What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Why don’t NRL clubs buy Union players anymore?

Homo man69

Juniors
Players like Ricky Stuart, Michael O’Connor and Scott Gourlay were all ex wallabies. There are heaps more that I need to look up who were successful. Players like James O’Connor, Beale, Cooper and Foley would do very well in the NRL. Some of those players were on the verge of coming but no clubs were interested. Yet take 2 to 3 players each year from the NRL. Also don’t say we take there juniors. We do take some but it’s a risk. Players like Tepai Morea were absolute superstars in the juniors but just didn’t crack it in the NRL. Also like Morea and Barnes. They play a bit of NRL then go back to Union. Berrick Barnes was a huge loss. C’mon NRL clubs let’s start taking atleast player for player.

bazza

Referee
union players used to get $0 per game
now they get paid similar rates to rugby league players so if you want to get one to change you would have to pay top dollar for someone who might not be that good

Perth Red

Post Whore
Because they can:

1. Earn more money playing an easier sport
2. Travel the world representing their country in front of large crowds
3. Become an Olympian
4. Be more famous

Homo man69

Juniors
Because they can:

3. Become an Olympian
4. Be more famous
Union players don’t get stopped in the street. League players do. Sure it’s only in nsw/qld. I’ve remember SBW saying he was more famous globally but only semi famous. Where in league the fame was so intense that he was on the verge of getting a bodyguard.

Homo man69

Juniors
Because if the NRL took Union players who would warm the benches for the Qld/NSW Cup comps?
I promise you players like Matthew Burke, Adam Ashley-Cooper, James O’Connor, Kurtley Beale, Will Genia etc etc would not be sitting on the bench for reserve grade. I haven’t even cracked into All blacks or SA.

jim_57

Staff member
I’m so sick of this response. So your club wouldn’t take Koroibete?

Players who've proven themself in League are a lot less of a risk. I do wonder why Radradra has clubs chasing him regularly yet Koroibete hasn't been spoken about in NRL circles since he left

Unless NRL goes down the Super League model of having cap exemptions for Union players then it probably isn't worth the risk to sign any player except returning former League players.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Union players don’t get stopped in the street. League players do. Sure it’s only in nsw/qld. I’ve remember SBW saying he was more famous globally but only semi famous. Where in league the fame was so intense that he was on the verge of getting a bodyguard.

Having some merkin want to pick a fight with you in two states, or bali, doesnt really qualify as fame lol

Because they can:

3. Become an Olympian
4. Be more famous

And there’s probably a corporate gig waiting at the end of all that too if they want it.

Travitoh

First Grade
I promise you players like Matthew Burke, Adam Ashley-Cooper, James O’Connor, Kurtley Beale, Will Genia etc etc would not be sitting on the bench for reserve grade. I haven’t even cracked into All blacks or SA.

There are plenty of union juniors in the NRL but trying to sign proven Wallabies or All Blacks would cost clubs approx $1m each.
That much for guys with little to no league experience is a massive risk and would only lead to more NRL players going the other way due to salary cap restraints.

TheFrog

Coach
The best union players are making a mint playing in local comps in places like France and Japan. The NRL nor the ARU can compete financially with clubs in those comps as many of them are privately owned by billionaires.
"How to become a millionaire- Start as a billionaire and buy a football team"- David Argyle, Owner of Toronto Wolfpack.

typicalfan

Coach
Players who've proven themself in League are a lot less of a risk. I do wonder why Radradra has clubs chasing him regularly yet Koroibete hasn't been spoken about in NRL circles since he left

Unless NRL goes down the Super League model of having cap exemptions for Union players then it probably isn't worth the risk to sign any player except returning former League players.
Union overpay wingers in general. They have less impact on the game than they do in league.

I mean 2m or whatever it is for Semi is probably almost 4 X the max value you would pay for a winger in league.

What is better value, Semi at 2m or Sivo at what? Low 100kish

Canard

Immortal
Hasn't there been like a dozen junior Union players signed by club's like the Broncos and Souffs in the last few months?

typicalfan

Coach
Hasn't there been like a dozen junior Union players signed by club's like the Broncos and Souffs in the last few months?
Yep, pick up the ones that can make it early and develop them. Most will have league backgrounds already and in Australia, you are more famous playing League. Even Union juniors will recognise a Thurston Tedesco or Slater quite easily.

Latest posts