What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured and Confirmed signings - Part 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

betcats

Referee
Decent signing, could possibly be a Tyrone May replacement as well.

11. Kikau
12. Capewell
13. Yeo

Is what I'd go with for the back row as it stands. Martin/Burns on the bench with JFH/Tamou/Leinu/Leota our prop rotation.

Yep. Ellis and Heathro providing depth for the middle...Jed and Burns for the edge. We are looking pretty good pre injury imo.

Jfh is an elite forward now, so is Kikau. Tamou, Yeo, Leota are a above average rotation forwards and the young guys like Martin, Leniu and Burns are high potential guys who have debuted and should be in the frame for a long time.

Fangs

Coach
How would you handle the interchange?

Can't say until I see how fit the team is. They were a rabble early 2019 and we never recovered and that is on Dave's Mate. Hopefully he has learnt from his mistakes.

If they were first grade fit then you'd give Kikau/JFH big minutes (60+) as our two best forwards. Rotate the rest as needed.

mxlegend99

Referee
Then either Martin or Burns is in reserve grade. Likely Burns.
This had better not happen. I think both can have breakout seasons. Martin kinda already did. But I think is ready to nail a starting spot in 2020.

While Burns looks like a good old fashiined natural. Seeing these guys develop is one of the few bright spots for 2020 IMO.

If Burns does it at centre though I am happy. As long as he is playing NRL.

Another one who has been bagging the club for lack of signings whinging like a stuck pig because we signed a good player.

So far we have brought in Api and Capewell. That is two good additions IMO and no reason to complain.

I was clearly being hyperbolic when I said I was dying for a signing, it didn’t mean I wanted just any signing.

Capewell is a decent player, but he doesn’t address our major needs. Sorry but that’s the reality.

Our backline is close to the worst in the comp, other than To’o it’s very uninspiring. Where are our points coming from? We’re a team that struggled to score and we haven’t addressed that issue in our backs. Capewell is having very little impact in that area.

Classic Ivan Cleary move.

Even if you think we have bigger needs in the middle or the backs how can anyone say he is a bad signing? Capewell is a quality player entering his prime who strengthens the side. We may have a number of back rowers but a number of them also can play quite well in the middle.

Because a bad signing isn’t necessarily dependent on the quality of the player, team needs are an important factor.

In and of himself he’s a decent signing, but when considering overall needs it’s not great.

betcats

Referee
Ramien & Curtis Scott.

But the point is we now likely don’t have the money to make a play for a decent centre.

These guys signed before Capewell, signing Capewell hasn’t prevented us from signing them. Maybe we tried to sign them and did like the price. Maybe they have a plan for the backs that doesn’t involve a signing. I mean FMD some of you are very hard to please.

betcats

Referee
Because a bad signing isn’t necessarily dependent on the quality of the player, team needs are an important factor.

In and of himself he’s a decent signing, but when considering overall needs it’s not great.

And maybe the coaching staff have a better idea about what the team needs then you do, have you considered that?

These guys signed before Capewell, signing Capewell hasn’t prevented us from signing them. Maybe we tried to sign them and did like the price. Maybe they have a plan for the backs that doesn’t involve a signing. I mean FMD some of you are very hard to please.

I was asked which ones we’ve missed out on. Past tense. I answered.

Flashstep

Juniors
I was clearly being hyperbolic when I said I was dying for a signing, it didn’t mean I wanted just any signing.

Capewell is a decent player, but he doesn’t address our major needs. Sorry but that’s the reality.

Our backline is close to the worst in the comp, other than To’o it’s very uninspiring. Where are our points coming from? We’re a team that struggled to score and we haven’t addressed that issue in our backs. Capewell is having very little impact in that area.

A 2nd rower that runs good lines is much more effective in attack then 99% of centres these days, plus we also have Naden who will be a good attacking outlet.

Its also good that we now have a hooker who has good service and can keep the tempo up in attack.

Attack these days isn’t just pass the ball to your best player and hope he does something, it doesn’t work in today’s game where defence is at such a high level. Yes our backline has issues but I think we’re already a stronger overall team.

TheFrog

Coach

It took an awful lot to go wrong for us to miss the finals by a single point.

A 2nd rower that runs good lines is much more effective in attack then 99% of centres these days, plus we also have Naden who will be a good attacking outlet.

Its also good that we now have a hooker who has good service and can keep the tempo up in attack.

Attack these days isn’t just pass the ball to your best player and hope he does something, it doesn’t work in today’s game where defence is at such a high level. Yes our backline has issues but I think we’re already a stronger overall team.

A lot of good points, but the issue is we don’t have an attacking minded coach. I understand Barrett has been brought in for that, but I’m a touch skeptical given his record. In the absence of an attacking minded coach, we need some firepower.

Status
Not open for further replies.