What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured and Confirmed signings - Part 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

betcats

Referee
As I say, go forward wasn’t an issue. We spent heaps of time camped in the final 20m, executing was the problem.

Ideally we needed a back who could create their own try, but admittedly they’re rare.

We were outside the top ten for ARM and PCT metres this season. around 10th and 11th off the top of my head.

Crashtest

Juniors
And fix the hooker issues

Yeah, definitely. Some on here were saying the club wouldn't attract any players with Ivan as coach and no Phil Gould.

But I've been really impressed by the way Ivan, Brandy and Cameron gone about recruiting. They haven't rushed out to make signings, and haven't had to pay overs to attract players to the club.

They obviously had a plan for the positions they wanted to strengthen, which was hooker, prop, second row and centre. They managed to sign the best hooker available despite several clubs chasing Api for longer.

And as their other original targets JWH, Glenn, and Walker ended staying with their current club, they have now managed to sign the best prop and second rower from the unsigned player list, despite other clubs also chasing both players.

Now if the right centre becomes available at the right price, its an even better recruitment drive.

We were outside the top ten for ARM and PCT metres this season. around 10th and 11th off the top of my head.

Fair enough, but as you like to point out stats don’t always tell the full story.

For instance Ivan likes to play tight up the middle of the field and not spread the ball as much, that’s going to mean less running overall for the team.

Another stat showed we spent more time in the final 20m than any other team. We had the lowest points per tackle in the final 20.

Aliceinwonderland

First Grade
Fair enough, but as you like to point out stats don’t always tell the full story.

For instance Ivan likes to play tight up the middle of the field and not spread the ball as much, that’s going to mean less running overall for the team.

Another stat showed we spent more time in the final 20m than any other team. We had the lowest points per tackle in the final 20.

perhaps this is why Api was brought in along with Barrett to help fix these issues. In 2014 there weren't issues in scoring points. (I know players have changed) but that shows that Trent and Ivan can and will work well together. They know this was an issue for 2019 and I believe 2020 will be much better.

hindy111

Post Whore
I DON"T like the idea of a draft. WE spend about $2.5M per year on our juniors. I f we have a draft this would allow other clubs who spend little on their juniors to cherrypick the best kids. If we have to have a draft we should be allowed ( as was previously mooted) to keep the best 6 or so juniors each year. Any club that drafts a player from another area should pay compensation to either the club or junior club the payer comes from.

No. I mean NRL would own all juniors.
They would have no links to club.

franklin2323

Immortal
Yeah, definitely. Some on here were saying the club wouldn't attract any players with Ivan as coach and no Phil Gould.

But I've been really impressed by the way Ivan, Brandy and Cameron gone about recruiting. They haven't rushed out to make signings, and haven't had to pay overs to attract players to the club.

They obviously had a plan for the positions they wanted to strengthen, which was hooker, prop, second row and centre. They managed to sign the best hooker available despite several clubs chasing Api for longer.

And as their other original targets JWH, Glenn, and Walker ended staying with their current club, they have now managed to sign the best prop and second rower from the unsigned player list, despite other clubs also chasing both players.

Now if the right centre becomes available at the right price, its an even better recruitment drive.

I agree with this. I had issues with way we were going with Gus. Still have doubts over the coach but the off field decisions have been good so far

betcats

Referee

Tackled in opp twenty I believe we were very high, probably because we couldn't score once we got there and we forced more dropouts then most teams(weren't we first?) so it doesn't directly translate to us getting up the field easily.

Our wingers and halves ran the ball a lot I don't think the short fall for ARM came from them.

The yak

Juniors
I really don’t think we need more than RCG’s output. And Leniu & Leota could’ve provided some of that anyway.

If we had a problem getting field good field position I’d totally understand, but we didn’t.

There’s no doubt though that Tetevano brings good numbers on the field, though. In and of itself it’s a good signing talent wise.

A tad optimistic on Leniu.
He is very young and raw. His body is still developing. It would be a big effort to get 20+ games of first grade out of him next year.

