row and others like Roy Ferguson and Graeme Bradley who were blockbusting players, Ford has no apparent weaknesses. Our backline is leaking like a sieve and this needs to be fixed immediately. Lafai and Aitken are hopeless and not the answer and are the weakest centre combination in my 50 years watching the Dragons team. Even Bob Clapham a blockbusting sluggish centre helped get us to a Grand Final in 1971.

George Dragon

Juniors
Old Timer when Chase Stanley leaked like a sieve Bennett put Beau Scott in the centres which fixed the problem. I believe that Ford is a top player and like Ken Maddison who played centre and second row and others like Roy Ferguson and Graeme Bradley who were blockbusting players, Ford has no apparent weaknesses. Our backline is leaking like a sieve and this needs to be fixed immediately. Lafai and Aitken are hopeless and not the answer and are the weakest centre combination in my 50 years watching the Dragons team. Even Bob Clapham a blockbusting sluggish centre helped get us to a Grand Final in 1971.
No apparent weaknesses...
Have you watched him.play...
His defence is terrible
Around 80% in ressie and 78% in FG.
So the answer to fixing our centre defense Aitken 86% Lafai 83%
is an inexperienced back rower with bad defence.

Issac Luke confirms move to Dragons. Mary surely now has the team he wants. F#*king comedy central this joint...

Straight Shooter

Issac Luke confirms Dragons move as Paul McGregor’s No.9 plan revealed
DRAGONS

simon_brunsdon.jpg

17711e2fd8919a80bc43d15c2581aceb

Issac Luke will join the Dragons for 2020.Source: Getty Images
Issac Luke has confirmed he will join St George Illawarra for next season.

The veteran hooker tweeted on Sunday, “St George Dragons. On way (sic)”.

Luke, 32, had not been offered a contract extension by the Warriors and was snapped up by the Dragons on what’s believed to be a bargain for the club.

He will remain behind Cameron McInnes in the No.9 pecking order. The pair previously played together at South Sydney.

NRL.com is reporting coach Paul McGregor plans to start McInnes at rake but then move him to the backrow, and Luke will potentially come off the bench to do the dummy half role.
issac luke

✔@issacluke_14

https://twitter.com/issacluke_14/status/1195858882683256832

St George Dragons
On way
$

11:19 AM - Nov 17, 2019

https://twitter.com/issacluke_14/status/1195858882683256832

TruSaint

Referee
Issac Luke confirms move to Dragons. Mary surely now has the team he wants. F#*king comedy central this joint...

Straight Shooter

Issac Luke confirms Dragons move as Paul McGregor’s No.9 plan revealed
DRAGONS

simon_brunsdon.jpg

17711e2fd8919a80bc43d15c2581aceb

Issac Luke will join the Dragons for 2020.Source: Getty Images
Issac Luke has confirmed he will join St George Illawarra for next season.

The veteran hooker tweeted on Sunday, “St George Dragons. On way (sic)”.

Luke, 32, had not been offered a contract extension by the Warriors and was snapped up by the Dragons on what’s believed to be a bargain for the club.

He will remain behind Cameron McInnes in the No.9 pecking order. The pair previously played together at South Sydney.

NRL.com is reporting coach Paul McGregor plans to start McInnes at rake but then move him to the backrow, and Luke will potentially come off the bench to do the dummy half role.
issac luke

:heavy_check_mark:@issacluke_14

St George Dragons
On way
$

11:19 AM - Nov 17, 2019

THanks OV,

So every media outlet and the player himself have confirmed it.
Yet the Club hasn't.

Excellent stuff...

:):):)

Old Timer

Coach
No apparent weaknesses...
Have you watched him.play...
His defence is terrible
Around 80% in ressie and 78% in FG.
So the answer to fixing our centre defense Aitken 86% Lafai 83%
is an inexperienced back rower with bad defence.
Amazing how some people latch on to a player as if he will fix all the ills that beset the team.
I see some potential in Ford but only have seen him as a backrower and know that he has a long way to go to master that position let alone centre in a backline that is I’ll disciplined in all facets of the game.

Dragonslayer

First Grade
So, with the Luke signing, it's time to look at the make-up of the bench for 2020. Given what has been said, Luke will take 1 bench spot, with 2 rotation props, so who takes the dreaded #17 jumper?

My bench, allowing for Luke, would be:
Graham
Kerr/K. Sims (wait JDB case)
Luke
Leilua

There are going to be a lot of players missing out, such as Ford, Host, Dufty/Sailor etc. We also, at this stage, don't know if other signings will effect this as well eg: Capewell.

Old Timer

Coach
If Cam is to go to lock after starting at dummy half it is obvious he doesn't need a spell and is an 80 minute player.
So if he is required to produce some spark at lock surely that means he needs to save something whilst he is at dummy half otherwise the gas tank will be empty will it not?
So is the idea for him just to shovel the ball out from dummy half, use no initiative or instinct and all the while tackle his heart out and if so why does he need to go to lock to do that?
This is just another clusterf**k idea from the coaching staff that makes an art form of such things.

Forbes Creek Dragons

First Grade
So raiders look like moving BJ Leilua on to bring in Curtis Scott from Storm.
Meanwhile at dragons Lafai and Aitken under no pressure, nothing to worry about for those boys.
We should be going hard for Scott, the fact we are not says to me we are focused on retaining Lomax, and just having Lafai and Aitken duke it out for a spot until 21 when they are both released.

Crush

Coach
We should be going hard for Scott, the fact we are not says to me we are focused on retaining Lomax, and just having Lafai and Aitken duke it out for a spot until 21 when they are both released.
What makes you think that Lomax will get a run before Aitken and Lafai?
Didn't Mary select Lomax on the wing last season to accommodate Aitken and Lafai?
Mate, dont let the off-season play tricks on you, I am guilty too of thinking positively and hoping Mary will change.
Won't happen! Aitken and Lafai are his centres, Lomax will likely play wing until he gets fed up and leaves.

Dragonslayer

First Grade
If Cam is to go to lock after starting at dummy half it is obvious he doesn't need a spell and is an 80 minute player.
So if he is required to produce some spark at lock surely that means he needs to save something whilst he is at dummy half otherwise the gas tank will be empty will it not?
So is the idea for him just to shovel the ball out from dummy half, use no initiative or instinct and all the while tackle his heart out and if so why does he need to go to lock to do that?
This is just another clusterf**k idea from the coaching staff that makes an art form of such things.

And what happens if JDB is cleared?
There would be no need for Cam to go to lock or even have Luke in the 17.
There's more to it than meets the eye i feel.

Latest posts