What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Paul McGregor Extension

Gareth67

First Grade
Gareth
It was a junket disguised as a learning tool. You can't teach something to someone who already knows they know everything, in their own mind

Good point Sammy , that why he is the ‘ maestro ‘ . By the way , you just make damn sure that you keep a low profile during the early part of the season , just in case he decides to take someone with him if and when he gets the silver bullet ! :relaxed:

gareth learnt something from ALL 12 things he attended main thing communication and "leaving a footprint ' ..... Dont think aupercoach is the right guy to absorb any real breakthrough knowledge .. i can just imagine him coming back with showbags full of the giveaway stuff and him thinking how good is this as it goes into the otto bin

Yes you are right about that qld redvee . He just isn't quite in the same mound as a Bellamy or Bennett .

Old Kogarah Boy 1

First Grade
Good point Sammy , that why he is the ‘ maestro ‘ . By the way , you just make damn sure that you keep a low profile during the early part of the season , just in case he decides to take someone with him if and when he gets the silver bullet ! :relaxed:

Yes you are right about that qld redvee . He just isn't quite in the same mound as a Bellamy or Bennett .

Samy ............... stay well wide of any bus.

Dragonsamy

Bench

Gareth
Med staff etc some already gone, so what happens, happens.

getsmarty

Immortal
McGregor draws line through 2019 season after US trip
Author
Brad Walter NRL.com Senior Reporter
Timestamp
Fri 22 Nov 2019, 05:58 PM
walterbrad-head.png

St George Illawarra coach Paul McGregor has returned from a leadership camp in the United States determined to leave the club's disastrous 2019 season in the past and focus only on the future for the Dragons.

McGregor and team manager Ben Haran joined the AFL Coaches Association New York Leadership Immersion Program, along with the likes of West Coast Eagles director of coaching Gavin Bell, Essendon assistant coach Mark Harvey and his Carlton and Hawthorn counterparts Cameron Bruce and Adam Yze.

Others in the 15-strong group included Melbourne Storm COO Danielle Smith, who is also CEO of the club's Sunshine Coast Lightning netball franchise, AFL umpire Matt Nicol and Cotton On group executive, operations and logistics Glenn Keast.

During the week-long tour, they visited the New York Giants, Brooklyn Nets and US Tennis Association's Flushing Meadows headquarters, as well as attending NFL, NBA and NHL matches and met with representatives of the United Nations, CBS Sports, Nielson Sports and Oakley.

In an in-depth interview with NRL.com, McGregor said the focus of the tour was on leadership and they heard from speakers with successful backgrounds in business as well as sport.

Five key match-ups of the Dragons' 2020 draw

While McGregor didn't discover a "silver bullet" for turning around St George Illawarra's fortunes after finishing 15th last season, he returned to pre-season training this week determined not to dwell on it any further and only speak about what lies ahead for the Dragons.

"You concentrate on the present and don't worry about the past, so to speak. That was the big thing I took out of it," McGregor said of his study trip. "They all had stories about that kind of stuff and how they got to where they got to.

"You have got to put a line through when you stop talking about last year – and for us it has got to stop now. We are back preparing for a new year and you can't fix what happened last year. That is gone but if you keep thinking about it you can't get away from it and move forward."

"Deal with what you have got"
McGregor and Haran dined with Fox Sports NFL analyst Eric Mangini, the former Jets and Cleveland Browns head coach, who was also an assistant to Bill Belichick at New England Patriots and has worked with San Francisco 49ers.

The tour group also heard from Brooklyn Nets director of sports science Dan Meehan, deputy chief of the UN's nuclear disarmament office Chris King, CBS director of programming Ryan Triesler and Oakley vice-president Justin Andrews, as well as being guests of Australia's consul-general in New York, Alastair Walton.

In addition, they visited the New York Jets training facility and attended their match against New York Giants, as well as the Philadelphia 76ers-Cleveland Cavaliers NBA clash and an NHL game between New York Islanders and Florida Panthers.

Among the highlights for McGregor was a communications workshop in Harlem with Australian-raised Clara Pagone of New York Speech Coaching, who teaches breathing techniques as part of integrated approach to public speaking.

