What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured and Confirmed signings - Part 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

OldPanther

Coach
Depends who is centre in FG really.

This would be my NRL backline:

Edwards
Naden
Luai/Burton
Burns
To'o

Leaves NSW Cup of:

Aekins
Mansour
Whare
Crichton
MWZ

That stacks up against most NSW Cup backlines. Throw in Jed too and there is options and hopefully there is another Centre coming from elsewhere

That's pretty inexperienced which I thought was your issue. That's a total of less than 5 games of centre experience and you've got a second rower out of position at centre.

Our centre options -

Whare - offers very little in attack, defence isn’t as good as it once was either. Little pace.

Naden - Very good on kick chase. Poor passer to outside man, poor defender. More of a winger.

Luai - A half who has played hardly any centre. Poor defender

Burns - A second rower who we’ve seen play one game at centre. Can’t say much about this option

Chricton - The one young guy whose played a lot of centre in the juniors

Burton - Good pace, but has he ever even played in the centres?

Sorry, but these options aren’t good. I think people are deluding themselves here. Maybe one or two of these guys will be good in time, but not right now.

I mean 4 of them are really shoehorned into the position.

franklin2323

Immortal
That's pretty inexperienced which I thought was your issue. That's a total of less than 5 games of centre experience and you've got a second rower out of position at centre.

We have experienced backs though. Should the kids fail we have Mansour and Whare in waiting,, As we now have Capewell should Martin etc need time

The yak

Juniors
Our centre options -

Whare - offers very little in attack, defence isn’t as good as it once was either. Little pace.

Naden - Very good on kick chase. Poor passer to outside man, poor defender. More of a winger.

Luai - A half who has played hardly any centre. Poor defender

Burns - A second rower who we’ve seen play one game at centre. Can’t say much about this option

Chricton - The one young guy whose played a lot of centre in the juniors

Burton - Good pace, but has he ever even played in the centres?

Sorry, but these options aren’t good. I think people are deluding themselves here. Maybe one or two of these guys will be good in time, but not right now.

I mean 4 of them are really shoehorned into the position.

If we don't sign a centre I wouldn't be surprised if Cleary bunged Capewell there.

The yak

Juniors
Shame you let one go in Sivo. But it happens. Parra have had there jnr stock raided by Tigers and Dogs the last 4 week. Lost one of there most promising props.And D.Brown is now testing market.
I reckon NRL should control all jnrs and bring in a draft.

Should be greater rewards for clubs that develop juniors from Harold Matthews to FG.
Too much of clubs like ours and yours doing all the hard work developing them only for other vultures to swoop later on.

franklin2323

Immortal
on the one hand you were concerned about the lack of experience of second rowers *coming off the bench*, on the other you’d be prepared to start two centres that have played the sum total of 2 games in that position. Surely you see the contradiction there?

Okay, you think we need an extra playmaker. Then you sure as hell cant play Burns in the centres too. It contradicts your whole point about experience. Fact is our centre options are poor.

The issue was only having inexperience. We have experienced outside backs if we need it. Burns would be left centre to take focus off Kikau hopefully freeing up him to offload. Right centre would be next to the 5/8th and they can just slide down one. We now have the option to put an experienced Yeo or Capewell next to them depending on if JFH goes too lock.

hindy111

Post Whore
Should be greater rewards for clubs that develop juniors from Harold Matthews to FG.
Too much of clubs like ours and yours doing all the hard work developing them only for other vultures to swoop later on.

It's hard. Panthers seem to keep them but at times I think end up paying overs for it.
While Parra just don't seem to bother matching the big money and just let then go. Stefabo to the tigers on over 800k for 3yrs and yet to play NRL.What do you do? Taking risks on rookies can cripple your cap.

franklin2323

Immortal
God I hope we don't start the season with rookie five eight with one FG game and a rookie second rower with 2 games, as our starting centres. Luai has a good passing game, so I don't see why he can't get the ball out wide to a centre, he just needs to reign in how many times he steps in field.

Naden and Crichton are tall, athletic and good under the high ball, so if we don't sign another centre I think they are fine to start the season with. I'm sure if the club view Naden as a centre long term, they are working with him in the preseason on his defence and passing.

And Whare looks like he has returned to preseason fit and fired up, so hopefully can get back to some old form and fight it out with Naden and Crichton for a starting spot. He will be solid back up for injury in any case.

I have no doubt Whare/Naden will be the centres to start the year. Just not what I would do

The issue was only having inexperience. We have experienced outside backs if we need it. Burns would be left centre to take focus off Kikau hopefully freeing up him to offload. Right centre would be next to the 5/8th and they can just slide down one. We now have the option to put an experienced Yeo or Capewell next to them depending on if JFH goes too lock.

No, you said if one of our experienced second rowers got an HIA early in the game, then it’d be a risk to have to play an inexperienced second rower for big minutes.

