What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

24 Hour NRL channel

Lambretta

First Grade
The bloke who filmed that looks and sounds like the biggest f**kwit ever.

Hope people recognise him and tell him to pull his head in.

Go up to any other civilian 20 something year old and film yourself telling them how to gamble your pokie winnings and you will probably get a punch in the face.

Since becoming a member of a Roosters supporters group of a social media channel, I have decided that some of our fans are among the most annoying, thick, drop kicks I have ever had the misfortune of encountering

I don't know if I will be happier if I find this is common across the board or if its just Roosters fans.....

Lambretta

First Grade
Agreed on the general support for the old games, it does soften the blow of the off-season.

But again, Fox League Channel (we know you read this), why do you never show any games from the Super League season (1997)????

It wasn't the proper comp :stuck_out_tongue:

But yeah, why don't they?
I'd love to watch the Hunter Mariners vs the Adelaide Rams in front of 3,000 fans

Headless Chook

Juniors
Agreed on the general support for the old games, it does soften the blow of the off-season.

But again, Fox League Channel (we know you read this), why do you never show any games from the Super League season (1997)????
It wasn't the proper comp :stuck_out_tongue:

But yeah, why don't they?
I'd love to watch the Hunter Mariners vs the Adelaide Rams in front of 3,000 fans
Very much like “whatever you do, just don’t mention the war”. Best forgotten and never to be spoken of again.

PARRA_FAN

Coach
Pfftt no-one wants to go there.

I think from memory they showed a snippet a SL game back in the early 2000s. Mightve been Sharks vs Warriors or someone and it was basically a 5 min highlights and had some guy narrate the game. Not sure what the reason for it was, probably milestone or debut, but thats the only time I think they showed a SL game post 1998.

Headless Chook

Juniors
It was the first season I paid attention to and its like it never happened
SL was heavily promoted at the time promising that every game would be like State of Origin. For the 100 odd games played Fox does’t show any of them. Wonder why?

I’d be mildly interested in finding out what all the fuss was about seeing as I never watched one minute of SL in ‘97.

Lambretta

First Grade
SL was heavily promoted at the time promising that every game would be like State of Origin. For the 100 odd games played Fox does’t show any of them. Wonder why?

I’d be mildly interested in finding out what all the fuss was about seeing as I never watched one minute of SL in ‘97.

I watched whatever I could, but as I didn't have Fox my SL viewing was limited.

I watched the World Club Challenge which was put out as a lowlights package on the ABC from memory.

Not sure if SL highlights were on ABC too?? If they were I definitely would have watched.

My memories of the 90s are seriously sketchy for some reason. Urm.

roofromoz

First Grade
I watched whatever I could, but as I didn't have Fox my SL viewing was limited.

I watched the World Club Challenge which was put out as a lowlights package on the ABC from memory.

Not sure if SL highlights were on ABC too?? If they were I definitely would have watched.

My memories of the 90s are seriously sketchy for some reason. Urm.

The one thing I remember about Super League on the ABC was that they used 'Breathe' by Prodigy as the opener.

FWIW the Panthers essential box set released a few years ago does have two matches from 1997 and I would imagine other teams would have matches from that year too.

T-Boon

Coach
They should probably do a tele movie about super league. It was the most interesting thing to have happened in RL/Australian sport in 40 years.

mozza91

Coach
They should probably do a tele movie about super league. It was the most interesting thing to have happened in RL/Australian sport in 40 years.
Absolutely. I’m too young to remember any of it but I’m fascinated by it. Have read several books and have devoured the Rugby League Digest’s podcasts on it.

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
Roy Masters made a lengthy documentary about it, but it has never seen the light of day.

It was produced by Cobbstar productions

I contacted them 6 months ago and still haven't received a reply.

T-Boon

Coach
Roy Masters made a lengthy documentary about it, but it has never seen the light of day.

It was produced by Cobbstar productions

I contacted them 6 months ago and still haven't received a reply.

People would watch a telemovie. They should do it now. They did that one on world series cricket about 15 or 20 years too late.

Perth Red

Post Whore

haha it would either be so watered down it would be pointless or the station would be hit with all sorts of law suits. There are many versions of the truth in something g like this and no one would come out of it looking good.

Generalzod

Immortal
People would watch a telemovie. They should do it now. They did that one on world series cricket about 15 or 20 years too late.
After the success of Howzat Packers war, It was on the drawing board to do a show about the Rugby League war, don't know what happened to it.

Last edited:

VictoryFC

Bench
I would watch a Super League movie just to see who they cast as Fatty Vautin and Piers Ackerman.

Carrot Top 100%.

320.jpg

T-Boon

Coach
Watching those 1980s state of origins on Fox it is easy to see why the game is so popular with people aged 40 and above. So unpredictable and skilful. Watching the 1987 game they had on yesterday I am sure they must have been playing under a rule that the attacking team had to be back 5 metres from the ruck when the ball is played.
The game was brilliant then and is totally living off of that now.
RL has been garbage for at least 20 years and it is because of over coaching.