"The biggest thing for me was about amplifying your message through communication and connecting with people," McGregor said. "It's important that you make sure your message gets across the assets of the team and is really driving your club and your team.

"It was more of a daily education, you got new ideas and you got to meet different people every day. I don't think there is any one thing you get out of it. It was just a really good education from a business sense as well as a sporting sense.

"Most of the guys spoke about leaders leaving a footprint in every area of the building. Without interfering too much you have got to have a good feel and make sure everyone is tracking along in the right direction.

"I reckon the most important thing is you have got to deal with what you have got – not worry about what you haven't got. That's something that came up regularly in the conversations."

"Let it go and push forward"
McGregor is determined to only talk about the season ahead and not look back but he admits mistakes were made in 2019.

Before a ball was kicked the Dragons were reeling from captain Gareth Widdop's decision to return to England at the end of the season followed by sexual assault charges against Jack de Belin, who was subject to the NRL's "no fault stand down" policy and did not play a match in 2019.

The loss of Widdop for most of the season with a shoulder injury and serious injuries to Tyson Frizell (ruptured testicle), Korbin Sims (broken arm), Corey Norman (fractured cheekbone), James Graham (broken leg), Tim Lafai (ankle), Zac Lomax (broken thumb), Tariq Sims (groin) and Cameron McInnes (broken leg) took a heavy toll.

At one stage players considered boycotting a match in protest at the ban against de Belin and McGregor admits the Dragons had allowed the constant blows to derail their season.

"That was one of the lessons we learned," McGregor said. "We played the same 17 [players] for [just] two games – in round 5 and 6 – and we always had consistent change.

"Four-and-a-half of our top 10 highest paid players were injured or out throughout the year on average per game but we were always worrying about what was missing instead of getting on with what we had.

"Obviously there was a lot of conversation around Jack, there was a lot of conversation around Gareth and other players with injuries and suspensions, but at the end of the day you can't stop those things happening. You don't want them to happen, you don't need them to happen but when they do it is how you deal with it.

"The lessons we learned through that is that whatever is out of our control we have just got to let it go and push forward. We have still got to show sympathy and compassion and be there for one another but at the end of the day we have still got to move forward and there is an opportunity for someone else so let's get on with it."

"I take responsibility for 2019"
After an end-of-season review involving coaching guru Phil Gould, the Dragons have made eight changes to their off-field staff and are expected to appoint 2016 premiership-winning coach Shane Flanagan as an assistant to McGregor after his NRL suspension ends on December 19.

The NRL has imposed restrictions on Flanagan's return and he can't be considered for a head coaching job before the 2022 season.

Former Cronulla and Newcastle assistant coach James Shepherd has joined Dean Young on the coaching staff, while former Melbourne and Parramatta strength-and-conditioning coach Adrian Jimenez has overseen a start to pre-season training that players have compared to a "drill camp".

There is also a focus on mental toughness after the team fell away in a number of matches last season, with Gerard Murphy of Leadership by Design and mind and performance coach Matt Griggs having been engaged to work with St George Illawarra players next season.

"We have implemented positive change and it is only week two of the pre-season so we have got a very long journey ahead of us, but if we can keep looking ahead to what is next and stay focused on the process of now – and not the past – it will go a hell of a long way for us to get the result we require," McGregor said.

"It has got to be around our behaviours and the standards and values that we accept and don't accept in our organisation. That is what leadership is about. You don't need to have the 'c' next to your name as captain or be a coach or someone in authority to be a leader.

"You have got to be is make sure that the standards you walk past are the standards you accept and I don't think any of us did as well as we could have – me included.

"I take responsibility for the outcome of 2019. There were conversations and distractions constantly and these are things you can't be ready for, but you have got to overcome them."

"Avoiding rugby league suicide"
The Dragons have signed former New Zealand hooker Issac Luke as back-up to McInnes and he arrived in Wollongong this week on a deal worth little more than minimum wage.

