What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured and Confirmed signings - Part 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

BxTom

Bench
Tyrone May is guaranteed not playing next year.
Unless they take into account the fact that he has already been punished by not being able to play for the 2019 season. How about we wait for the sentencing and the NRL/Penrith reaction.

OldPanther

Coach
Unless they take into account the fact that he has already been punished by not being able to play for the 2019 season. How about we wait for the sentencing and the NRL/Penrith reaction.

I did say in later comments it was poorly worded hyperbole to get my point across that I believe the NRL's new hardline reaction to incidents involving women will be his downfall.

My personal feelings are that he should get a fine and maybe some kind of educational thing and be allowed back.

I've had no benefit of the doubt by people who should know me well enough on here.

Crashtest

Juniors
Only problem with the Morris thing is that apparently (James Hooper warning) the Sharks salary cap is about to be fixed up.

TL;DR: prior to England.

I don't think just releasing Prior will fix all their all cap problems though, so they may still have to release another player.

The article says that up until Prior's departure the Sharks only had $29,000 to fill their remaining 4 positions. With their strong forward pack in recent years, I don't think Prior would of been on more than $300K, so that would still only leave them around $330,000 for 4 roster spots.

OldPanther

Coach
I don't think just releasing Prior will fix all their all cap problems though, so they may still have to release another player.

The article says that up until Prior's departure the Sharks only had $29,000 to fill their remaining 4 positions. With their strong forward pack in recent years, I don't think Prior would of been on more than $300K, so that would still only leave them around $330,000 for 4 roster spots.

No idea but at a guess think prior would be closer to $500k.

ACTPanthers

Bench
If I plead guilty to the same charges May has, there's no way I keep my job... I'm also pretty sure, actually, scratch that, I'm 100% sure, that no one would be saying it was unfair if I was sacked.

Serious charges like this would spell the end of most careers, at most jobs, and I'd probably find myself labouring if the hypothetical above was to come to fruition.

FWIW I'm not saying he's a monster or anything, more that the average Joe wouldn't have the opportunity to keep getting paid from his employer while this played out, and he most definitely wouldn't be kept on the books if he plead guilty.

Anyway, my 2 cents.

If I plead guilty to the same charges May has, there's no way I keep my job... I'm also pretty sure, actually, scratch that, I'm 100% sure, that no one would be saying it was unfair if I was sacked.

Serious charges like this would spell the end of most careers, at most jobs, and I'd probably find myself labouring if the hypothetical above was to come to fruition.

FWIW I'm not saying he's a monster or anything, more that the average Joe wouldn't have the opportunity to keep getting paid from his employer while this played out, and he most definitely wouldn't be kept on the books if he plead guilty.

Anyway, my 2 cents.

A lot of employers wouldn’t even be aware their employee had been charged. On the scale of things it’s a pretty minor offence, if you weren’t famous there’s a good chance it wouldn’t even be in the news.

franklin2323

Immortal

Anyway, my 2 cents.

plenty in the game that the same thing applies too though

ACTPanthers

Bench
A lot of employers wouldn’t even be aware their employee had been charged. On the scale of things it’s a pretty minor offence, if you weren’t famous there’s a good chance it wouldn’t even be in the news.

Mine would... And any APS employee would most definitely lose their job - It absolutely is against the APS Code of Conduct. And I'm not even bringing AGSVA in the equation.

And why does it being in the News make a difference..? Whether publicly reported or not, I'd lose my job as would any other APS member

Mine would... And any APS employee would most definitely lose their job - It absolutely is against the APS Code of Conduct. And I'm not even bringing AGSVA in the equation.

And why does it being in the News make a difference..? Whether publicly reported or not, I'd lose my job as would any other APS member

Being in the news is only relevant to the employer being aware you’d been charged.

Many people would lose their jobs, many wouldn’t. No hard & fast rule is all I was saying.

ACTPanthers

Bench
You may be able to keep it from your current employer but most employers now require a police check before starting a new job. You would get found out when you changed jobs.
I'll add to that the fact that if you didn't make it known to your employer, and they did indeed find out about it, you'd be in a bit of shit.

Just the people I work with at the moment, all of whom hold some level of security clearance, would be in a world of hurt if something of this nature came to light and they were trying to hide it.

OldPanther

Coach
plenty in the game that the same thing applies too though

I've already been through that part. The NRL's attitude has shifted in very recent times. May is after that and the ones playing are before.

Any defence force member would have an interesting time as well.

ACTPanthers

Bench
I've already been through that part. The NRL's attitude has shifted in very recent times. May is after that and the ones playing are before.

Any defence force member would have an interesting time as well.
Actually, that reminds me of something else.

When I was Army, just out of Kapooka and starting my IETs in Melbourne, I got done for low level DUI. Now, I reported it the very next morning, through my hierarchy, and the next thing I know I'm being marched into the Commandants office. He said, in essence, that because I reported it straight away, I did myself a massive favour. He had soldiers previously with similar incidents that tried to hide it. It came out eventually and those soldiers had to show cause to stay in the Military, some apparently not succeeding. Myself? I had no further action taken because I reported it, if I hadn't, odds are my Army career would've been a very short one.

It’s kinda weird a penalty for May hasn’t been announced already. Once he’s pled guilty do the NRL need to do any investigation? They knew the charges, I would’ve thought they’d have a penalty ready to go.

Kilkenny

Coach
I understand all the viewpoints in respect of what May did I’m just not sure ihe should lose his career over it. In the scheme of things there are more serious criminal offences and I think that will ultimately be reflected when his sentence is handed down.

Reactions: Bob

betcats

Referee
It’s kinda weird a penalty for May hasn’t been announced already. Once he’s pled guilty do the NRL need to do any investigation? They knew the charges, I would’ve thought they’d have a penalty ready to go.

The muppets are still looking at the Fifita one. It’s an open shut case of Fifita assaulting that security guard and they’ve been discussing his punishment for this long, it boggles the mind.

betcats

Referee
Being in the news is only relevant to the employer being aware you’d been charged.

Many people would lose their jobs, many wouldn’t. No hard & fast rule is all I was saying.

Im a low level employee at a big bank(not big four) I am required as part of my employment contract to inform them if I am charged with anything at all. I’ve been there for ten years and they just did another back ground check on me. They do them every five years as well as random ones. Charges like Mays or JDBs would put me out the door within five minutes of my employee finding out. They protect their rep fiercely, we had a guy get fired because news.com wrote a negative article about a lavish Xmas party we threw during the gfc, all this guy did was attend the party and point at the media photographers as he walked in, he found himself on the 5th page and he was gone the day after the story. Public listed companies will not cop any reputational damage because it’s reflected in their share price, once that price starts dropping heads start rolling, forget about whether you actually broke a law or not.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.