What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Fears 2025 RLWC USA may not happen

jim_57

Staff member
I agree it could be expanded upon after PNG I just think Hawaii is a stretch. That one off long flight still writes off an entire day for the team doing it and gives an advantage to the opposition who was more local.

In my opinion there’s also issues with some teams playing games in tropical conditions and others not. having an entire group hosted in say Port Moresby or Hawaii whilst other teams might not leave NSW or Vic in the groups I believe could have an impact or fatigue levels as the tournament goes on.
That’s not to say it shouldn’t happen but in my opinion it is something which needs to be taken in to consideration and scheduling be worked out. For instance if there are longer periods between games as the tournament goes on these should probably go to the teams who have been playing up there.

Hawaii would probably have to be done in a "round zero" type of way with the teams who play there getting a few extra days recovery than the teams they play in the following round. Have the Hawaii game on a Thursday/Friday & then those 2 teams don't play again until the following Sunday/Monday.

That's assuming there would only be 1 game there and they had the sense to play it in the first round. Any more games and it gets trickier obviously.

greenBV4

Bench
Going along with the suggestions about Hawaii, you could always base the whole pool there and make the games double headers (since it'd probably be a usa-lead pool along with other lower drawing nations), so that theres no travel to and from?

greenBV4

Bench
Going along with the suggestions about Hawaii, you could always base the whole pool there and make the games double headers (since it'd probably be a usa-lead pool along with other lower drawing nations), so that theres no travel to and from?
though I'd look up the stadium - would be awesome to see RL played here
image_handler.jpg

adamkungl

Immortal
That looks a very narrow pitch. I doubt it would meet RLIF minimum dimensions.

RLIF rulebook merely stipulates that dimensions of the field must be as close to maximum as possible.

However, an American football field is a full 20m narrower than a rugby field. Certainly enough to change the dynamic of the game. And that Hawaiin stadium leaves very little room to move.

greenBV4

Bench
RLIF rulebook merely stipulates that dimensions of the field must be as close to maximum as possible.

However, an American football field is a full 20m narrower than a rugby field. Certainly enough to change the dynamic of the game. And that Hawaiin stadium leaves very little room to move.

Im pretty sure the side seats move in and out, Ive seen photos of it set up for baseball

adamkungl

Immortal
With a new calendar plan to be announced in Feb 2020...

We should start hearing concrete details about 2025.

Still hoping for an Argyle/Wolfpack led consortium to keep it in North America but lets be real it's probably going back to Australia

Coastbloke

Bench
With a new calendar plan to be announced in Feb 2020...

We should start hearing concrete details about 2025.

Still hoping for an Argyle/Wolfpack led consortium to keep it in North America but lets be real it's probably going back to Australia

According to the Rugby League Planet FB page, 2025 is going back out to Tender..

adamkungl

Immortal
That has been the case for about a year now.

My hope is that a Canada-USA bid is re-launched via the Wolfpack, Ottawa and NYC backers.

My expectation is about $1.01 we'll get an almost exact re-run of 2017, in AUS + PNG and NZ.

New Zealand:
As interesting as the idea of a competition hosted by NZ with a handful of games taken to the Pacific Islands, I don't think there is the confidence in NZ audience or the financial backing from the NZRL for NZ to majority host.

France:
FFR doesn't have the money and likely doesn't have the influence to get the required private/government backing. Maybe if Catalans, Toulouse and the FFR worked together?

South Africa:
Would require a huge financial guarantee including government and even Rugby Union support.

Springs09

Juniors
How much are NZ against hosting? As in, would they be against a near-repeat of 2017 but flipped? NZ could host 9 or 10 pool games, Australia 7 or 8, PNG 4, Fiji 2, Samoa 1, for example. QFs 2 NZ, 1 Aus, 1 PNG. SFs 1 NZ, 1 Aus. Final NZ.

13 games in NZ wouldn't be too hard you wouldn't think, especially compared to 31 games in USA/Canada.

wain

Juniors
Looks like the USA will host the 2031 Rugby Union World Cup.

Is it important for league to get there first ?
Personally, I think so. Nth America (USA and Canada) is pretty similar in the sense of the general public not knowing the difference between League and Union, so I reckon the ability to get in early and ideally get a groundswell of momentum is massive. Obviously, very similar to what Toronto has done with Wolfpack. They have been building for a few years, and it wasn't a surprise that RU included a Toronto team in their league...but I feel the momentum that the Wolfpack have generated (even pre-SBW) will be hard to reclaim. Hopefully, now when the people of Toronto think of 'rugby', they think of League!

Dream:
West Coast (California, Salt Lake City, Hawaii, etc) to host pacific nations due to % of locals with heritage.
East Coast (Boston, NY, Chicago, Philly, etc) to host European nations due to % of locals with heritage.
Canada can host their matches.

Arucard

Juniors
It's important to explore commercial opportunities if we want the RLWC brand to grow. Unfortunately we all know it'll head back to Australia again.

taste2taste

Juniors
Personally, I think so. Nth America (USA and Canada) is pretty similar in the sense of the general public not knowing the difference between League and Union, so I reckon the ability to get in early and ideally get a groundswell of momentum is massive. Obviously, very similar to what Toronto has done with Wolfpack. They have been building for a few years, and it wasn't a surprise that RU included a Toronto team in their league...but I feel the momentum that the Wolfpack have generated (even pre-SBW) will be hard to reclaim. Hopefully, now when the people of Toronto think of 'rugby', they think of League!

Dream:
West Coast (California, Salt Lake City, Hawaii, etc) to host pacific nations due to % of locals with heritage.
East Coast (Boston, NY, Chicago, Philly, etc) to host European nations due to % of locals with heritage.
Canada can host their matches.

Which RU comp has included a Toronto team ? I had a quick google and couldn't find anything...

I think its more important for the Super League to beat RU and have professional teams in New York, Boston and Philadelphia ... ( Basically any major east coast city ) before Union does.

North America is free of the 100 years of politics between the 2 codes, they will be able to choose a code based on which they most enjoy watching.

As Steve Mascord said in a recent article, its looking like its up to billionaire entrepreneurs to spread the game :D

wain

Juniors
Which RU comp has included a Toronto team ? I had a quick google and couldn't find anything...

I think its more important for the Super League to beat RU and have professional teams in New York, Boston and Philadelphia ... ( Basically any major east coast city ) before Union does.

North America is free of the 100 years of politics between the 2 codes, they will be able to choose a code based on which they most enjoy watching.

As Steve Mascord said in a recent article, its looking like its up to billionaire entrepreneurs to spread the game :D
https://www.majorleague.rugby/

I don't disagree with your comment on the pro teams, especially in more 'traditional' rugby cities in the States.
But I do feel US people love cheering on their country and college teams more than pro teams. So that is part of my reasoning behind the importance of the national team/world cup.