McInnes was mentored by Luke at South Sydney in 2014 and 2015, and with Reece Robson moving to North Queensland in pursuit of a starting role at dummy half, he was supported the recruitment of the 32-year-old.

McGregor said the alternative was to switch halfback Ben Hunt to hooker if McInnes was injured but there were few playmakers available to cover for the Queenslander in the halves.

"You have only got a certain amount of money available in the salary cap so when you look at who is available to play No.7 or No.9, 'Bully' is by far the best buy for our club," McGregor said.

"Then aren't any sevens with the experience and capabilities that Bully has at nine so why would you move your seven to a different position and try to find someone to play seven.

"Reece Robson has gone because he got an opportunity of a lot of money on a three-year deal with the North Queensland Cowboys to be the No.1 hooker and he didn't want to stay behind Cam whereas Bully is willing to work with Cam.

"Cam is recovering from a badly broken leg and if he gets hurt again we have got an experienced guy and if they are both playing well we will fit them in together. That's all unknown but to not have anyone in that position ready to go would be committing rugby league suicide."

https://www.nrl.com/news/2019/11/22/mcgregor-draws-line-through-2019-season-after-us-trip/

getsmarty

Immortal
Paul McGregor reveals ‘different approach’ for Dragons in 2020 as Shane Flanagan prepares to join club
Dragons
john_dean.jpg

342d96cfc377cb06b8008cbcbf41189c

The Dragons will be out to greatly improve on 2019 next season.Source: Getty Images
St George Illawarra coach Paul McGregor says his side will take a “different approach” to games in 2020 following the exit of Gareth Widdop and the uncertain future of Jack de Belin.

As McGregor and his new support staff look for ways to improve on 2019’s disappointing 15th placed finish, the coach revealed the Red V’s game plan — which focused heavily on Widdop and de Belin — will change next season.

Widdop, who has jetted off to join Warrington in the Super League, was sidelined for most of 2019 following a dislocated shoulder suffered in Round 3, while de Belin remains stood down while he faces rape charges.

4f598e2d9f16329c95fb1b9bcc969210

The Dragons will have a new game plan in 2020.Source: Getty Images
“A lot of the structures we built over the last three or four years was around Gareth and around Jack,” McGregor told Sky Sports’ Big Sports Breakfast.

“Gareth’s a world class player, so it’s really important you really identify what the team needs around Gareth, so we bought Ben Hunt to really work with Gareth in that space and then we lost him.

“Jack’s really our glue in the middle, our link in our shifts. He’s our ball-playing forward. He’s an Origin forward.

“So we’re obviously going to play a way where we’re not over-relying on those two guys, which is totally different to what we worked for the past two years.

“There’s going to be a different approach to the game, and certainly defensively we really took a couple of steps backward.

“The year before we had intent, we had line speed, and we were there for one another, and I don’t think that was the case.

“We’ve got to get our ‘D’ right and we change the way we play and after six rounds, people can judge then. But we’ve got to get to those six rounds before people start judging.”

1a01cfbf5b81663531818cf4dc95b844

Dragons coach Paul McGregor.Source: Getty Images
Earlier this month, the Dragons announced eight coaching staff changes following Phil Gould’s review of the club.

While McGregor retained his job, assistants Ben Hornby and Mick Crawley departed, replaced by premiership-winning Sharks and Knights assistant coach James Shepherd.

Others changes included a new head physiotherapist, strength and conditioning coach and a “mind and performance” coach who will run meditation lessons.

McGregor said the club were also close to formally announcing the appointment of Shane Flanagan who will be tasked with improving the club’s leaky defence, alongside Dean Young.

“I interviewed 10 coaches and Shane was the most impressive in our interviews,” McGregor said.

“I think Shane is a real good fella. and I don’t know him too well, but the conversation I had I’m really looking forward to bouncing ideas off him.

“The experience he’s got is going to help. I’ve heard some different things, but what I heard from Shane was a guy that’s really missed the game and wants to get back into the game and will do anything he can for the team.

“ … If you’ve ever played Cronulla they’re ready to scrap, he gets them down and dirty. He’ll be looking after our defence with Dean, which is a really good thing.

“He’s not going to come back until January which is a little bit difficult at this stage because your in-season is made from your pre-season.

“However, he’ll get a real good eight-week block before we start playing to get down and get some skin in the game.”

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...n/news-story/6fd448e992bcac955b9be40ec6568851

we need consistent committment // Ive got good people around me ( until i throw em under the bus)// were going to look at outside backs in 2019 but went for a replacement for widdop ( but norman is a good player) // we are short on depth but we are a development club and after 30 -40 games players leave us for $$$ ( which he can live with) interviewed 10 coaches and Flanno seems like a good guy // im the coach the buck stops with me //
i wonder how long supercoach had to work on the answers to the questions.. so much spin though it was the lead up to an election
loved the reply to the dragon website ' what did you learn os -- communication /// -- pretty sure this chestnut answer was used after 2018 but i could be wrong .. Im just glad in 2029 supercoach has just realised communication is paramount -- its drummed into every workplace for at least the last 7 years and yet we have just discovered it !!!!!!!!!!!!
enjoy the weekend guys
I just read the Foxsports interview and I am still shaking my head in disbelief.
"We have to fix our D...." oh really??
"Flanno and Young will work on that in 2020."
If it fails he has the perfect excuse.
Keeps talking about 2018.
"Widdop world class and had to build structures around him...."
"JDB was the glue in the middle"
It makes me nauseous to listen to this jibberish.
There is not one club in the NRL that has not had injuries to key players.
Professional coaches just buck up and get on with it.
Bellamy lost both Cronk and Slater and still made a GF and Preliminary final without those all time greats.
Bennet lost Sam and George Burgess for extended periods in 2019 and still made a fist of a premiership challenge.
McGregor needs to stop pulling everyone's chain and go back to the coalfields and peddle his brand of coaching philosophy in the bush.

BLM01

First Grade
Where do you start with those interviews....golly gosh
Basically has learned nothing cause he is just rehashing and rephrasing same reasoning as he has done since the back end failure of 2015. with another mass cleanout of support staff.
He now tells that that his US visit has taught him to not dwell on the past and focus on the future and communicate your message clearly. OPINOF
Where have I had all that before in end of season reviews but just now uses philosophies and different phrases worded by others...all means the same thing
You admit you continued working towards structures and game plans revolving around 2 players that would not be there. JDB you knew before January and Widdop was departing anyway regardless of injury and you bought Norman...who you wanted but now say he was not what you wanted to get last year but you were forced into a corner.
You Stupid Stupid Coach....and all the stuff you whinge about happened in 2019 you cant change now.
Well in 2019 you were the man they all looked to to get all those things more right than wrong and you failed.........AGAIN
Yes you need to take responsibility for what happened but more than what you and the selected media you choose to talk to, will admit to.
And us supporters are now supposed to feel good as Laurie reckons you have that steely glare back in your eye and that our 2nd or 3rd off season drill camp will make everything right from now on
...What are you playing again?
Feel sorry for him and the pressure you put him under but Isaac Luke best buy for our club?
Footprint in all areas of the building....amplify your message through communication and connecting.......ppfffttt...please...enough.... I cant take it anymore

Crush

Coach
When I look at Mcgregor's head I feel angry, when he speaks I feel embarrassed. He has got to be one of the worst public speakers I have seen. His grammar is poor. He doesn't deliver his message clearly. He seems uneducated.
If he comes across this way to me how does he inspire a team playing elite level sport?
2021 cannot come quick enough.

SEAT 1A

Bench
When I look at Mcgregor's head I feel angry, when he speaks I feel embarrassed. He has got to be one of the worst public speakers I have seen. His grammar is poor. He doesn't deliver his message clearly. He seems uneducated.
If he comes across this way to me how does he inspire a team playing elite level sport?
2021 cannot come quick enough.

No anger however, you took the words out of my mouth Crush.

I truly feel for the players in this environment as they have to work with and follow his instructions which we all saw this year. It summed up Mary's character on the field.

It's three monkeys from management. I can't believe they allow Mary to be the mouth piece so to speak for the club.

Latest posts