What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Next Wicket-keeper?

He's an opener who doesn't keep in four day cricket though.

He's a keeper in the Handscomb/Bancroft category.

Perfect for him to start off in T20i’s instead of Carey, then work his way up to ODI’s. He’s pretty young, very good strike rate.

He looks better than Handscomb & Bancroft at keeping to me.

Remember as well, Adam Gilchrist came into shield as just a batsmen. We shouldn’t pigeonhole anyone at such a young age.

Last edited:

Timbo

Staff member
I am getting really worried about the seeming lock Carey has on this gig post-Paine.

He's just missed a stumping in this ODD game you'd expect a fifth grade park keeper to take. I've watched a fair bit of this comp, plus the Australia A tour match and a few of the streams of the Shield and I honestly just don't see it. I don't think his batting technique is nearly good enough for test cricket and his keeping isn't what you expect from a test gloveman either.

He was also contracted to an AFL club before falling back to cricket, which should be an automatic disqualification anyway.

TheParraboy

Staff member
Hopefully Paine can get through the summer and do well, as well as be injury free. Was reading this article and he said if he feels he is performing well and body feeling good he would like to go on beyond this summer, but also said things can change very quickly

https://www.espncricinfo.com/story/_/id/28106131/tim-paine-contemplates-last-wave-summer

We probably need someone from Shield to step up and be given a crack

Carey seems most likely, but considering his keeping and age wouldn't be a bad thing to just get him to concentrate on t20 (with the WC looming) and the ODIs

Bazal

Post Whore
I am getting really worried about the seeming lock Carey has on this gig post-Paine.

He's just missed a stumping in this ODD game you'd expect a fifth grade park keeper to take. I've watched a fair bit of this comp, plus the Australia A tour match and a few of the streams of the Shield and I honestly just don't see it. I don't think his batting technique is nearly good enough for test cricket and his keeping isn't what you expect from a test gloveman either.

He was also contracted to an AFL club before falling back to cricket, which should be an automatic disqualification anyway.

But but but he's the future and so much better than Paine!

I've never understood the hype. He's not young, he's not a very good batsman and his keeping is solid at best. Likeable dude for sure and a good short form option but we need to do better for the Test side