What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Breakout year?

Frank Facer

First Grade
I predict Lomax to have a breakout year. Ford and Saab are the only other 2 who I think could have breakout seasons. whether they will or not is another story.

Luciona will have a break out year at the Tigers.
Reece Robson to also have a breakout year at the Cows.
I think Marsters will have a breakout year at the Bunnies.
Garrick to have a breakout year for the Sea Eagles and go so well finish leading try scorer, leading point scorer and represent Australia, surely that couldn’t happen for a no good reserve grader.

SBD82

Coach
Who was the last player that we had who had a genuine breakout year, and didn’t just graduate to being a solid NRL player?

JDB? Anyone later than him?

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
Who was the last player that we had who had a genuine breakout year, and didn’t just graduate to being a solid NRL player?

Tyson?

Maybe Vaughan a couple of years back..

Mick Ennis? I know he was going okay at souffs but once he came here he was in line for Origin contention..

possm

Coach
Ford, Saab & Rav4....all for brake out year!
I agree, Ford, Saab, Ravalawa, Lomax and Kerr could all have a breakout season however, their needs to be significant changes made:
Lomax to fullback
Ravalawa to right centre
Saab to retain his left wing spot
Ford to left centre
Pereira or Pearson to right wing
Norman at five-eighth with Dufty and Sailor as backup
Hunt at halfback with Norman and Sailor as backup

Kerr and Vaughan as the starting props
McInnes and Luke in hooker rotation
Sims and Frizell as starting second rowers
De Belin as lock or recruit Fifita from the Broncos and move Frizell to lock

To me, the above run on 13 is well balanced and has the potential to improve on last seasons effort. There are plenty of options for the bench and I went for the following:

Graham if he is forced to medically retire, recruit Arrow
K Sims
Lawrie
Luke

I hope Blacker steps up in 2020 and would like to think we have enough cap left to replace Leilua with a good first grade second rower. In my opinion Leilua is a big loss.

SBD82

Coach
Ha. Ennis. I almost forget that he played for us after seeing him wear so many other jerseys over the years.

Edit. Woooooooosh

I think It’s Vaughan. I’d forgotten about him.

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
Ha. Ennis. I almost forget that he played for us after seeing him wear so many other jerseys over the years.

I think It’s Vaughan. I’d forgotten about him.
Mick Ennis = McInness..

possm

Coach
Luciona will have a break out year at the Tigers.
Reece Robson to also have a breakout year at the Cows.
I think Marsters will have a breakout year at the Bunnies.
Garrick to have a breakout year for the Sea Eagles and go so well finish leading try scorer, leading point scorer and represent Australia, surely that couldn’t happen for a no good reserve grader.
So what does this say about our pathways/recruiting/retention department?

BLM01

First Grade
So what does this say about our pathways/recruiting/retention department?
Nothing yet. None of that stuff EHD quoted has happened yet.
Garrick play for Australia. Ha...see how he goes in his 2nd year first. Not even close IMO and he had his breakout year in 2019.

Coffs dragon

Bench

Michael O'CONNOR & he then left to go to Manly and win a few premierships plus be a permanent representative player.
We certainly have history in rooted retention!

merahputih

Juniors
I believe Norman and Hunt's combination will flourish in 2020. Hunt has shown when given stability he can be among our best, we must remember 2018 was only last year during that first half of the season when he was the form half of the NRL until his family tragically suffered a miscarriage.

I'm not mentioning Mary here for the sake of negativity, but his spine strategy in 2019 was horrible and was a large part of our complete lack of flow this year. Now that our 6 and 7 is set with no doubts, they have a whole off season to pair up

Expecting good things from Sailor as well
You mentioned him!