What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Week 12

shiznit

Coach
This is the end result of trading your future away, going to waste some of the best talent assembled with a terrible line.

I think there’s gonna be some serious questions asked of Snead’s overall strategy.

they’ve set the contract market for their QB, RB, DT and will have to do it for Ramsay.

its possible to do so and still keep going... but when you become THAT top heavy you end up having to use cheaper labour to fill the rest of the roster out.

Rookie contracts are the best way to get cheap but potentially game breaking blue chip talent... but the fact they have traded away all those 1st’s kinda compounds the problem.

now they are going to have to fill it with lower riskier picks.

as that dude from Dodgeball said... “It’s a bold strategy there cotton, let’s see if it pays off for them...”

nearly did last year I guess...

nick87

Coach
Snead’s overall strategy is almost certainly directly linked to the owners new stadium and the issues around it and selling PSL's etc as outlined in the most recent Wickersham piece

Stan Kroenke's stadium is blowing it's budget significantly, the Chargers are bringing almost nothing to the table to help offset costs, the LA market is not taking to the rams quite like the NFL thought they would... Kroenke needs that Rams to be good and he needs it to be good immediately to try and fill that stadium and capture the LA market... i just dont see it happening with Goff, now that teams has sort of caught up with McVey in what he was doing with Goff, they've figured out how to limit McVey's impact and put it all onto Goff and he isnt that guy

KeepingTheFaith

Referee
Very real possibility that if the Cardinals take another step forward next year the Rams could be propping up the basement and might do so for awhile.

Worst thing they could do now is get desperate and throw away more picks trying to get better faster.

kurt faulk

Coach
Snead’s overall strategy is almost certainly directly linked to the owners new stadium and the issues around it and selling PSL's etc as outlined in the most recent Wickersham piece

Stan Kroenke's stadium is blowing it's budget significantly, the Chargers are bringing almost nothing to the table to help offset costs, the LA market is not taking to the rams quite like the NFL thought they would... Kroenke needs that Rams to be good and he needs it to be good immediately to try and fill that stadium and capture the LA market... i just dont see it happening with Goff, now that teams has sort of caught up with McVey in what he was doing with Goff, they've figured out how to limit McVey's impact and put it all onto Goff and he isnt that guy

why don't you worry about wentz?

the rams will be ok. just a horrible year for the oline. the whole gurley thing is a mystery. and mcvay needs to take a hard look at his offense because the other teams can sniff out a lot of the plays. but then his hands are tied with the oline most of the time.

i'm sure they'll take a hard look at everything in the offseason and make the necessary changes. the first will obviously be to prop up that oline.

kurt faulk

Coach
Very real possibility that if the Cardinals take another step forward next year the Rams could be propping up the basement and might do so for awhile.

Worst thing they could do now is get desperate and throw away more picks trying to get better faster.

i don't think so on both fronts.

nick87

Coach
why don't you worry about wentz?

Because to a large extent we're playing with house money, the Wentz pick/era has already paid off and delivered the SB ring (even if it came unconventionally and even if you dont want to give Wentz ANY credit for the SB, the reason you want a young qb is they are cheap and allow you to build around them to win, which is what happened and the team assembled, as well as Wentz's high level play which delivered the #1 seed delivered the SB).

So regardless of what happens from here, that's a success. Also three game winning touchdowns have been dropped inside the 2 minute warning. All passes that hit the receiver in the hands and should have been caught. But in terms of the future, if the Eagles dont give him some competency and speed at WR, yeah i do worry about Wentz... He's not the "take what they give me" Qb you want for a team with bad skill players... so he's going to play badly and look bad until such time as he's got WRs who can actually run the routes correctly, separate and catch.

The reason people worry about Goff is he was looking like one of the worst draft picks of all time, then McVey came in and saved him, and now the league has caught up with McVey and altered their approach so he cant give Goff the answers to the quiz, he's back to looking like a disaster, except now he's got the huge money to go with it. And this Rams team is so top heavy in terms of salary, they cant afford an albatross at QB

kurt faulk

Coach
Because to a large extent we're playing with house money, the Wentz pick/era has already paid off and delivered the SB ring (even if it came unconventionally and even if you dont want to give Wentz ANY credit for the SB, the reason you want a young qb is they are cheap and allow you to build around them to win, which is what happened and the team assembled, as well as Wentz's high level play which delivered the #1 seed delivered the SB).

