What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2021 RLWC draw

langpark

First Grade
Yes, on the RLWC twitter account, cannot seem to find it now though. Was meant to be 27/11, which would have been exactly two years before the Grand Final. So it's a shame that that won't be the case now.

paulmac

Juniors
I’d hope the draw is seeded in such a way where you could only have 2 nations from the same region in the one pool. I’d hate to see an all European pool for instance of England, Lebanon, Scotland & Ireland .
World Cups should be about clashes of styles & cultures

Burns

First Grade
Thinking about it some more, maybe they want the IRL to announce the 2020 fixtures for Oceanic Cup etc, before doing the World Cup stuff.

Which I guess means by end of January we could have 2 years of fixtures locked in!

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
RL only plays one set relevant games every one or even two years. So tennis strategy where there are 10 or more tournaments a year isn't really valid

So accumulating points can't be applied when you have 40 in one region and only have 10 or less in the other regions

So it's better to apply a last win strategy in your ranking strategy

For the Kiwis it was 2 wins over the same opposition. So you use the last match or average the results not double them

Fair points. I think the IRL are addressing this by having more regular international tournaments; regionals (Euro, Oceania, MEA, Americas) every even year and a global tournament every odd year (World Cup, Confederation Cup?). We might see the rankings become a bit more transparent and smooth once that cycle is running.

I see your point about the Kiwis but at the end of the day GB is (technically) a teir 1 nation and the Kiwis won both so the results should stand, they could have lost both too but they didn't. Madge seems to have them playing really well at the moment. I think if they had a rematch against Australia after the GB matches it might have been much closer as they found their groove.

Storm13

Juniors
Group A
England
Fiji
France
Ireland

Group B
Australia
PNG
Scotland
Greece

Group C
NZ
Lebanon
Wales
Italy

Group D
Tonga
Samoa
Jamaica
Cook Islands

jim_57

Staff member
Group A
England
Fiji
France
Ireland

Group B
Australia
PNG
Scotland
Greece

Group C
NZ
Lebanon
Wales
Italy

Group D
Tonga
Samoa
Jamaica
Cook Islands

Looks like some selective "randomisation" there. Can't say I'm upset.

Storm13

Juniors
Looks like some selective "randomisation" there. Can't say I'm upset.
Group C I would say is the most competitive from 2-4. The other three groups kind of take care of themselves. Could still be some upsets though.

adamkungl

Immortal
It all works as expected - Seeded "pots" will be randomly allocated into the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th spots of each pool, headed by England, Australia, New Zealand and Tonga.

The one special rule is that in the first pot draw, Lebanon can not be in England's pool, to ensure that each pool has at least 1 of the 6 major pacific nations (Cook Islands in the last Pot are not counted here).

jim_57

Staff member
It all works as expected - Seeded "pots" will be randomly allocated into the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th spots of each pool, headed by England, Australia, New Zealand and Tonga.

The one special rule is that in the first pot draw, Lebanon can not be in England's pool, to ensure that each pool has at least 1 of the 6 major pacific nations (Cook Islands in the last Pot are not counted here).

Sure I've read somewhere that England V Pot 1 will be the opener. So England V Fiji/Samoa/PNG. All should be competitive, I'd love to see Tonga & Samoa in the same group though even if the draw is rigged to get there..

wc trophy men's, women's and wheel chair

World-Cup-trophies-678x381.png

Force

Juniors
I would go:

Pool A
England
Fiji
France
Ireland

Pool B
Australia
PNG
Wales
Greece

Pool C
New Zealand
Lebanon
Jamaica
Cook Islands

Pool D
Tonga
Samoa
Scotland
Italy

Misanthrope

Staff member
I'm so glad we're going back to conventional groups rather than the artificial competitiveness of the seeded 'supergroup'.

It does mean there is a pretty clear stand-out in each group (although England's recent form doesn't guarantee they'll get past their Pacific opposition for #1), but the groups do leave it open for a genuinely surprising #2 making it through to the knock-out stages.