MrBlack

Juniors

I was pretty critical of our lack of activity in the player market. Now - I think we have done pretty well. No rushed signings, no overs, no real has-beens.

franklin2323

Immortal
He is very young and raw. His body is still developing. It would be a big effort to get 20+ games of first grade out of him next year.

That is the case with several guys. No reason if they kick on they can’t push the signings out of the squad

Crashtest

Juniors
I really don’t think we need more than RCG’s output. And Leniu & Leota could’ve provided some of that anyway.

If we had a problem getting field good field position I’d totally understand, but we didn’t.

I was meaning off the field as well though. Leniu has played 5 games, and Leota is yet to really own his position in the team.

With RCG gone, they needed to bring in an experienced player to help lead the younger forwards, on the field and at training. Especially with Tamou off contract at the end of 2020.

Being able to bring in a premiership winning player that has been part of a winning disciplined culture of the Roosters probably played just as big a part in the decision to sign him as his on field performances did.

betcats

Referee

When we released Dallin and Waqa and brought up some young guys a few of these same posters l(im sure Herbert was one) argued we are constantly moving on experience because we have fallen in love and overrate our young guys. We need experience to win was the call at the time. Now we are signing experienced guys in their prime and Herbert is worried about these guys taking minutes off guys who have played less than ten games.

Tackled in opp twenty I believe we were very high, probably because we couldn't score once we got there and we forced more dropouts then most teams(weren't we first?) so it doesn't directly translate to us getting up the field easily.

Our wingers and halves ran the ball a lot I don't think the short fall for ARM came from them.

I guess what I’m saying is execution was a bigger issue than field position. Even if we improve going forward, it won’t amount to much unless the execution improves.

Leniu doesn’t have to play big minutes, it’s time for Leota to step up and do more. Leniu would’ve been the fourth prop in the rotation. Although now he may hardly play unless there’s injuries.

When we released Dallin and Waqa and brought up some young guys a few of these same posters l(im sure Herbert was one) argued we are constantly moving on experience because we have fallen in love and overrate our young guys. We need experience to win was the call at the time. Now we are signing experienced guys in their prime and Herbert is worried about these guys taking minutes off guys who have played less than ten games.

There’s no contradiction because I still wanted to buy experience, just in a different position.

My concern is our backs aren’t experienced enough.

Aliceinwonderland

First Grade
Leniu doesn’t have to play big minutes, it’s time for Leota to step up and do more. Leniu would’ve been the fourth prop in the rotation. Although now he may hardly play unless there’s injuries.

Leota I have earmarked for a huge 2020. Each year he has stepped up to the challenge and down what is required of him. A good old fashioned prop who knuckles down and does the pig work well. PS I love the joy when he scores too. It's like his 10 year old self bubbles to the surface.

I was meaning off the field as well though. Leniu has played 5 games, and Leota is yet to really own his position in the team.

With RCG gone, they needed to bring in an experienced player to help lead the younger forwards, on the field and at training. Especially with Tamou off contract at the end of 2020.

Being able to bring in a premiership winning player that has been part of a winning disciplined culture of the Roosters probably played just as big a part in the decision to sign him as his on field performances did.

Sure, but there’s experienced journeymen out there like Tim Grant.

Not sure someone whose been convicted on domestic violence is the person to help our culture. Sure, he may be a changed man, but people don’t forget things like that.

age.s

First Grade

Not sure what more he could have done. I'd like to see him get longer minutes but he was good in the time he got on the field (as was the entire pack), particularly starting in the last month or two of the season. He can't control how the coach wants to use him.

Leota I have earmarked for a huge 2020. Each year he has stepped up to the challenge and down what is required of him. A good old fashioned prop who knuckles down and does the pig work well. PS I love the joy when he scores too. It's like his 10 year old self bubbles to the surface.

I think he’s ready to step up too, but I’m not sure he’ll get the chance. Limited minutes available because JFH can play big minutes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts