What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Breakout year?

Slippery Morris

First Grade
Zac Lomax but only if he plays where he should and that is anywhere in the starting backline.

Tariq will be injury free and if he can return to his best he will be a huge asset.

BBTB

Juniors
I agree, Ford, Saab, Ravalawa, Lomax and Kerr could all have a breakout season however, their needs to be significant changes made:
Lomax to fullback
Ravalawa to right centre
Saab to retain his left wing spot
Ford to left centre
Pereira or Pearson to right wing
Norman at five-eighth with Dufty and Sailor as backup
Hunt at halfback with Norman and Sailor as backup

Kerr and Vaughan as the starting props
McInnes and Luke in hooker rotation
Sims and Frizell as starting second rowers
De Belin as lock or recruit Fifita from the Broncos and move Frizell to lock

To me, the above run on 13 is well balanced and has the potential to improve on last seasons effort. There are plenty of options for the bench and I went for the following:

Graham if he is forced to medically retire, recruit Arrow
K Sims
Lawrie
Luke

I hope Blacker steps up in 2020 and would like to think we have enough cap left to replace Leilua with a good first grade second rower. In my opinion Leilua is a big loss.
Recruit Kurt Capewell.

Wittenberg

Juniors
I think Zac Lomax(if he is given a real chance in one position and keeps it), just hope it's is with us.
Rav will also have a big year
Zac Lomax I certainly agree with if he is allowed to constantly play centre. Rav....meh, he needs to win a spot in first grade again before he can possibly be considered to maybe have a break out year.

BLM01

First Grade
I agree, Lomax at fullback and Ravalawa at right centre should work well.
Lomax is not a fullback. You are worse than Mary playing people out of position in 1st grade.
Rav is not a centre until he learns to at least defend on the wing first. Centre will be amplify his defensive liability or as CC put it centre in reggies 1st if he has aspirations there.

Forbes Creek Dragons

First Grade
Lomax is not a fullback. You are worse than Mary playing people out of position in 1st grade.
Rav is not a centre until he learns to at least defend on the wing first. Centre will be amplify his defensive liability or as CC put it centre in reggies 1st if he has aspirations there.
On Lomax though, if he does see himself as a fullback long term his best option is definitely to stay with us. He’s certainly not going to unseat Ponga. Our money would be at least close to the other offers but he will have a good solid chance at cementing himself at 1 and therefore dramatically increasing his value going forward. If I were his manager I’d re-sign him for 2 years, at as decent money as I could get with aim to going for a really good contract in 2023. By which stage a few clubs will probably be looking for a good 1.

BLM01

First Grade
On Lomax though, if he does see himself as a fullback long term his best option is definitely to stay with us. He’s certainly not going to unseat Ponga. Our money would be at least close to the other offers but he will have a good solid chance at cementing himself at 1 and therefore dramatically increasing his value going forward. If I were his manager I’d re-sign him for 2 years, at as decent money as I could get with aim to going for a really good contract in 2023. By which stage a few clubs will probably be looking for a good 1.
Lomax only said all that as he played a bit of fullback as a Junior and who would not want to be a fullback as part of the spine demanding big $$$$. (Latrell Mitchell case in point)
He is not a 1 as not fleet footed enough at NRL level and he knows that nor will he get near the money good fullbacks demand. He will be a good centre if not origin if he is just played and perserved there in that position and not stuffed around being everywhere but.

Reactions: jak

Dragonslayer

First Grade

Agree
And why would Lomax even consider going to the Knights? As you say Ponga is their fullback, so unless there's something going on in the background, he us their fullback, add to that they have young Star To'a who is a very good talent for fullback as well as Tex Hoy. As a centre, they have Moaga, Hunt, Best and they just recruited Tuala from the Cowboys. A move to the Knights doesn't make any sense apart from $$$ or something in the background with Ponga.

possm

Coach
Sorry but I'd say you have it all wrong. Mary is one to not recognise the strength and weakness of his players but instead with head in the sand continue to select players like Aitken and Lafai hoping for that one good game out of 10.

Lomax is a better fullback than both Dufty and Sailor. He has a larger frame, is solid in defence, can take a high ball, not easily rag dolled, has a deceptive step off both feet, a good passing game and is quicker than some on here think.

We have a vacancy at fullback and Lomax has put his hand up for selection.

Forbes Creek Dragons

First Grade
Lomax only said all that as he played a bit of fullback as a Junior and who would not want to be a fullback as part of the spine demanding big $$$$. (Latrell Mitchell case in point)
He is not a 1 as not fleet footed enough at NRL level and he knows that nor will he get near the money good fullbacks demand. He will be a good centre if not origin if he is just played and perserved there in that position and not stuffed around being everywhere but.
I’m not saying he will or won’t go well there, just that apparently he wants to play 1. It’s up to him if he makes it or not, haven’t seen enough of him to judge. He has all the attributes besides absolute blinding speed maybe. I’m just saying the Dragons is his best chance to get a good run there, if that is in fact where he sees himself. If he signs elsewhere I doubt they will play him there because much like D.Boyd who wasn’t outstanding in 2009 but Churchill medalist in 2010 it’s a bit of an investment letting him get his training wheels off there.

getsmarty

Immortal
I’m not saying he will or won’t go well there, just that apparently he wants to play 1. It’s up to him if he makes it or not, haven’t seen enough of him to judge. He has all the attributes besides absolute blinding speed maybe. I’m just saying the Dragons is his best chance to get a good run there, if that is in fact where he sees himself. If he signs elsewhere I doubt they will play him there because much like D.Boyd who wasn’t outstanding in 2009 but Churchill medalist in 2010 it’s a bit of an investment letting him get his training wheels off there.

Forbes...he is not slow...if my memory serves me correctly ran down Tedesco....

The slow theory was propagated by some on here after 2018 finals when he was recovering from hamstring ( if I remember correctly )....especially after the Kick to dufty against Broncos...which resulted in the final try..

One particular poster with a Love of aitken keeps pushing this...its a fallacy.

getsmarty

Immortal
Sorry but I'd say you have it all wrong. Mary is one to not recognise the strength and weakness of his players but instead with head in the sand continue to select players like Aitken and Lafai hoping for that one good game out of 10.

Lomax is a better fullback than both Dufty and Sailor. He has a larger frame, is solid in defence, can take a high ball, not easily rag dolled, has a deceptive step off both feet, a good passing game and is quicker than some on here think.

We have a vacancy at fullback and Lomax has put his hand up for selection.

Again all depends on McGregor...if i remember correctly stated he would be given a shot there...again its McGregor...so means little as he often changes his mind...LOL

Forbes Creek Dragons

First Grade
Forbes...he is not slow...if my memory serves me correctly ran down Tedesco....

The slow theory was propagated by some on here after 2018 finals when he was recovering from hamstring ( if I remember correctly )....especially after the Kick to dufty against Broncos...which resulted in the final try..

One particular poster with a Love of aitken keeps pushing this...its a fallacy.
Yeah I agree, he’s plenty fast enough, obviously not Dufty, or Addo Carr fast but fast enough to do the job. Teddy himself isn’t super fast either, off the mark he is though as well as when changing directions. These things matter more.