What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Valentine Holmes NFL career

Generalzod

Immortal
I don’t begrudge the bloke he played for Australia a State of Origin Winner, Premiership winner, I wanted him to stay at the Sharks but unfortunately with salary cap we can’t keep all the players unless your the Melbourne Storm.

GongPanther

Referee
Just shut the f**k up idiot.

You know shyte about the NFL.

When players get injured NFL teams do sign up practise squad players to play. And they PLAY!

Val if he doesn’t make the 53 man squad will be on the practise squad and because he is on the International program he won’t be allowed to play because he is an extra to the usual practise squad.

But he’ll make the roster and a lot of jealous farkers here will be made to eat shyte.
I know quite a bit about the NFL. Granted, my memory was very lax on the practice squad ( I prefer to memorize than Google-ise). But like I mentioned in August, he'll be back with the Cows depending if they can fit him under the cap.

But no matter how one sees this charade, he wasn't going to play in the NFL...at all.

Perth Red

Post Whore
So whats his bets position? Presumably Cows see him as a star fullback given that size of contract.

AJB1102

First Grade
Just appalling that the Jets wouldn't allow Holmes to travel with the squad for away games.

With the size of an NFL playing squad plus the dozens of coaches, medicos and analysts I'd say the plane would be pretty full.

Interesting he said he always attended home games though and said in the same situation he'd never bother doing that in NRL.

So whats his bets position? Presumably Cows see him as a star fullback given that size of contract.

Before he left he was a very good finisher and kick returner as a winger. He racked up some very good stats in his final year playing mostly fullback (scored more than his 2016 premiership year on the wing).

I think some/most of his rep achievements are incredible but require context. Context like he played outside Smith, Cronk, JT and Inglis - Darius Boyd holds most Origin tries having played out them for a long time. Boyd was never as athletically gifted. Not saying it's easy or anything but even Sailor coulda bagged more than 2 outside that lot.

Val's RLWC try scoring dominance was also on the end of all that brilliance and more. 5 against Samoa and 6 against Fiji - well done, record stuff, but c'mon lets not get too carried away pummeling minnows by finishing the same set play.

There is no way that:

a) Val signed for a wing spot
b) Cows aren't silly enough to pay $800k-$1m for a winger for 6 years. He might start there depending on his ability to readapt from short burst power running to 80 mins at fullback but he's undeniably seen as their long term fullback.

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
Val's NFL career.

4 pre season games playing the incorrect position for a terrible side.

With Val probably playing fullback I find North Queensland a weaker team and less of a threat.

No kicking game, very far from a natural ball player, very far from effectivley running the defence from the back.

Fantastic evasive ball runner, great natural ball catcher.

He won't make fullback for QLD or Aus, but will retain his wing spot and be excellent there.

I would pay Semi $1 million to play wing, but only him.

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
There are lots of possibilities.

What's your odds Holmes won't play fullback for QLD, Mr A?
2/1

If Ponga is injuried every chance, if not he will play his best position, in which he only has peers.

There are better fullbacks.

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
Na the bet would be if Val is picked over Ponga.

Mal prefered Val to Dugan @ 1.

Val is no Teddy.