What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

RTS wins Golden Boot.

Rich102

Staff member
Kiwis fullback Roger Tuivasa-Sheck has won the International Rugby League (IRL) Golden Boot award for 2019.

The 26-year-old beat New Zealand team-mate Jared Waerea-Hargreaves and another prop in Tonga's Siosiua Taukeiaho, to be crowned the best player in the international game on Sunday night.

Tuivasa-Sheck, who is captain of the Warriors NRL club, becomes the fifth Kiwi to win the award, following in the footsteps of Hugh McGahan (joint winner in 1987), Stacey Jones (2002), Benji Marshall (2010) and Shaun Johnson (2014).

Sonny Bill Williams also won the 2013 International Player of the Year award, which has been replaced by the Golden Boot after the IRL took control of the award from Rugby League World magazine.

Players' performances in all this year's sanctioned international matches (not including the World Cup 9s) were taken into consideration, including last year's final test between England and New Zealand, which was played after the 2018 award cut-off.

Other players under consideration for the Golden Boot award who didn't make the judging panel's eventual three-man shortlist were included Kangaroos hooker Damien Cook and prop Payne Haas, Tonga five-eighth Tui Lolohea and Great Britain forward John Bateman.

After injury ruled him out of international play last year, Tuivasa-Sheck returned in style this season, helping New Zealand defeat Tonga 34-14 in the mid-season Oceania Cup test, playing a big part in a 26-4 losing cause to Australia, then performing strongly in this month's 2-0 series triumph over Great Britain.

It's yet another accolade in Tuivasa-Sheck's burgeoning cabinet, having been named Kiwis Player of the Year in 2017, the Dally M Player of the Year and Fullback of the Year in 2018, and in 2019 winning an historic third successive Warriors' player of the year award.

"Putting on the black and white jersey and representing my country is always a privilege and winning this Golden Boot award is a huge honour," Tuivasa-Sheck said.

"Thank you to the IRL, NZRL and, of course, my family, as without their love and support, none of this would be possible.

"This year's campaign has been one to remember, and although being away from my family was difficult, this makes it all worth it, this award is for them."

Australia centre Jessica Sergis won the women's Golden Boot award, which was introduced last year.

https://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/leagu...ack-roger-tuivasasheck-wins-golden-boot-award

Benek

Juniors
Makes me laugh at how some Ozzies are complaining that Tedesco got "snubbed". Clearly they don't understand the award criteria.

TheDMC

Bench
Makes me laugh at how some Ozzies are complaining that Tedesco got "snubbed". Clearly they don't understand the award criteria.

Tedesco is the best player in the world on all metrics, apparently.

Meth

Staff member

Well, the award criteria makes it a bit of a joke. The fact that Lolohea was up for it is laughable. But yes, based on the criteria, RTS was the very best choice.