What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours (signings, sackings & other NRL stuff)

super_coach

First Grade
I think Latrell and his management decided to test his market value expecting plenty of interest from all over the place, than the Chooks said we don’t want you and the Tigers and to a lesser extent the Cows were the only clubs interested. So he has been delaying and delaying praying a high profile club might throw their hat in the window. In comes Souths at the death and saves him from trying to grovel back to the Chooks or sign for us.

Certainly not the end of the world, but it must be a worry we can’t seem to attract top quality to our club. Anyway it’s not over to the fat lady sings but I think she maybe about to burst out in song

Phil Gould

Juniors
I think Latrell and his management decided to test his market value expecting plenty of interest from all over the place, than the Chooks said we don’t want you and the Tigers and to a lesser extent the Cows were the only clubs interested. So he has been delaying and delaying praying a high profile club might throw their hat in the window. In comes Souths at the death and saves him from trying to grovel back to the Chooks or sign for us.

Certainly not the end of the world, but it must be a worry we can’t seem to attract top quality to our club. Anyway it’s not over to the fat lady sings but I think she maybe about to burst out in song
We should put out feelers out for another $m man immediately...See how fast Mitchell comes running then ...He knows we are the only club that has what he wants...come to papa

Two great points of view. Who to chase to put the ball back in LM’s court? Semi? I think I’d take Semi at his best over Latrell. I like Thomson at FB anyway, despite being a bit small, he carves them up.

Last edited:

gordynz

Juniors
The longer this drags out the more likely he doesn't join us. I understand the offer has already been tabled and at $1million per season why would he possibly want to dick us around unless he was waiting for a similar offer from a stronger club.

Tcoggs

Juniors
The longer this drags out the more likely he doesn't join us. I understand the offer has already been tabled and at $1million per season why would he possibly want to dick us around unless he was waiting for a similar offer from a stronger club.

The longer this goes on the less i want him at Wests Tigers
Horizontal or vertical,or whatever he calls himself, is only after the highest bidder.....

Hoofhearted

Juniors
I think the situation with Latrell is either:
  • He has already signed and they are tying up all the loose ends before announcing, possibly waiting on him to return from holidays to organise a press conference.
  • He is still looking at options which means he's not coming here, if you get offered $1M a year for 4 years and you still need to look at other options means you really don't want to go there.

Hoofhearted

Juniors
At this rate we will be playing $1.5M under the cap next year, the pickings are getting slimmer.

Panthers pack grows with premiership prop Zane Tetevano joining club

Just a day after securing back-rower Kurt Capewell, Penrith have landed the prized signature of a premiership-winning Sydney Roosters prop to replace Reagan Campbell-Gillard

Vozzy

Juniors
The only thing that wouldn't worry me about missing out on Latrell as the media storm he would bring with him. But a guy like Arrow would be great for our pack and would help our forwards just as much as Latrell the backs without the media storm.

The only reason Latrell was thinking of Cowboys/titans is because he doesn't want to be part of the sydney media bubble that's what I see in the delay.

The longer it goes on the less I want him because I would rather someone who is ready to train with the team now not in a months time.

I have seen on the other forum people saying why don't the tigers come out and make a statement. Well they can't when he is still under contract with the Roosters.

The only thing I'm angry with is we let matterson just do what he wants without having some big name ready to announce. The Roosters are probably going to play hardball here because they are putting the club higher than the player.

Last edited:

Vic Mackey

Referee
At this rate we will be playing $1.5M under the cap next year, the pickings are getting slimmer.

Panthers pack grows with premiership prop Zane Tetevano joining club

Just a day after securing back-rower Kurt Capewell, Penrith have landed the prized signature of a premiership-winning Sydney Roosters prop to replace Reagan Campbell-Gillard

I honestly don’t think either player would added much to our team.

super_coach

First Grade
I wonder what plan B is? Write off another year, upgrade a few kids on one year deals to fill up the empty spots and than go through all this again next year only to be bait for another club.

