What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Parramatta Eels Juniors

Delboy

First Grade
Can’t keep them all......
But, but ... We are a development club. The issue is not losing players as that happens, but there is a background problem. That may not concern you and others, but those with an interest at junior level see it as unhelpful

hineyrulz

Post Whore
But, but ... We are a development club. The issue is not losing players as that happens, but there is a background problem. That may not concern you and others, but those with an interest at junior level see it as unhelpful
You’re sarcasm detector must be broken, I always thought O’Neill was a poor appointment. Not good enough for the Tigers but good enough for us. Max penny pinching again........

Brian Smith doesn’t have a job atm I’d have him back in a heartbeat.

Is the club at least signing players to counteract the losses? I assume most of the players leaving are being signed to development contracts by other clubs which are hard to compete with.

Delboy

First Grade
You’re sarcasm detector must be broken, I always thought O’Neill was a poor appointment. Not good enough for the Tigers but good enough for us. Max penny pinching again........

Sarcasm detector is broken currently, painting doors and the boss is spring cleaning. :grin:

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Is the club at least signing players to counteract the losses? I assume most of the players leaving are being signed to development contracts by other clubs which are hard to compete with.
Exactly. There's only six development contracts for this very reason - so clubs can't stockpile all the junior talent. It might not be good for us but it's good for the game. And given our attempts at junior development and retention in the past it's probably good for us anyway.

Obscene Assassin

First Grade

We did sign Oliver Clements earlier in the year who plays second -row. We probably need to sign a few more especially in the spine but it'll be a hard sell as all of our first grade spine are 25 or younger and we have young back-up halves and a hooker, with the young ones coming through Fonua is training with the first grade squad, as is Schneider so it isn't as if we are completely devoid of young talent.

From the names that have been thrown around I'm not overly concerned with the players that haven't been re-signed, apart from Trey Mooney I think he can be a very good player and seems to have the right attitude for a kid of his age. If he has been given a D6 contract then that is hard to contend with as we seem to have most if not all spots filled up there with Hollis, Hughes, and Duggan all training with the first grade squad so far this pre-season; would it be worthy to add another edge/middle forward to that list? Probably not.

We've been a bit slow in terms of keeping some of the younger players in recent years, but none that would really transform our team into a better prospect. Maybe we need to bring in or have someone devoted to "transition" players but I think between MON, Field, and BA we have enough knowledgeable people in areas to make sure that the right players are retained. Looking at our first grade 17 we are in a good situation where we can be more picky about who is retained, not like it was 5-8 years ago where it was vital that we kept all or most transitioning players.

So, how do you think O'Neill has gone with signings in the top tier? I don't see much to complain about at that level. He wasn't shown the door by Wests because of an alleged incident of inappropriate behaviour, not because he couldn't do the job.

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/we...-over-alleged-misconduct-20160918-griz7u.html

Delboy

First Grade
OA, yes and no. We are still waiting for confirmation on Reed and Dylan for instance, and while none that have left would be pushing for a first grade spot in the short term, my understanding is at least a couple of them were wanted , it was the internal delay in offering contracts that became an issue.

MON has a lot to prove, and let's wait and see how the rest of this off season pans out. I believe not all staff are happy with the delays his processes have caused.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
So we have Schneider, Fonua, Duggan, Hollis and Hughes in our development squad (and presumably, Utoikamanu until he agrees to an extension) as well as only four spots left in the top 30 (three if we re-sign Mennings).

If Utoikamanu move into the top 30 that will free up a development slot and leave us with only two top 30 spots, three if Mennings leaves. We really don't have a lot of room for all these other nuffies.

Rhys Davies was very good at reserve grade level last year so he's a better player than Biondi-Odo and most of these other merkins who've left. Do any of you guys know what his contract status is? Will he be signing a part time NSW Cup contract for 2020?

hineyrulz

Post Whore
So, how do you think O'Neill has gone with signings in the top tier? I don't see much to complain about at that level. He wasn't shown the door by Wests because of an alleged incident of inappropriate behaviour, not because he couldn't do the job.