Come on, Franklin. You’ve totally contradicted yourself with wanting to play two guys in the centres that have basically never played the position.

MrBlack

Juniors
Thats right, 11 man teams are the future, (NO CENTRES) i reckon it would open the field up heaps, it would be like the nines, but with props, add a bonus square underneath the crossbar, Rugby league for the masses, and all the centres that are left can play for the expansion teams in perth WESTERN CENTRE'S, and South Queensland CENTRE'S

Could still have 13 players but with 4 back rowers. Scrums could be like rugby ones.

The yak

Juniors
It's hard. Panthers seem to keep them but at times I think end up paying overs for it.
While Parra just don't seem to bother matching the big money and just let then go. Stefabo to the tigers on over 800k for 3yrs and yet to play NRL.What do you do? Taking risks on rookies can cripple your cap.

They can.
I remember Harry Siejka coming through as the 'next Greg Alexander" Mick Leary was begging other clubs to back off so we could keep him. In 2008 he re-signed with us on a $75,000 three-year deal, a then record for a 16-year-old.
We probably back then paid overs to keep him and he didn't live up to his hype.
Some you win some you lose.

franklin2323

Immortal
No, you said if one of our experienced second rowers got an HIA early in the game, then it’d be a risk to have to play an inexperienced second rower for big minutes.

Come on, Franklin. You’ve totally contradicted yourself with wanting to play two guys in the centres that have basically never played the position.

The edges was the concern... They aren't now with Tetavano and Capewell.

The issue was having one side of say Burns/Luai/Naden that side would be torn apart out wide. The edges are much more stable now which allows the centres more flexibilty instead of just Whare getting a spot to fix that up

ACTPanthers

Bench
Shut up, and grow up, this forum is talking about our teams and the players that play for them, you want to throw accusations at me, coz i sounded like a pro violence against women activist!
Take your bullsheet and feed it somewhere else, fkn keyboard warrior!
Ha ha ha ha ha have a cry mate - You literally told us to "fuc up" because he's apparently paid for it. fkn keyboard warrior! (Also, this coming from the bloke who loses his shit almost every time hindy posts in our forum is just f**king gold)

Yeah, and I'm talking about our team and (possible) players as well. I took exception to your assertion that we should forget about his past indiscretions because "he's good at footy", as if this is the only thing anyone should think about when it comes to this signing. He's a f**king grub of a human being... end of story. Some of you are willing to look past this, because, as it's been stated on many occasions, he's talented. But my opinion, and I share it here as does everyone else, is that I don't want the merkin on the team I support. Now, I know I have absolutely no impact on this, and I'm a very small fish in an extremely big pond, but what I've taken insult to is being told to shut up about his past because he's a good player and that's all that matters... Maybe to you, but not to me. We can agree to disagree, that's fine, but if you state that I cannot hold that opinion, because of your own opinion, I'm going to respond.

Also, I will admit I misinterpreted the original post I quoted of yours, but I'm also referencing an earlier post that wasn't quoted.

God I hope we don't start the season with rookie five eight with one FG game and a rookie second rower with 2 games, as our starting centres. Luai has a good passing game, so I don't see why he can't get the ball out wide to a centre, he just needs to reign in how many times he steps in field.

Naden and Crichton are tall, athletic and good under the high ball, so if we don't sign another centre I think they are fine to start the season with. I'm sure if the club view Naden as a centre long term, they are working with him in the preseason on his defence and passing.

And Whare looks like he has returned to preseason fit and fired up, so hopefully can get back to some old form and fight it out with Naden and Crichton for a starting spot. He will be solid back up for injury in any case.

Problem with Whare is he hasn’t been good for years now, injuries crippled him. If it was just a bad 2019 I’d be hopeful he could return to his best but it’s much more than that.

BossleyPanther

Juniors
Depends who is centre in FG really.

This would be my NRL backline:

Edwards
Naden
Luai/Burton
Burns
To'o

Leaves NSW Cup of:

Aekins
Mansour
Whare
Crichton
MWZ

That stacks up against most NSW Cup backlines. Throw in Jed too and there is options and hopefully there is another Centre coming from elsewhere
Wouldn't mind this

Edwards
Naden
Luai
Capewell
To'o
Burton
Cleary
Tamou
Korisou
Fisher-Harris
Kikau
Martin
Yeo

Kenny
Leota

The edges was the concern... They aren't now with Tetavano and Capewell.

The issue was having one side of say Burns/Luai/Naden that side would be torn apart out wide. The edges are much more stable now which allows the centres more flexibilty instead of just Whare getting a spot to fix that up

Centre is a very important defensive position, having two guys who’ve never really played the position before could be crippling for the team. So many players are exposed there because you need to make the right call in open space.

And Luai is a poor one on one defender already, adding the decision making to it would be a recipe for disaster.

Plus the whole point of buying a centre is so we don’t have to have Luai or another makeshift player there, so your point about a side of Burns/Luai/Naden is irrelevant.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts