What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sharks join with Fiji

Great move by the club

https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/s...n/news-story/55a7180b900504372ef6f130a59c96d0

Cronulla Sharks aid Fiji’s NRL dream with NSWRL inclusion
David Riccio, The Daily Telegraph
November 26, 2019 3:27pm

Subscriber only
Fiji is a step closer to joining the NRL.

In a major move towards the expansion of the NRL competition into the Pacific Islands, local Fijian team, the Kaiviti Silktails, will field a team in the NSWRL Ron Massey Cup competition next season - with the Cronulla Sharks joining forces with the Silktails.

Beating the Wests Tigers to form an alliance with the Silktails, the Sharks will help develop the next-generation crop of Fijian stars by exposing them to the club’s coaches, training facilities, fields and programs and other key resources.

Stream over 50 sports Live & On-Demand with KAYO SPORTS on your TV, computer, mobile or tablet. Just $25/month, no lock-in contract. Get your 14-day free trial and start streaming instantly >

ba0534e2945c90fbda2f5668003fb688

A Fijian team will play in the Ron Massey Cup competition. Picture: Kai Schwoerer

The Sharks logo will also feature on the Silktails jersey when they debut in the Ron Massey Cup, which sits below the current NSW Canterbury Cup.

The Silktails boast around 80 contracted players including women, a junior academy list and it’s senior men’s team.

The relationship between the Silktails and the Sharks is two-pronged with Cronulla eager to aid the development and open the pathways for a fresh wave of Fijian talent into the NRL, while also having the first opportunity to potentially sign the next Maika Sivo or Semi Radradra.

4a9a87a553cf3039a193b634b4a8b8c3

The venture are linking with Cronulla to develop a new pathway for Fijian players. Picture: Brett Costello
Fiji have made no secret of their desire to be part of the NRL one day, raising their level of funding towards the growth of the sport locally and in-return, their increased level of professionalism.

An indication of the country’s potential was evident in the Fijian national team’s 44-18 Oceania Cup victory over Samoa earlier this month.

The Sharks and NSWRL chief executive David Trodden will announce the historic partnership at a press conference on Wednesday.

The Ron Massey Cup is a semi-professional development level rugby league competition run jointly by the NSWRL and Country Rugby League and is comprised of 13 teams drawn from the Sydney metropolitan area.

9560da588679953f11f0fcc9d54ccba3

Cronulla will get the first crack at Fijian talent. Picture: Brett Costello
As has been the case with the inclusion of the PNG Hunters in the QLD Intrust Super Cup competition, the ultimate goal of including a Fijian side into the Ron Massey Cup is that players from the small island progress to the NSW Canterbury Cup or NRL.

Outstanding Melbourne Storm centre Justin Olam is a product of the Hunters.

In an interview with Triple M last week, NRL chief executive Todd Greenberg forecast the growth and expansion of the game by the arrival of a Fijian side into the NSWRL competition.

“There’s a fair bit of work going on around our board table at the moment (on expansion),’’ Greenberg said.

52bffc503d73a1b04f9063f2ac545352

Fijian stars continue to star in the NRL. Picture: Brendon Thorne
“It’s not just expansion at the NRL level, and I’ve said this before, whenever you say expansion it’s, ‘more teams, where are you going?’

“But next year we bring Fiji into the NSW competition. We’ve already got PNG in our QLD Cup competition.

“To have NSW as a fully-fledged state competition we need some regional centres to have NSW Cup teams and teams below that.

“So expansion is multifaceted, it’s not only at the elite level, it’s also at the level below.’’

bluefox68

Staff member
Yes, awesome news!

I've been to Fiji - and not just to the resorts...

I've been in the community, seen them play local rugby, and they absolutely love it.

Plus, the SHARKS brand is a great fit for a nation in the middle of the Pacific Ocean!

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
Hey you can see sharks off Fiji, as you can Cronulla.

Kikau should come here.

Oceania, even QLD gets it.

The pacific ocean.

About the only time I praise Manly.

Melbourne have some shit cold strait.

Does anybody else think that suddenly the club is being run by people who have been reading this forum archives from the last 10 years?
Buying satellite clubs & breaking the Kogarah Illawarra connection.
Moving in on FIJI(personally I think Tonga is better, but, lets get both)
Taking home games to Shark infested areas.
etc etc

Frenzy.

Immortal
Dead set I was stoked when I heard this on the car wireless coming home. Badge and Satts we’re talking about it and I’m thinking geez I hope The Sharks have squirmed into this somehow then right at the end Badge says the big winners out of this could be the Sharks.

Blimey, I got a travel fat

taipan

Referee
Wonder if the new CEO had something to do with this?Whoever did deserves kudos.
Going to Fiji early next year, might (if I've got room)take a bit of merchandise that I don't need or have too many of.
Love that country and the people.
And the beer towers.

carcharias

Immortal
Dead set I was stoked when I heard this on the car wireless coming home. Badge and Satts we’re talking about it and I’m thinking geez I hope The Sharks have squirmed into this somehow then right at the end Badge says the big winners out of this could be the Sharks.

I hate that
The one fat you get all year and ya in car .

carcharias

Immortal
Wonder if the new CEO had something to do with this?Whoever did deserves kudos.
Going to Fiji early next year, might (if I've got room)take a bit of merchandise that I don't need or have too many of.
Love that country and the people.
And the beer towers.

do it
I’m already collecting merch to take to png in March.

what was that cheap jersey website?

Quigs

Immortal

You shouldn't take pills while you are driving.

2012....Sharks Year

First Grade
Great news and foresight from the new management. ... hopefully we build on the relationship by playing a home game in Suva in 2021 (while we're still away from Shark Park).

Latest posts