What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured and Confirmed signings - Part 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fangs

Coach
Tyrone May? he won't play 1st grade this year.

Korisau can cover halves should one of them go down, Kenny slots in hooker, Capewell covers everyone else, same as Naden or Whare for fullback, we have a very versatile team from the looks of it, this all regarding injuries on field game time, i wouldn't be picking people out of position day prior

Maybe not. We will know at the sentencing and the NRL's response.

I think Burton/Blore even Capewell in the halves before they move Korisau. Not saying he can't play there, he is just too good to move out of the position.

OldPanther

Coach
Tamou, and Yeo for mine, Cleary is still young, and can't be overloading him with captaincy duties, but he'll still be in charge on the plays and directions on field, but as for walking and talking to the officials has to be Tamou or Yeo

Cleary to captain is inevitable, but 2020 is too soon. He has yet to show he has a voice on the field (Confirmed by Fittler at Origin level as well). We need an experienced player to captain the side.

His job is already hard enough with his Dad being coach. Save it for later. He is obviously the dominant playmaker now and doesn't need the C to prove it.

Tamou doesn't play 80 minutes and Yeo being captain is kind of an insult to the rep halfback. Cleary has played 3 finals series and 2 origin series. In a team that is likely to be the least experienced and youngest in the comp with it's most experienced and accomplished player leaving now is the best time.

OldPanther

Coach

I think Burton/Blore even Capewell in the halves before they move Korisau. Not saying he can't play there, he is just too good to move out of the position.

Tyrone May is guaranteed not playing next year.

MugaB

Coach

I meant if 20 mins into gametime, if nathans or jerome is carried off or in HIA, Korisau jumps into 5/8th, for kenny to cover hooker,
Im all for bring in Burton but either Luai or Nathan have to be injured or suspensed for carrying a back on the bench.

Im not convinced on Api s current form, he is a great buy, don't get me wrong, but he was coming off the bench for manly, coz stabby mcstab-stab was playing out of his skin, then his fiji matches weren't convincing either, he will be better than katoa, and give great service, just worry he might go rogue in play making

franklin2323

Immortal
You are probably right about JFH. Depends how he recovers.

My fandom for Leinu would have him on the bench round 1. But it's more likely the experienced heads get the first shot.

That would mean Capewell starting over Martin. I think he has been signed as either a starting backrower or bench utility so he could fill either role.

I rate Leinu too but we have in the past rushed the guys and they don’t kick on. Kikau is proof slower can be better

hindy111

Post Whore
I didnt strictly meant captain. But enforcer, leader, pulls team together.

Roosters had Cronk, Cordner and JWH.
That was the glue the stuck the team together
I reckon this is same issue at Parra. Brilliant individual players but when in the trenches no Josh Jackson style if makes any sense.

MugaB

Coach
Tamou doesn't play 80 minutes and Yeo being captain is kind of an insult to the rep halfback. Cleary has played 3 finals series and 2 origin series. In a team that is likely to be the least experienced and youngest in the comp with it's most experienced and accomplished player leaving now is the best time.
I don't think Nathan is capable of captaining a team, till he consistently beats sides as if they are all last round knights, he does that for first 12 rounds consistently then I'll spray paint his name up on the stands next to Brandy, Gower, Moran, Simmons, and gladly accept him as captain.
No disrespect of course to those hall of famers

Fangs

Coach

Plenty of captains don't play 80 minutes. It's not the deciding factor here.

I don't think it's an insult at all. Some players aren't leadership material. Just because you are the halfback and have played in big games doesn't mean you get the C.

For that very reason - 'inexperienced and young'...Cleary should not be captain. It's a huge burden to carry, he doesn't need the responsibility. Give it to someone more experienced.

He will be captain, one day. He ain't ready and he doesn't need it.

Last edited:

OldPanther

Coach
I don't think Nathan is capable of captaining a team, till he consistently beats sides as if they are all last round knights, he does that for first 12 rounds consistently then I'll spray paint his name up on the stands next to Brandy, Gower, Moran, Simmons, and gladly accept him as captain.
No disrespect of course to those hall of famers

Plenty of captains don't play 80 minutes. It's not the deciding factor here.

I don't think it's an insult at all. Some players aren't leadership material. Just because you are the halfback and have played in big games doesn't mean you get the C.

For that very reason - 'inexperienced and young'...Cleary should not be captain. It's a huge burden to carry, he doesn't need the responsibility. Give it to someone more experienced.

He will be captain, one day. He won't ready and he doesn't need it.

He's won 3 from 3 without another dominant playmaker in the team scoring 1, 3, 4 tries respectively.

I disagree that he doesn't need it. Knowing his personality of not being much of a talker and dominant himself I get that and AM that myself and believe it'll be a benefit to him trying to lead the team as the number one playmaker.

Edit: I also believe a spine player should be captain since they are the directors of the team. So that's my bias for clarity.

MugaB

Coach
He's won 3 from 3 without another dominant playmaker in the team scoring 1, 3, 4 tries respectively.

I disagree that he doesn't need it. Knowing his personality of not being much of a talker and dominant himself I get that and AM that myself and believe it'll be a benefit to him trying to lead the team as the number one playmaker.
Yeah but give it to him when he is winning 12 from 12, as a reward, the fans with definitely back him after he proves he deserves it, regardless who his dad is, at the moment dads coach and nathan looks like silver spoon until he wins games consistently

martielang

Bench
Double the minimum wage for a current international lol yeah good call champ. Please explain how you came up with that valuation?

That's my point though, if he didn't play for the Roosters I don't think he'd be considered anywhere near international level nor be commanding those dollars. He's a serviceable player, could be a good pick up, but I don't think he's a bargain buy. He's Dunamis Lui from a better club.

betcats

Referee
That's my point though, if he didn't play for the Roosters I don't think he'd be considered anywhere near international level nor be commanding those dollars. He's a serviceable player, could be a good pick up, but I don't think he's a bargain buy. He's Dunamis Lui from a better club.

Maybe, it is possible. It is also possible he would be starting at another club and producing a lot more and be worth a lot more. There is absolutely no guarantee he'd be worth less. 250k seems like a pretty arbitrary number to me, 100 k less than Rohfield suggested we are paying......it makes us look bad doesn't it? I am still curious how you arrived at that figure?

age.s

First Grade
No I was probably a bit hyperbolic but does anyone think there's even a chance?

Definitely. I wouldn't put money on it personally, but it's certainly possible. He's apparently well liked within the team and at worst provides value to the squad (if not the 17). If he remains a free man it doesn't seem all that crazy.

Status
Not open for further replies.