What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours and Stuff

Hell of a lot of money for a bloke who was consistently outplayed in NSW Cup by a combination of part time footy players, Tim Mannah and David "Methuselah" Gower.

Don't get me wrong, I'm a little upset we've lost him...but the Tigers have paid overs on potential.

And I'm f**king glad we're not in that position anymore. Well, for now

And a bloke who has had injuries that have caused him to be out for extended periods.

Noise

Coach
Unless we have a 7th younger player that we think is a good chance of playing first grade I’d just keep Stefano in development roster for 2020. Play him in the 20s to bolster our pack there. Not really costing us too much and can play higher grades if we suffer a middle forward injury crisis. f**k him and f**k the Tigers.

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
I’d like to see Stone attempt to fill that role. I admittedly have no idea of his passing ability but I do think his aggression suits and he’s not the biggest bloke getting around.

Think he potentially could do it as a bench option for 20 or so mins a game (which he has done) but not sure he has the ability to be our starting hooker if Reed is injured.

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
Unless we have a 7th younger player that we think is a good chance of playing first grade I’d just keep Stefano in development roster for 2020. Play him in the 20s to bolster our pack there. Not really costing us too much and can play higher grades if we suffer a middle forward injury crisis. f**k him and f**k the Tigers.

I see you point, but he has no future here.

If we have that many injuries we have to use him, we probably can get permission to use one of our “non” contracted NSW cup players.

Can’t see any point in keeping him and it’s a waste of $60k.

That $60k is better used (if he isn’t replaced by another development player) on signing up several 16-18 years olds or even donating to the junior comp.

I am sure the whole eels operation (juniors to seniors) work to a budget and an extra $60k could be used in any where of our organisation for a better outcome than on a player that won’t be here.

Noise

Coach

If we have that many injuries we have to use him, we probably can get permission to use one of our “non” contracted NSW cup players.

That $60k is better used (if he isn’t replaced by another development player) on signing up several 16-18 years olds or even donating to the junior comp.

I am sure the whole eels operation (juniors to seniors) work to a budget and an extra $60k could be used in any where of our organisation for a better outcome than on a player that won’t be here.
We have already budgeted for his 60k. He’s better than our non contracted NSW Cup players so would make a better fill in for first grade if required. I reckon we are in a ‘win now’ phase. If Stefano provides better middle forward depth in the back half of 2020 it’s much better to spend the 60k on him than taking a gamble on a few teenagers that may or may not blossom in 4 years time.

Happy MEel

First Grade
No we signed him less than half-way through that season.
Did we?
The only info I can find indicates we signed him around the 21st June, which was between rounds 15 and 16. That’s much further into the season than “less than half-way” and he had worked his way from the bench to the starting side for 6 games before we signed him.

There are also plenty of articles stating that Manly tried to keep him but couldn’t compete with our offer. There’s no doubt he’s on a decent wicket, as he should be.

https://www.google.com.au/amp/s/amp.nine.com.au/article/05391f4f-ab3a-4aee-b3a4-c74788f5d39a

The Rosco

Bench
Cheify will know
Ryan Matterson.
No, but seriously . . . what if Stefano suddenly isn't happy at the Eels ?
Isn't in the right headspace ?
Doesn't feel appreciated ?
Wants to play 5/8 ?
Isn't seeing eye to eye with the coach ?
To be fair . . . your club seems to know all the tricks to keep spoilt little girls happy and playing well, so who knows ?

Last edited:

Avenger

Immortal
Ryan Matterson.
Wants to play 5/8 ?
To be fair . . . your club seems to know all the tricks to keep spoilt little girls happy and playing well, so who knows ?
I did hear that Stefano and his antics are similar to what Matterson was like at the Tigers. The only difference is that Matterson is a premiership winning player about to enter the prime of his career. Your guy isn’t.

Good luck.

Gronk

Staff member
I did hear that Stefano and his antics are similar to what Matterson was like at the Tigers. The only difference is that Matterson is a premiership winning player about to enter the prime of his career. Your guy isn’t.

Good luck.
Stefano isn’t the first and won’t be the last player who thinks that he was NRL ready and the club didn’t. If he lacks the patience to wait his turn, then there is only one practical solution really.

Gronk

Staff member
Ryan Matterson.
Wants to play 5/8 ?
Reading between the lines, Stefano’s Dad and Jessie Ramien’s Dad might have done their MBA’s together.

hindy111

Post Whore
How much do you think Mannah was on this year? I’m willing to bet it was plenty more that $230k so he should have outplayed a 19year old on $60,000k. Both he and Gower also have plenty more experience and maturity, with Gower not even playing in the middle so difficult to compare.

I reckon $200k is an absolute bargain for a regular bench middle in the current salary cap. I would expect/hope that the coaching staff would be able to develop him over the next 12 months to get to that point.

Look I agree. Shame we lost him.But I was also disappointed everytime I saw him play. I expected far more.

hindy111

Post Whore

Agree cut him free

hindy111

Post Whore
Ryan Matterson.
Wants to play 5/8 ?

I honestly don't see the big deal.
Tigers have had superstar players poached and had to cop it. Heck we took two of their best players in the last few years.
I wish Stefano all the best. We spent up big on Moses and Matterson which means less money in cap. What are the Tigers meant to do? They have to take risks on the best young talent around and hope it comes off. Fair game if ask me and they should look at a few other young guns coming through including D.Brown. They'd be stupid not too.
We would all be pissed if Tiger had done same to Lane and also Gutherson. If I was their CEO I would also retaliate against eels and Roosters by pinching their best young talent or making them pay overs for them.

Glenneel

Bench
Playing centre vs arm grabbers means nothing.
Just because they play union doesn't mean they can't tackle. If Semi came here where would we put him? We're already well served by 2 very good wingers and Semi has played centre (I believe). So at least he has some knowledge of the positional requirements of that position and that is where we are weakest. Blake being injury prone and MJ at end of career and his form can be very up and down. And the attacking prowess of Semi is amongst the best of any player.