At present things look bleak for 2020, our signings are a few kids for the lower grades for development, a bloke in his mid 20s who has played 1 NRL game and another guy who is in rehab from a ACL with 13 NRL games under his belt.

Sadly even a players like Moylan or Dugan would knock us back

Das Hassler

Bench
The thing that's been mentioned ( Re. Latrell) about how Townsville would be an attractive destination for some peace and quiet....well not necessarily. .it's a League town and he'd still be bugged everywhere he went as EVERYONE will know him. ..it should be pointed out to him that his absolute best bet for somw real privacy is hands down Wests Tigers!....he could buy himself something in Balmain and guaranteed he'd be able to walk the length of Darling St from the wharf to at least Nelson St without being recognized by ANYONE!....he'd even be hardpressed to find a pub with the league on the TV ..he'd be bothered more in Adelaide...how good would that be!

Tigerm

First Grade
https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...s/news-story/0ca7394fa90148571f04b598f6e7b2ba

Jai Arrow’s contract is the NRL’s most significant bargaining chip. That includes Latrell Mitchell

Here’s how it’s gone so far. Brodie Croft has moved from the Storm to the Broncos, Curtis Scott is about to go from the Storm to the Raiders, Dylan Brown is preparing to test his value on the open market and where Latrell Mitchell ends up is anyone’s guess.
Tigers, Titans, Cowboys, the only certainty is Mitchell won’t be at back-to-back premiers the Sydney Roosters.

Or if he is he’ll be shaking hands with North Sydney Bears reserve grade coach Jason Taylor.

Why Arrow has now become even more of a key signature is because of the Gold Coast Titans sudden interest in luring Mitchell to south east Queensland.

Stay with us here. The Titans gave Arrow permission to test his value on the open market prior to November 1 in the hope of allowing rival clubs to crunch their numbers, submit their bids and try and get the whole process wrapped up well before Christmas.

Of course, the Gold Coast want to keep Arrow.

They’ve tabled him a three-year extension worth north of $1.8 million until the end of 2023 and hope to have an answer by the end of next week.

Meanwhile, South Sydney were quick to jump straight up out of their chair with a big offer and have been working on selling Arrow the Redfern pipedream ever since.

The opportunity to play and learn under super coach Wayne Bennett still holds enormous cut through.

Now as recent events would have it, if Arrow opts to take up the South Sydney offer for 2021 all of a sudden the Titans may reconsider letting him go a year early.

This was considered an absolute no-no only 48 hours ago.

And if the Gold Coast were to let Arrow shift to Redfern effective immediately for 2020, come on down Latrell Mitchell.

Mal Meninga is suddenly holding a different pair of Aces.

Funny game, rugby league.

None of this would have been possible had the Sydney Roosters not pulled a $1.6 million two-year extension to Mitchell on Melbourne Cup day.

Make no mistake, Arrow is an absolute priority signing for the Titans, similar to young gun AJ Brimson who recommitted to the club on Monday.

If Arrow opts to stay put at the Titans, then the only way the Gold Coast could pursue Mitchell for next season is by trying to take an axe to the rest of their roster.

And that takes time. Which Mitchell still has about another five weeks of given he’s not due back at training until early January.

But the Titans don’t have given they’ve been trying to shop half a dozen players since August to no avail.

It’s a different story in 2021 when they’ve got 14 of their NRL squad off-contract and they’ll be cashed-up with an open cheque book.

Kangaroos centre Mitchell doesn’t seem like he’s in any great rush. Even if the Wests Tigers and the Sydney Roosters would like an answer yesterday.

The Tigers have been asked at what point do they pull their offer off the table.

Surely the club can’t just let it sit idle in the wind for weeks on end?

One view is there’s nothing to be gained by trying to put a gun to someone’s head.

The other is this is the business of professional sport and time equates to money.

The clock is ticking. Trouble is Latrell doesn’t seem to want to hear it.