So regardless of what happens from here, that's a success. Also three game winning touchdowns have been dropped inside the 2 minute warning. All passes that hit the receiver in the hands and should have been caught. But in terms of the future, if the Eagles dont give him some competency and speed at WR, yeah i do worry about Wentz... He's not the "take what they give me" Qb you want for a team with bad skill players... so he's going to play badly and look bad until such time as he's got WRs who can actually run the routes correctly, separate and catch.

The reason people worry about Goff is he was looking like one of the worst draft picks of all time, then McVey came in and saved him, and now the league has caught up with McVey and altered their approach so he cant give Goff the answers to the quiz, he's back to looking like a disaster, except now he's got the huge money to go with it. And this Rams team is so top heavy in terms of salary, they cant afford an albatross at QB

I think you know a lot more about the eagles than the rams.

All your rams knowledge seems to be regurgitated from media idiots. Goff looked nowhere near like the worst draft pick of all time. He looked like a rookie qb on a Jeff Fisher team with Rob boras as the oc. And typically all the good stuff is mcvay and all the bad stuff is Goff.

That's kindergarten analysis. So your typical media article.

nick87

Coach
Goff was f**king miserable in his rookie year. Absolutely miserable. That’s not media regurgitation, it’s what I watched every week once he got the job mid year.

As for this year, certainly there is issues on the OL. And McVey’s scheme has not adapted well so far to teams adapting to his wild success, but Goff is also playing very poorly and has now for nearly a year dating back to last year where the rams got to the SB in spite of him.

I mean you gotta defend your guy, I get that. But this could be a disaster for the rams.

If McVey can’t get Goff back on track, they’re going to be a pretty ordinary football team in the foreseeable future. Especially when the FO keeps moving picks for star power to help fill the stadium. Hard to improve the OL without draft capital and limited cap space

And look, McVey is a very good coach so maybe he’ll adjust but if he doesn’t... yikes

kurt faulk

Coach
where the rams got to the SB in spite of him

haha, really man?

if any other qb had brought his team back against the saints in that environment everyone would have been drooling all over him. but since it's goff the team must have carried him.

how can i take anything you say seriously?

nick87

Coach
I dunno Kurt, but I think many of us ask the same questions about you. Haha.

As I said, I get it. Goff is the guy for the rams and you gotta back your guy. I understand that. But you are living in an absolute fantasy land if you don’t think there the concerns for the rams are legitimate.

they’ve got nearly 100m tied up in cap space for Goff, Cooks, Donald and Gurley. And the Ramsey deal isn’t even done yet, and lord knows that won’t be cheap... where is the draft capital or cap space coming from to fix the holes in the roster?
They need a lot help at pretty premium positions.
And if they cant get it fixed and consistently win 10-12 games a year and capture that market, they’ll be playing in a home stadium and needing time move to silent counts against any team whose fans travel.

It’s objectively a tough spot for the rams to be in, and if Goff doesn’t figure this out and this is just who he is... they’ll be eating cap in 2 years time and rebooting

and yeah eagles will be too if this is what Wentz is, except they at least got the ring

shiznit

Coach

that LA stadium article was interesting...

especially the little tidbit about everyone being f**ked off that the Raiders are siphoning LA fans to Vegas... :joy::joy:

like what the f**k...everyone knew the Raiders had the most fan support in LA but the f**king idiots in charge decided to put the Rams and Chargers in LA.

they hid behind the whole league not wanting to promote the gang culture argument... but it had more to do with Kronke not wanting to get overshadowed by his tenant in his own stadium.

it all worked out great for us though... the Death Star is nearing completion...

images

And we’re hosting the draft this offseason to boot.

kurt faulk

Coach
I dunno Kurt, but I think many of us ask the same questions about you. Haha.

As I said, I get it. Goff is the guy for the rams and you gotta back your guy. I understand that. But you are living in an absolute fantasy land if you don’t think there the concerns for the rams are legitimate.

they’ve got nearly 100m tied up in cap space for Goff, Cooks, Donald and Gurley. And the Ramsey deal isn’t even done yet, and lord knows that won’t be cheap... where is the draft capital or cap space coming from to fix the holes in the roster?
They need a lot help at pretty premium positions.
And if they cant get it fixed and consistently win 10-12 games a year and capture that market, they’ll be playing in a home stadium and needing time move to silent counts against any team whose fans travel.

It’s objectively a tough spot for the rams to be in, and if Goff doesn’t figure this out and this is just who he is... they’ll be eating cap in 2 years time and rebooting

and yeah eagles will be too if this is what Wentz is, except they at least got the ring

well, they are the rams. they screwed up the gsot pretty quickly.

but that's because they had people in charge that had no idea how to run a football team. plus they let martz run the drafts. it was doomed long term as soon as they pushed vermeil out the door.

this time round they have the right owner/gm/coach to carry it through. i hope.

kurt faulk

Coach
that LA stadium article was interesting...

especially the little tidbit about everyone being f**ked off that the Raiders are siphoning LA fans to Vegas... :joy::joy:

like what the f**k...everyone knew the Raiders had the most fan support in LA but the f**king idiots in charge decided to put the Rams and Chargers in LA.

they hid behind the whole league not wanting to promote the gang culture argument... but it had more to do with Kronke not wanting to get overshadowed by his tenant in his own stadium.

it all worked out great for us though... the Death Star is nearing completion...

images

And we’re hosting the draft this offseason to boot.

nobody wanted the raiders in LA. why would kronke want to share his stadium with a team that has way more support than his team does in the city? he's not stupid.

but more importantly nobody wanted the chargers in vegas. the raiders in vegas made the most sense. the owners may not know much about football but they sure know a lot about making money.

and is that a picture of a toilet seat? i only took a quick glance at it. give it a try.

shiznit

Coach
nobody wanted the raiders in LA. why would kronke want to share his stadium with a team that has way more support than his team does in the city? he's not stupid.

but more importantly nobody wanted the chargers in vegas. the raiders in vegas made the most sense. the owners may not know much about football but they sure know a lot about making money.

and is that a picture of a toilet seat? i only took a quick glance at it. give it a try.

yeah.. he’s not stupid...the budget has absolutely blown out...

And the Rams and Chargers can’t meet the SSL targets set for them. Which they tried to blame on the LA market not a market that buys SSL’s.

Only for the Raiders to far exceed their target which includes a huge amount from LA.

If Kronke had the Raiders as a tenant that stadium would be smashing its SSL targets.

But of course Kronke’s too smart for that... :joy::joy:

The Death Star may look like a toilet seat at the moment...

but it will soon be operational...

images

nick87

Coach
I think the NFL made the right moves on the Rams and Raiders... yeah the Raiders to LA would have been better but no f**king way you trust that market to the Mangina Bowl cut boy

Kroenke was the right man for that market.
The problem was letting the chargers go with them, just an abject disaster, the market although big was never built to sustain two NFL franchises so quickly.

They should have figured out a way to keep the chargers in SD, and figured out a stadium deal.

The Raiders to LV is a good fit and will be great for 10-20 years until the LA market is ready for a second NFL team, or maybe it works out in LV. Good options either way

nick87

Coach
this time round they have the right owner/gm/coach to carry it through. i hope.

I think that's right too... long term
But based on all the reporting, the owner might have some short term needs and requirements of the franchise that impact the ability of the GM and Coach to make the right choices for success,

When Snead writes his autobiography i wonder how many of these "all in" moves being made right now are football decisions vs business decisions. It's a fascinating little subplot... long term, yeah Kroenke, Snead and McVey... that franchise is in execellent hands on all levels

kurt faulk

Coach
yeah.. he’s not stupid...the budget has absolutely blown out...

And the Rams and Chargers can’t meet the SSL targets set for them. Which they tried to blame on the LA market not a market that buys SSL’s.

Only for the Raiders to far exceed their target which includes a huge amount from LA.

If Kronke had the Raiders as a tenant that stadium would be smashing its SSL targets.

But of course Kronke’s too smart for that... :joy::joy:

The Death Star may look like a toilet seat at the moment...

but it will soon be operational...

images

this is about the next 30 years. why would stan want another team taking support away from his team? the chargers certainly won't do that. he didn't even want them there, they were forced on him.

i think the league wants the chargers to be sold to a more desirable owner so they can eventually move back to san diego. i'll give it a few years.

Haffa

Chargers should move to London. They’d draw a bigger crowd at White Hart Lane. With a rebrand they’d also be able to tap into a market which would expand the TV revenue.

AusKnightRKO

First Grade
this is about the next 30 years. why would stan want another team taking support away from his team? the chargers certainly won't do that. he didn't even want them there, they were forced on him.

i think the league wants the chargers to be sold to a more desirable owner so they can eventually move back to san diego. i'll give it a few years.

Stan is an absolute muppet, unfortunately he owns Arsenal, so i get to see his uselessness from two sports.