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/we...-over-alleged-misconduct-20160918-griz7u.html
We still hasn’t wrapped up Mahoney, Brown or Stefano yet. We’ve made some decent top tier signings but we made decent signings before he arrived as well. I just think as usual Max went the cheap option when there other more qualified options out there. Brian Smith among others.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
OA, yes and no. We are still waiting for confirmation on Reed and Dylan for instance, and while none that have left would be pushing for a first grade spot in the short term, my understanding is at least a couple of them were wanted , it was the internal delay in offering contracts that became an issue.
There needs to be an 'internal delay' while higher priority players make their decisions. If other clubs are more desperate it's their prerogative to move quicker on these kids. We can't exactly offer more development contracts while the list is full, and Utoikamanu can't move into the top 30 until he agrees to an upgrade.

Obscene Assassin

First Grade

MON has a lot to prove, and let's wait and see how the rest of this off season pans out. I believe not all staff are happy with the delays his processes have caused.

Of the ones that have been named: Lui, Taipari, Field, BBO, Kei, Fainga'a, Mooney. The only one of concern to me is Mooney, Lui can also be a good prospect but I'm not sure the tigers is a good fit for his attitude and personality.

The biggest concern out of losing that particular set of players is who is going to play in the halves for our Jersey Flegg team?

Obscene Assassin

First Grade
So we have Schneider, Fonua, Duggan, Hollis and Hughes in our development squad (and presumably, Utoikamanu until he agrees to an extension) as well as only four spots left in the top 30 (three if we re-sign Mennings).

If Utoikamanu move into the top 30 that will free up a development slot and leave us with only two top 30 spots, three if Mennings leaves. We really don't have a lot of room for all these other nuffies.

Rhys Davies was very good at reserve grade level last year so he's a better player than Biondi-Odo and most of these other merkins who've left. Do any of you guys know what his contract status is? Will he be signing a part time NSW Cup contract for 2020?

Delboy

First Grade
There needs to be an 'internal delay' while higher priority players make their decisions. If other clubs are more desperate it's their prerogative to move quicker on these kids. We can't exactly offer more development contracts while the list is full, and Utoikamanu can't move into the top 30 until he agrees to an upgrade.
Pou, I know you make decisions from a distance, the delay was nothing to do with priority, purely the process put in place by MON which my information is far too beauraucratic and slow. Anyway, I will trust my position given where the info came from, really hope it improves as it is being felt through the junior system and players.

hindy111

Post Whore
As much as it's a concern. I do see a few teams who pour heaps into juniors and get then ready and play regular NRL. And they are far from that successful.
A lot of the better teams seem to just build a squad from who is NRL ready and on market.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Pou, I know you make decisions from a distance, the delay was nothing to do with priority, purely the process put in place by MON which my information is far too beauraucratic and slow. Anyway, I will trust my position given where the info came from, really hope it improves as it is being felt through the junior system and players.
The way you talk about this stuff indicates you don't give it a lot of thought, Del. You haven't addressed the limits on the number of players that can be signed to development contracts, for example. If your best juniors over the age of 18 aren't ready for the top 30 they need to be in one of six development slots. Once that squad is full there's nothing more you can offer a youngster that other clubs with free development slots can offer. Your hands are tied, but merkins with an axe to grind can make up other shit about why a player went elsewhere, and drama loving merkins will lap it up.

Delboy

First Grade
The way you talk about this stuff indicates you don't give it a lot of thought, Del. You haven't addressed the limits on the number of players that can be signed to development contracts, for example. If your best juniors over the age of 18 aren't ready for the top 30 they need to be in one of six development slots. Once that squad is full there's nothing more you can offer a youngster that other clubs with free development slots can offer. Your hands are tied, but merkins with an axe to grind can make up other shit about why a player went elsewhere, and drama loving merkins will lap it up.
Again, my comments are basically about players below the development and reserve grade level. If you are condescending enough to suggest there has been no thought behind what I have said, then continue to live in your interstate bubble and like a lot of people who used to post ,I will leave you and others to pontificate without any first hand knowledge.

Latest posts