What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

1st Test: Australia v Pakistan at Gabba, Nov 21-25 2019

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
I think the scheduling really screws the crowd numbers for the Gabba test. It isn’t school holidays yet and most people are at work. There should be a decent turnout tommorow. If this was a day nighter the crowd would be much better.
I used to go ever year with a bunch of mates.

Stopped going a few years back.

We got sick of the selections so stopped caring.

undertaker

Coach
I think the scheduling really screws the crowd numbers for the Gabba test. It isn’t school holidays yet and most people are at work. There should be a decent turnout tommorow. If this was a day nighter the crowd would be much better.

When it was a day/night test last time Pakistan were in Australia in 2016, the first 3 days had crowds of 26353, 23344 and 20915 respectively. All 20k+, and the total test aggregate of 78k across the 5 days remains the highest Gabba test aggregate attendance for a non-Ashes test. Thankfully the colour pattern of the seats at the Gabba camouflages the lack of people there to an extent. If they were playing at a venue like Westpac Stadium in Wellington, those yellow seats really stand out. In fact, any stadium with all seats the same colour stands out like a wart on the end of a nose when the attendance is poor.

I'm all for day/night tests if it means getting more people through the gates, and it's good to see that India have finally started to evolve and embrace the concept. Long overdue, after they dicked the cricket world around with their refusal of DRS for nearly a decade and the whole kerfuffle they caused when they toured here last summer about their refusal to play a day/nighter at Adelaide (as well as avoiding the Gabba due to their poor record there).

But in a 2 test series where one of the tests was already planned to be a day/nighter (Adelaide), the other test should also be a day/nighter, especially if it's held outside of the school holidays. The marquee MCG (Boxing Day) and SCG (New Year's) tests should still remain day games. Besides Adelaide which has now become the traditional home of day/night tests in Australia, Brisbane/Canberra/Hobart should be the other candidates for day/night tests.

Perth has become a problematic situation since they went from playing at the 20k capacity WACA to 60k capacity Optus Stadium. Initially the 3 hour time difference made it ideal with primetime viewership in the eastern states when it was at the WACA. However, with the below average crowds the test vs India got last summer, CA felt under pressure to increase crowds this summer as 10-20k in a 60k stadium is a bad look on tv, hence why they made it a day/nighter and stuffing around the Kiwis by making the game finish at 1-1:30am New Zealand time.

Last edited:

jargan83

Coach
When it was a day/night test last time Pakistan were in Australia in 2016, the first 3 days had crowds of 26353, 23344 and 20915 respectively. All 20k+, and the total test aggregate of 78k across the 5 days remains the highest Gabba test aggregate attendance for a non-Ashes test. Thankfully the colour pattern of the seats at the Gabba camouflages the lack of people there to an extent. If they were playing at a venue like Westpac Stadium in Wellington, those yellow seats really stand out.

I'm all for day/night tests if it means getting more people through the gates, and it's good to see that India have finally started to evolve and embrace the concept. Long overdue, after they dicked the cricket world around with their refusal of DRS for nearly a decade and the whole kerfuffle they caused when they toured here last summer.

But in a 2 test series where one of the tests was already planned to be a day/nighter (Adelaide), the other test should also be a day/nighter, especially if it's held outside of the school holidays. The marquee MCG (Boxing Day) and SCG (New Year's) tests should still remain day games. Adelaide/Brisbane/Canberra/Hobart should be the candidates for day/night tests. Perth is a problematic situation since they went from the 20k capacity WACA to 60k capacity Optus Stadium. Initially the 3 hour time difference made it ideal with primetime viewership in the eastern states when it was at the WACA. However, with the below average crowds the test vs India got last summer, CA felt under pressure to increase crowds as 10-20k in a 60k stadium is a bad look on tv.

I've already seen a few news articles questioning the Gabba's place in the schedule. Good to have those articles out 12 months before India come back, because India won't want to play in Brisbane and Perth.

Heaven forbid CA actually do something to take advantage of the home field conditions and not bow down to BCCI.

simmo1

First Grade
Would really love to see Burns go on to make a big score and keep Bancroft out of the side. Burns was very unlucky to miss both the 2015 and 2019 Ashes tour squads, Bancroft is clearly a WA favourite of the coach, Harris hasn't done much to justify to his position as an opener and the selectors need to move on from Khawaja.

I'd argue he was very lucky not to be picked on those Ashes tours and avoid the Broad/Archer/Anderson treatment.

undertaker

Coach
I've already seen a few news articles questioning the Gabba's place in the schedule. Good to have those articles out 12 months before India come back, because India won't want to play in Brisbane and Perth.

Heaven forbid CA actually do something to take advantage of the home field conditions and not bow down to BCCI.

Well, the good news with India playing the day/night test vs Bangladesh later this evening is that it will put pressure on them to play one when they tour Australia next summer. Kudos to Ganguly for making it happen as before he became CEO, he had been pushing the BCCI to play them since 2016 (although they ignored him). Now that the BCCI have finally agreed to play one, they've set a precedent which will be hard for them to back out from.

Next summer, the BCCI can't have it both ways and opt to not play either a day/night test or a test match in Brisbane. CA have to put their feet down and grow a set of balls, and at the very minimum make the Adelaide test a day/nighter.

Last edited:

Bazal

Post Whore
I just saw on Cricinfo that Burns and Warner as a partnership at the top average over 50.

Now obviously that Stat is very much skewed based on more home appearances vs away... But the fact that Burns has been dropped so many times is absolutely f**king ridiculous.

Only Warner and Roger's are better since the days of Hayden/Langer I think they said

jargan83

Coach

Having all day live coverage in the city the game is being played can't help either.

undertaker

Coach
Having all day live coverage in the city the game is being played can't help either.

It has been like that in Brisbane/Melbourne/Sydney since 2005/06, and still remained that way in Adelaide/Perth/Hobart until about 2012.

Before the tv blackouts were removed, only the final session of a test match and first 2hrs of an ODI (that hadn't sold-out) were broadcast live into the home city. Although they were put in with the intention of boosting crowds in the city where the match was held, tv blackouts would never happen now that Fox/PayTV has tv rights to broadcast internationals in Australia.

Last edited:

undertaker

Coach
TV blackouts were the worst thing in cricket since the double sided bat

Agreed, but what would be equally as bad is if Fox gets exclusive rights to test matches in 2024 such as what Sky Sports did in the UK after the 2005 Ashes. Cricket Australia have shown that anti-siphoning laws mean jack crap when they were able to get all home ODI/T20Is behind the paywall last year.

Latest posts