What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Townsend keen to stay a Shark

So there's absolutely no alternatives at all to replace a bloke in the most important position on the field that is steady at best? Good bloke yeah, local junior - who cares.

Let's hope we can buy the equivalents of ennis jimmy and barba as well then.

I"m curious of everyone's opinion in here, why wouldn't an SJ / Moyza halves pairing work?

I see plenty of positives to it to be honest.
However we would need a hell of a leader in the 9 to decide who gets the ball and when. But aside from that, the potential in attack would be pretty exciting.
We'd win 2 or 3 games by 40 and lose the rest when they start hiding on the field when the chips are down. In a perfect world I'd rather have none of those 2 or chad in the team but unfortunately we're stuck with them. And woods

coolumsharkie

Referee
I don't get the Chad hate, maybe it's just trolling. He's not a Thurston type player, there are things that Chad does better than Thurston in his prime but because he is less flashy, not a game changing type player he cops a fair bit of flak.

He's the solid as rock general type half that gets the team out of the shit with good judgement in tactical plays. Most of which goes unnoticed by many because it's not flashy to make a great kick in general play to give the forwards a rest, be pivitol in his role in set plays,m make important defensive decisions, and take a back seat to players like Johnson, Moylan who create tries out of nothing.

Anyway we will keep him on board and sign him for 2 more years at least. Probably 3.

carcharias

Immortal
So there's absolutely no alternatives at all to replace a bloke in the most important position on the field that is steady at best? Good bloke yeah, local junior - who cares.

I’m not sure that is anyone’s actual argument.
I am not saying Chad is the greatest player getting around.
All I’ve said is compared to those 3 I mentioned I believe we’ve got the better deal all round.
He is a sponsors dream.
You get no external f**kwit stuff from him.
Contrary to some in here he is very valuable to the team.
There was one game toward the end of this year where he copped shit in here.
We won.
When I went back and checked out his game , he had a hand in every try we scored.
His defence was outstanding.
His kicking game was solid.
Some people just have an agenda against him.

I wanted DCE when he was on the market
He came to a meeting.
He used us to get the contract he wanted somewhere else.
That was the last real good available player.
I imagine he’d be more polarising than Chad.
Oh well.

I’m not sure that is anyone’s actual argument.
I am not saying Chad is the greatest player getting around.
All I’ve said is compared to those 3 I mentioned I believe we’ve got the better deal all round.
He is a sponsors dream.
You get no external f**kwit stuff from him.
Contrary to some in here he is very valuable to the team.
There was one game toward the end of this year where he copped shit in here.
We won.
When I went back and checked out his game , he had a hand in every try we scored.
His defence was outstanding.
His kicking game was solid.
Some people just have an agenda against him.

I wanted DCE when he was on the market
He came to a meeting.
He used us to get the contract he wanted somewhere else.
That was the last real good available player.
I imagine he’d be more polarising than Chad.
Oh well.
Fwiw i don't have any sort of agenda with him, i just think giving him another contract beyond this year is solidifying the midtable near enough is good enough feel about this club at the moment. He was decent in 2016, i think 2021 and beyond he should be replaced. He's that yard slower where he's not getting through the line when he takes it on and his decision making in close games last season was dreadful.

Just wait and see how it pans out i guess.

Quicksilver

Bench
We live in a salary cap league.

Yes, we could get a better halfback but he’s going to cost us. Johnson is our marquee half. Most of the time a team will only have one marquee level half as the money is better spent in other areas for squad balance.

Our other marquee players are in different positions.

If we get a better half then we weaken our 5/8 or some other area of the team.

Teams win comps with a standard players (even halfbacks). They have to- it’s how a cap competition works. You want your standard level players to be as capable as possible to lay a platform for the marquees.

Sheesh. Is it that hard to understand.

snout

First Grade
I"m curious of everyone's opinion in here, why wouldn't an SJ / Moyza halves pairing work?

However we would need a hell of a leader in the 9 to decide who gets the ball and when. But aside from that, the potential in attack would be pretty exciting.
I dont think get on.

snout

First Grade
We'd win 2 or 3 games by 40 and lose the rest when they start hiding on the field when the chips are down. In a perfect world I'd rather have none of those 2 or chad in the team but unfortunately we're stuck with them. And woods
My thoughts exactly.

Ive seen chad go at the line. Dummy and go through. But then for the next 15 weeks its all sideways at half pace.

The coach has to take somw blame here.
He has to be ordered ro play straight.
What made joey so potent?...many things but playing straight at the line was his greatest weapon.
If he had played sideways the way Chad does he wouldve been just another regular halfback with a great kick.

shaggs

Coach
Why spend millions on a half who throws the ball to some bloke on $95k, when you can spend half that on a guy who throws the ball to a better outside back on more money?

I don’t want a half to make a play every set. I want a guy who tackles his arse off, doesn’t shirk the hard work and gives early ball to the centres and wingers who can make the break. I want the guy who more than not can roll the ball into the In goal and get another set.

Chad is consistent. We know what we will get. Direct traffic, kick well and pass early.

shaggs

Coach
Sure we do.

But, you don't save money on cheap numbers 7's

Its probably the most important postilion in the game. This is where you spend money.

Maybe so. But who do you buy right now at this moment. ??

Don’t forget piano teeth spent a shit load on Dugan and Moylan, for long contracts.

ghoti

Bench

Both need someone to take the wheel at some stage when they inevitably lose touch of the game... It's not impossible but neither can lead on their own. Moylan commands very little authority and Johnson goes missing.
I
reckon it's possible with a strong 9 yeah, but they seem impossible to find atm. I Ictually think that Townsend might end his career as a hooker on that note.

MilkShark

First Grade
Maybe so. But who do you buy right now at this moment. ??

Don’t forget piano teeth spent a shit load on Dugan and Moylan, for long contracts.
I don't know mate but we should have a plan to get somebody.

I'm just saying we should not be skimping on a 7.

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
We have only replaced Jimmy, this is why we cannot make the GF. The halfback fulfills his role.

Hopefully Blayke can fill Enmis' shoes Jayden did not.

But Cooper had Teddy, and we have Moylan who cannot stay fit.

Laugh all you want a the reality of our situation.

Chad is not the problem, John Morris knows this, trolls be relentless.

We have only replaced Jimmy, this is why we cannot make the GF. The halfback fulfills his role.

Hopefully Blayke can fill Enmis' shoes Jayden did not.

But Cooper had Teddy, and we have Moylan who cannot stay fit.

Laugh all you want a the reality of our situation.

Chad is not the problem, John Morris knows this, trolls be relentless.
Moylan is the one I'd want shipped out if we were able to offload a single player out of this team. Was really hoping the tigers rumours were a goer

txta2

Bench
So you can’t answer it?
Who replaces Chad?
Chad's job is to control a game. Considering they have limped into semis then being smashed means something ain't right.
it ain't going to happen because of injuries but
7.SJ
6.Moylan
Chad bench, can cover 9 and when Moylan gets injured.

Latest posts