What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Game 2020 Jerseys/Logos/Sponsorships

sempmrh

Juniors
That actually wouldn't be a bad away/alternate for the Storm.
The colours look very washed out there - in person it's a richer yellow colour.

The club doesn't seem to know what to do with the yellow or our colours in general. It's officially not supposed to be one of our colours anymore but they keep using it here and there (and for some reason they've been using an almost neon yellow for membership and social media stuff). The grey they tried to introduce for 2019 looks to be gone already and from the limited 2020 gear I've seen yellow is back again. Why they don't just listen to fans when it comes to yellow I'll never understand.

gunpk

Juniors
Why did Manly change their perfect home jersey after one season? Also why do they continue with that all maroon look? Every Manly supporter I've spoken to want the white shorts back.

callmack1

Staff member
Not a fan of Manly's Home and like many, I see no reason why they changed from 2019's design.

Their Away is nice though.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
I've long thought that too many teams/organisations have lost touch with what a good jersey looks like. Aside from sponsors slapped all over jerseys like bumper stickers these days (a sad necessity to raise $), the vast majority are awful..

Clubs like the Roosters and Souths have it right. Stick to their history and it works. As for the rest - including my Dragons (Red V great, alternative strip has been attrocious of late for mine) juts keep dishing up toilet..

Simple is best.

Or another way to put it - in 30 years time will we see any of the current jerseys as "classics" and of the quality of the current retros you'd see in Mick Simmons...

https://www.micksimmons.com.au/collections/nrl-retro

All are absolute classics (except the Knights one for me - why they didnt do Henny Penny instead baffles me).

I say you wont see a single one..... none... the art has been lost.. We are all poorer for it.

I disagree. Most clubs have actually gone back toward traditional or iconic designs. Penrith, Bulldogs, more recently Eels and Cowboys, even Warriors.

AJB1102

First Grade
Manly home is horrid. Reminds me a little of the Cowboys horns crap.

Away is nice though, like that.

And yeah I'd guess they had to change up from last year's due to new jersey makers.

Nuke

Staff member
I seem to be in the minority, in that as a design element, I quite like the shallow chevrons.

Okay, it's not better for Manly than what they had previous, and in this era of clubs (finally) mostly realising that the classic designs are MUCH better, it's odd that a club has moved on from their traditional design, but I don't mind it. Still looks like Manly. The shorts should be white though...

Nuke

Staff member
Newcastle will be unveiling their 2020 kits on Friday. Main kit should still be virtually the same, but the alternate one may be tweaked / revamped with the club moving from ISC to O'Neills.

I've long thought that too many teams/organisations have lost touch with what a good jersey looks like. Aside from sponsors slapped all over jerseys like bumper stickers these days (a sad necessity to raise $), the vast majority are awful..

Clubs like the Roosters and Souths have it right. Stick to their history and it works. As for the rest - including my Dragons (Red V great, alternative strip has been attrocious of late for mine) juts keep dishing up toilet..

Simple is best.

Or another way to put it - in 30 years time will we see any of the current jerseys as "classics" and of the quality of the current retros you'd see in Mick Simmons...

All are absolute classics (except the Knights one for me - why they didnt do Henny Penny instead baffles me).

I say you wont see a single one..... none... the art has been lost.. We are all poorer for it.
Henny Penny Knights retros are available. I've seen them at Peter Wynn's Score

Rooster8

Juniors

Simple is best.

I think in 30 years time only key teams within key years will have retro jerseys made. Etc Storm from the late 2000's-early 2010's, manly from early 2010's, Roosters from mid-to late 2010's, maybe sharks from 2016, cowboys from 2015 and rabbits from 2014. No ones going to pay $99 or more for a Titans 2017 retro jersey in 2050.

gunpk

Juniors
Manly are saying the home jersey was inspired by the original jersey.
It just doesn't look like Manly especially with the all maroon look. This all maroon look reminds me of the Barrett era
5-home-slide.jpg 6-away-slide.jpg

I disagree. Most clubs have actually gone back toward traditional or iconic designs. Penrith, Bulldogs, more recently Eels and Cowboys, even Warriors.

i can see some of these.. But can you please show me /refer me to the Dogs one you mean?
For me the 80’s and 90’s (eg “Hyundai”) are cracking strips I refer to, but can’t recall them going back to the same pattern.. rather variants of it..

When the Sharks brought back their classic strip a few years ago I thought it was the best jersey in the comp. then they messed with it again sadly.

And maybe to reword my previous comments.. what “new” design will become a future classic.. (rather than re-introducing a classic design)..

Reflector

Juniors

Simple is best.

+1.

I recall when Classic first released those retro jerseys, the Knights one had the HP sponsors logos on it, then they got removed and it was a plain jersey, then they slapped those BP logos on them (oversized and the placement is too high on the front, but that's another story)

I get that clubs want the sponsorship dollars, but having so many logos on the jersey cheapens the sponsors' identity with the club and cheapens the look of the code as a whole. You talk about what current jerseys will be classics in 30 years- think 30 years ago to the 'Simply The Best' era and you can STILL remember most of the major sponsors. I challenge you to say the same for even 5 years ago without needing to look it up.

Reflector

Juniors
Wow! Back to early/mid 90s "Block and lines" jerseys!!

With Manly doing a Pepsi-jersey inspired away, Penrith doing a version of their 1991 all sorts jersey & the Cowboys looking to their original strip as inspiration for 2020, it's very cool that old family of jerseys is back.

Can we now have Souths, Roosters & Gold Coast do "striped saddle" designs like they had in the 1990s???

Seriously though, jersey design has come a long way since the horrors of the early-mid 2000s (which reached an apex in the "Ugliest Grand Final ever" - Tigers v Cowboys 2005)

Disagree- the ugliest GF ever was 2006. You had the cheating purple filth with Medibank and Hostplus plastered all over the front/ back, then you had the Broncos with those awful white/ navy away jerseys that bore no resemblance whatsoever to the Broncos' brand, colour wise. Then there were just rubbish calls all night. Ugly ugly ugly. Plus the Storm getting beaten was something I could only enjoy with hindsight.

MugaB

Coach
Wow! Back to early/mid 90s "Block and lines" jerseys!!

With Manly doing a Pepsi-jersey inspired away, Penrith doing a version of their 1991 all sorts jersey & the Cowboys looking to their original strip as inspiration for 2020, it's very cool that old family of jerseys is back.

Can we now have Souths, Roosters & Gold Coast do "striped saddle" designs like they had in the 1990s???

Seriously though, jersey design has come a long way since the horrors of the early-mid 2000s (which reached an apex in the "Ugliest Grand Final ever" - Tigers v Cowboys 2005)
Tigers was alright, atleast they wore orange