The 2021 Rugby League World Cup, which will be staged on our shores, is still more than 20 months away but all 16 countries have now qualified.

England, Australia, New Zealand, France, Wales, Jamaica, Fiji, Lebanon, Papua New Guinea, Samoa, Tonga, Italy, Ireland, Scotland, Greece, and the Cook Islands will be in the draw for the competition which runs from October 23 and November 27.

The draw for the men's, women's and wheelchair competitions will be made on January 16, 2020.

Cook Islands were the last to qualify and despite his sin-binning in the second half, St Helens second rower Dominque Peyroux played a part in their 38-6 victory over the USA and will be just one of a plethora of star-studded players from the Totally Wicked Stadium in the selectors' thoughts ahead of the tournament.

Peyroux could be joined in the Cook Island set-up by St Helens team-mate Zeb Taia but now 35 and not having been called up since 2013 at international level, he may miss the cut.

England will, however, be able to call on the services of a host of talented individuals, including Tommy Makinson, Jonny Lomax, Alex Walmsley, James Roby, Mark Percival and Luke Thompson, providing they are all fit and maybe the up and coming Jack Welsby, who has just signed a new deal, while Wales will have Regan Grace and Morgan Knowles at their beckon call.

France will have Theo Fages in the mix, Kevin Naiqama is expected to skipper Fiji, and there are one or two others who have already featured for different countries.

Aussie Lachlan Coote played half a game in a GB shirt during the recent tour Down Under, but is also a Scotland international; Louie McCarthy-Scarisbrook has donned both the England and Ireland shirt; Kyle Amor has represented the Irish and Joseph Paula has worn the Samoa shirt.

In 2021, more teams than ever will take part with four pools of four nations competing in 17 venues across England, including the Totally Wicked Stadium..

All quarter finalists from the preceding World Cup automatically qualified and the remaining eight nations were decided by a qualification process based on global regions determined by the International Rugby League.

The draw for the men's, women's and wheelchair competitions will be made on January 16, 2020.

https://www.sthelensreporter.co.uk/...iDvRAgfw0FvQGZu770o2lCRg8LrPeqncn7MFo2rrqcAmo

Prince Harry, HRH The Duke of Sussex, will host the draw for the 2021 World Cup at Buckingham Palace on January 16.

A patron of the RFL since December 26, he presented the Challenge Cup trophy to Warrington at Wembley last August.

ADVERTISEMENT
He will conduct the draw for the men’s, women’s and wheelchair tournaments, which begin on October 23, 2021 at St James’ Park Newcastle.

The draw will reveal the opening fixtures for each tournament, including England.

Chief Executive of RLWC2021, Jon Dutton said: “We are delighted and honoured that The Duke of Sussex will be hosting the draws from one of the most famous landmarks in the world. His achievements in driving inclusivity in sport with the Invictus Games and his wider projects within rugby league makes him the perfect fit for the draw.

ADVERTISEMENT
“I am looking forward to seeing who the nations are drawn against, which will really spark the countdown. There’s one thing that’s certain, we’re going to be treated to some world-class rugby league across all three tournaments.”

The tournament is the pinnacle event for rugby league and RLWC2021 will be a landmark event for the sport with the men’s, women’s and wheelchair tournaments set to be held simultaneously for the first time.

ADVERTISEMENT
Fixtures will be held in world-class venues across the country, the Emirates Stadium, London, the Copper Box Arena in Queen Elizabeth Olympic Park, London and Anfield, Liverpool, culminating with a double-header men’s and women’s final at Old Trafford, Manchester.

https://www.loverugbyleague.com/post/prince-harry-to-host-2021-world-cup-draw-at-buckingham-palace/

deluded pom?

Coach
I’m far from being a royalist but how good is it to see Harry involved? He’s done more in a couple of years than any of his relatives have done in decades.

Latest posts