What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured and Confirmed signings - Part 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

MugaB

Coach
Spend the 1 million = get yourself a marquee centre or prop worthy signing on 700k and promote another 3 juniors on 100k each

Last edited:

franklin2323

Immortal
Spend the 1 million = get yourself a marquee centre or prop worthy signing on 700k and promote another 3 juniors on 100k each

That is one way to go depending on the squad makeup. Is one marquee player going to be enough to change a team? Or is it better to get 2-3 better players? I think option 2

MugaB

Coach
That is one way to go depending on the squad makeup. Is one marquee player going to be enough to change a team? Or is it better to get 2-3 better players? I think option 2
Maybe, but we as a club have the advantage of a better and bigger junior base to cover the 3 spots and be able to sign that marquee player, where other teams may not, plus risk losing those 3 of our juniors to other clubs, by not doing option one

OldPanther

Coach
Again talking like it is complete. Lets see where the squad is when it is finished

The point is about the club supposedly waiting not fans and their opinions.

If we do this we'll never win another comp. You need those marquee players.

franklin2323

Immortal
The point is about the club supposedly waiting not fans and their opinions.

If we do this we'll never win another comp. You need those marquee players.

At this point in time we look to have a bottom 8 team. Adding a marquee player alone won't fix that plenty of cap space is free over the next couple of years though unlike the previous 5. So can go for the big fish to take the roster from top 8 to top 4 or premiership

franklin2323

Immortal
Maybe, but we as a club have the advantage of a better and bigger junior base to cover the 3 spots and be able to sign that marquee player, where other teams may not, plus risk losing those 3 of our juniors to other clubs, by not doing option one

Next year or the year after. Guys like Martin, Naden, Luai/Burton will be better. So we won't need to worry about the edge defence and can go to make that big signing needed

OldPanther

Coach
At this point in time we look to have a bottom 8 team. Adding a marquee player alone won't fix that plenty of cap space is free over the next couple of years though unlike the previous 5. So can go for the big fish to take the roster from top 8 to top 4 or premiership

You'd be asking fans to wait 2 or 3 seasons. I can see the merit in what your saying but I don't think people have that kind of Patience anymore.

franklin2323

Immortal
You'd be asking fans to wait 2 or 3 seasons. I can see the merit in what your saying but I don't think people have that kind of Patience anymore.

Salary cap what it is you can’t quick fix. The edges seem weak now but it guys develop quicker then might not matter but we have cap space over the next few years atleast

BxTom

Bench
In that case you inflate some contracts to meet the minimum. I'm pretty sure Newcastle had to give a few pay rises one year to meet the minimum.
So in the following year/years we need to sign some more players but we have cap problems because we inflated salaries. Don't think so. Try again. I don't believe Newcastle would have done so neither. The agents and the ATO would not allow it.

OldPanther

Coach
So in the following year/years we need to sign some more players but we have cap problems because we inflated salaries. Don't think so. Try again. I don't believe Newcastle would have done so neither. The agents and the ATO would not allow it.

No you just pay guys a bit extra or you can slightly front load a few contracts. The Knights absolutely had to before Ponga and Pearce got there. Now they have a few big $$ players it's not an issue.

Salary cap what it is you can’t quick fix. The edges seem weak now but it guys develop quicker then might not matter but we have cap space over the next few years atleast

The salary cap doesn't prevent us buying Scott or Mitchell and promoting a few juniors on minimum wage making our backline much stronger.

betcats

Referee
I'll be critical of the club for not signing anyone when we actually don't sign anyone. Everyone assumed we only got Api because of Barrett which turned out to be false(didn't stop some from using it as criticism though), why jump to conclusions now? Most of a clubs recruitment is behind the scenes discussions with player mangers, all we get are rumours and speculation form the media most of which are pure rubbish. A lot people just assuming we are making mistakes based on what exactly? A player signed with another club(or is rumoured to be signing) so that means our club f**ked up?

BxTom

Bench
No you just pay guys a bit extra or you can slightly front load a few contracts. The Knights absolutely had to before Ponga and Pearce got there. Now they have a few big $$ players it's not an issue.

The salary cap doesn't prevent us buying Scott or Mitchell and promoting a few juniors on minimum wage making our backline much stronger.
Front loading/back loading, I believe, is illegal now. The ATO, player managers, the NRL and the rest of us would like to know which players at Newcastle had their wages inflated. Care to name them? My original argument still stands.

OldPanther

Coach
Front loading/back loading, I believe, is illegal now. The ATO, player managers, the NRL and the rest of us would like to know which players at Newcastle had their wages inflated. Care to name them? My original argument still stands.

You've completely misunderstood my comment. When I say inflate I mean pay more than they'd be worth otherwise. Not cook the books :joy:

I'll be critical of the club for not signing anyone when we actually don't sign anyone. Everyone assumed we only got Api because of Barrett which turned out to be false(didn't stop some from using it as criticism though), why jump to conclusions now? Most of a clubs recruitment is behind the scenes discussions with player mangers, all we get are rumours and speculation form the media most of which are pure rubbish. A lot people just assuming we are making mistakes based on what exactly? A player signed with another club(or is rumoured to be signing) so that means our club f**ked up?

Pretty sure it's a reaction to the "development club" line and the obsession with Penrith juniors.

betcats

Referee
You've completely misunderstood my comment. When I say inflate I mean pay more than they'd be worth otherwise. Not cook the books :joy:

Pretty sure it's a reaction to the "development club" line and the obsession with Penrith juniors.

Just seems like people trying to justify their impatience to me.

OldPanther

Coach
Just seems like people trying to justify their impatience to me.

You might be right. I don't know everyone's motivations. I think it's reasonable for people to be concerned though. Even Franklin who is preaching patience is freaking out about experience. On some level we are all worried about the roster for 2020.

OldPanther

Coach

It seems to be certain extreme versions of the practice rather than a total ban and no mention of front loading and like I said I didnt mean lying on the paperwork about a players salary. I meant for example a player is worth $100k you pay him $200k to bring up your cap for that year.

https://www.nrl.com/news/2018/11/14/nrl-changes-rules-to-restrict-back-ended-contracts/

"NRL chief executive Todd Greenberg declared a ban on heavily back-ended contracts after a meeting of club bosses on Wednesday and also announced that a working party had been established to investigate the feasibility of a trade period for signing players."

Bob

Juniors
You might be right. I don't know everyone's motivations. I think it's reasonable for people to be concerned though. Even Franklin who is preaching patience is freaking out about experience. On some level we are all worried about the roster for 2020.
I must be the only one here not concerned about our roster, sure it would be great to have players like Mitchell or Scott but if they don’t come I’m more than happy with our team as it is

OldPanther

Coach
I must be the only one here not concerned about our roster, sure it would be great to have players like Mitchell or Scott but if they don’t come I’m more than happy with our team as it is

I have a lot of faith in our guys. Me personally I just want to know what the idea is going forward. If they plan to turn these guys into a premiership force over the next 2 years that's cool I'm just curious what the philosophy of the new hierarchy is.

Status
Not open for further replies.